C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I might attend a Car Show!

Old 03-27-2017, 02:15 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default I might attend a Car Show!

I hate Car Shows, but might take one down to Plastic Fantastic in San Diego and set up tribute for Dick Guldstrand and my late Father!
I know that show is mostly newer cars, and wondering if it would be worth the effort to put together a tribute display! Thinking about taking his (Guldstrand's) Shop Doctors smock, shop banner, his personal racing plaque board, some shop signs and some other things!

I tend to not not want to sit there from 8am to 3:00pm before you are allowed to leave! Kind of like being in jail! The last Car Show I tried to sit in, I removed the organizers chain and drove on out almost over Organizers who tried to block my exit! Damn the cars are just so loud, I probably should have just push rolled it up to the chain, to not have caused the commotion! Everyone was sleeping, and I woke them up and they ran on over to stop me!

And I definitely ain't a wax and polish kind of guy! I am wondering if I will snap!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-27-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:23 PM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've gone to the last three and it's probably 25-30% older cars. I've taken the 65 and the 62. You can leave early if you want just ask them to park you in a spot you can get out relatively easy. You can spend 1-2 hours looking at the cars and then if you walk to lunch that kills another couple of hours. You do have to leave your car unattended so if that bothers you too much, I guess plan "B".
Old 03-27-2017, 02:28 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Thanks

I don't want to leave the tribute stuff unguarded! The car, I would hear someone start it, and could probably get a magazine shot off before they get away!
Maybe I should talk to the organizers! It has been over 20 years since I have upset North County! Most of those guys probably no longer around!

Cool to hear some cool C1s and C2s still attend!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-27-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:39 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

I definitely will post up my Corvette car Judge/NCRS sign related to No Trespassing in my spot!
Old 03-28-2017, 05:56 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Definitely go!

Folks can't remember what they don't know.... so tell em!

You can put your docs on a table under a big piece of glass or plexiglass.. that way that can't be just "picked up". Take a buddy to watch the table.

You might only "reach" 03%... but if a show has 5000 people come by, well that is... 150!

And don't forget to take pics (post here) and have fun!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

That's why I take a split window to car shows; everybody already knows all about it:

1) Its got a steel body,
2) First year for the 427ci
3) You can't see out the back
4) Mickey Thompson had 12 of them
5) They look most original with the factory knock-off wheels

So, go to the show, but don't think you'll win hearts and change minds with a few old documents...
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
jrs 427 (05-26-2017), Loren Smith (05-26-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:25 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

leave the memorabilia at home unless you want to spend your time protecting them. go for the camaraderie and to see the sights...; leave when you get burned out

Bill
Old 03-28-2017, 07:27 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Im with you, thats why I really enjoy Cars & Coffee. Show up, grab a coffee, walk around for an hour or so, look at everyone's ride, go back and look at the two or three that are really cool, and then leave and get on with your day. My ADD is waaaay too strong for all day car shows.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:04 AM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Im with you, thats why I really enjoy Cars & Coffee. Show up, grab a coffee, walk around for an hour or so, look at everyone's ride, go back and look at the two or three that are really cool, and then leave and get on with your day. My ADD is waaaay too strong for all day car shows.
I'm with you on that cruise nights are good to stay look at the cool stuff and leave when you want. I think you get less nut jobs at cars & coffee and cruise night then shows.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:55 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Go to the show simply to remind yourself why you dislike car shows so much. Guarding the memorabilia can be a real pain. It's a shame things have become that way because there will be a few enthusiasts there who would truly appreciate the materials. Unfortunately, they will not get a chance to see them due to the usual behavior of some of the attendees. Nowadays even club shows aren't safe - the members are usually O.K., but the non-member spectators seem to believe that anything that isn't nailed down is a free souvenir of the day.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:04 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,363 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
Go to the show simply to remind yourself why you dislike car shows so much. Guarding the memorabilia can be a real pain. It's a shame things have become that way because there will be a few enthusiasts there who would truly appreciate the materials. Unfortunately, they will not get a chance to see them due to the usual behavior of some of the attendees. Nowadays even club shows aren't safe - the members are usually O.K., but the non-member spectators seem to believe that anything that isn't nailed down is a free souvenir of the day.
Its not just car shows....I was doing a static display at an airshow a few years back, and some guy started going through the stuff in my helmet bag and then attempted to take the knife out of my flight vest....some people just don't get it.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:14 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,294 Likes on 559 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I have been to the last 4 Plastic Fantastic shows.
It's a great event in a stunning location (Harbor front downtown).
Lots of C1-C4 cars there.

I know many of the guys in the NCCC.. Likely many you knew are still there.
It is a logistic challenge to get cars out before the end of show (mainly due to spectators walking). If you don't like the format, why force it?

I was chatting with a member last weekend, and they have decided to limit the show this year to 400 cars, and no "register on site" this year. They had 450+ cars last year, and it was too many to handle. If you decide to go, better register soon.

Last edited by SDVette; 03-28-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:59 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wmf62
leave the memorabilia at home unless you want to spend your time protecting them. go for the camaraderie and to see the sights...; leave when you get burned out

Bill
You guys should know I am not good at camaraderie!

I an still torn on attending car shows! The primary thing I have done at them, is give advice to guys that have claimed hot rod cars they claim to be building at home! But then occasionally I find someone to tell or hear old war stories from! I am also funny in how my moods are! Sometimes I relish a little attention and sometimes I wake up and don't want to talk to anyone!

Usually I sit back away from the cars and just watch women or the lookie Loos! If I see someone really confused, I might let them know that I am the Owner of the mystery! Or if I see someone come back multiple times, then I might step over and see what brought them back!

Maybe I tend to over think attending!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:04 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
You guys should know I am not good at camaraderie!

I an still torn on attending car shows! The primary thing I have done at them, is give advice to guys that have claimed hot rod cars they claim to be building at home! But then occasionally I find someone to tell or hear old war stories from! I am also funny in how my moods are! Sometimes I relish a little attention and sometimes I wake up and don't want to talk to anyone!

Usually I sit back away from the cars and just watch women or the lookie Loos! If I see someone really confused, I might let them know that I am the Owner of the mystery! Or if I see someone come back multiple times, then I might step over and see what brought them back!

Maybe I tend to over think attending!
I tend to be kinda sorta like you, especially at a show where I know no-one...

remember... you can ALWAYS leave...

Bill
Old 03-29-2017, 01:07 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
I think you nailed it, in line one! Yes getting somewhat senile! Maybe I need to go for a reminder!

I kind of free guilty having been given some of the Guldstrand stuff that Dick handed me or his shop guys sat aside for me! Then I went to his Estate Sale and felt a Corvette guy would be a more appropriate person that he would have preferred to end up with his stuff! And since it has just been inside my house with no one to see any of it!

Him and my Dad were true friends since the 1950s and they both died within the same year period! If I take a relative with me, I might take two cars! But U hear that show sells out all of the spots fast! I only paid one $33 dollar entry!

The one car car has all of the GRA club original decals of his still on it! The car of ours that was shown on his old website!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-29-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:11 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I think you nailed it, in line one! Yes getting somewhat senile! Maybe I need to go for a reminder!

I kind of free guilty having been given some of the Guldstrand stuff that Dick handed me or his shop guys sat aside for me! Then I went to his Estate Sale and felt a Corvette guy would be a more appropriate person that he would have preferred to end up with his stuff! And since it has just been inside my house with no one to see any of it!

Him and my Dad were true friends since the 1950s and they both died within the same year period! If I take a relative with me, I might take two cars!
ENJOY !!!!

Bill
Old 03-29-2017, 01:13 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wmf62
I tend to be kinda sorta like you, especially at a show where I know no-one...

remember... you can ALWAYS leave...

Bill
Thanks

And sometimes I can totally convince or fool total strangers that I am super friendly and social!

Also maybe I will fire the engine for the sake of the kids! I have to be careful of infants in strollers in close proximity!

Having kids get enjoyment and fascination out of seeing our cars is way better than any interaction with any adults!

Maybe I will fish an after show race with some of the C7 guys! I might stick the NOS stages back on the car!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-29-2017 at 01:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To I might attend a Car Show!

Old 03-29-2017, 01:21 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Well.. you can go for less altruistic reasons as well.

Put up a sign that says you collect vintage Racing Memorabilia, Parts, and Documents.

You never know who you may come in contact with....
Old 03-29-2017, 01:26 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SDVette
I have been to the last 4 Plastic Fantastic shows.
It's a great event in a stunning location (Harbor front downtown).
Lots of C1-C4 cars there.

I know many of the guys in the NCCC.. Likely many you knew are still there.
It is a logistic challenge to get cars out before the end of show (mainly due to spectators walking). If you don't like the format, why force it?

I was chatting with a member last weekend, and they have decided to limit the show this year to 400 cars, and no "register on site" this year. They had 450+ cars last year, and it was too many to handle. If you decide to go, better register soon.
I already paid for one car! If I showed them the memorabilia, they would probably add me for free!

Your car had had to be really appreciated and drawn attention! I think I missed you at a past show! I kind of walked around and saw some stuff that was cool and then headed out! The cars I thought to talk to the Owners about, They seemed to be swamped with attention from a slight crowd! The tips on ideas to protect memorabilia is appreciated! Maybe write up an information board, so I do less question answering! I should find a picture of Dick in one of his smocks!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:34 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Revfan
Well.. you can go for less altruistic reasons as well.

Put up a sign that says you collect vintage Racing Memorabilia, Parts, and Documents.

You never know who you may come in contact with....
I do have one set of rims that came off of someone's Autocross C3 that my Dad picked up that aren't to my Vintage tastes! Maybe bring one and put a for sale sign for the entire set! They still have some dried up BFG race tires on them!

Ya! Thanks! Maybe fish for old literature to help on my history passion for the old days! I recently bought stuff from Ed Avalos if I spelled his name right, who is an old friend of my late father and was President of Vette Set and the other South Bay club That is slipping my mind at the moment! (Got it Stratos Vettes) ! I showed him an old picture OC him leading a tricycle race at one of the WSCC Conventions! I asked him how many beers he had drunk before entering! That picture is in one of the Corvette News mags!

Maybe ask him if he wants to go! He can talk to all of the fellow old guys! He knows practically everyone! The last old racer guy that knew every one other than Chuck Hance was Doug Hooper!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-29-2017 at 01:43 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I might attend a Car Show!