C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New stereo install - Scanspeak, Zapco, MiniDSP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 PM
double0b
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New stereo install - Scanspeak, Zapco, MiniDSP

Hi Everyone,

It's been a lot of years since I've dabbled in car audio, but shortly after buying my 06 C6 in August, I knew that the OEM Bose navigation and speakers had to go.

I started with a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX head unit, with a pair of pre-outs feeding a MiniDSP C-DSP 6x8 signal processor, outputting to a 5-channel Zapco amplifier. 1 channel for each front tweeter, one for each front mid, and one for a single subwoofer. The mid and tweeter baffles were made from 1/2" white birch plywood. The subwoofer enclosure is from VetteNuts. After several high-end home audio projects with Scanspeak and North Creek Audio, I knew that I wanted to have Scanspeak in the C6. I'm super pleased with that decision.

The pics dont show it, but I used Noico 80mil sound deadening on all reachable surfaces of the door, and the entire trunk. I didnt pull the seats or front carpet to apply there - perhaps in the future.

The MiniDSP was a huge learning curve for me, and there is a lot more tuning to go, to really bring this system to life, but I must say that it definitely already night/day better than any of my previous builds.

Head unit: Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
Signal Proccessor: MiniDSP C-DSP 6x8
Front Tweeters: Scanspeak D3004/6020 Illuminator series
Front Mids: Scanspeak 10W/4434G Discovery series
Subwoofer: JL 10w3v3
Amplifier: Zapco STX-5ii
Sound deadening: Noico 80mil

Here are some pics from my build.
Attached Images         
Old 03-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Nice System! I really like that sub box.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:23 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Good job! I did pretty much the same thing except kept the factory nav and added some pre-amp outputs to it.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:30 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Very nice and clean installation!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:37 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,386 Likes on 836 Posts

NICE, very nice!
1) how did you choose Noico 80mil
2) elaborate on the mini-DSP please!! I used one some years ago for a home project - how are you using it? equalization using calibrated mic??
Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 PM
double0b
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went back and forth on the damping material, and after seeing a few installs on these boards, pretty good reviews on Amazon, and some consistently good reviews on DIYmobileaudio, I decided that it was worth a try. So far I'm pleased. The foil backing is very thin compared to the old Dynamat xtreme that I'm used to, but it also made it a bit more pliable for the installation.

When I started the build, I was going to go old school with passive crossovers, but the more I researched, I decided that an active system was what I would want in this car, and using the factory locations for the mids/tweeters. The C-DSP is specifically designed for car audio systems. The software isnt as nice as some of the more expensive units, but for $300, I cant complain. The controls are very flexible. I'm using as an active crossover for the highs/mids/sub, equalization using MiniDSP's calibrated microphone, and time alignment.

Originally Posted by acroy
NICE, very nice!
1) how did you choose Noico 80mil
2) elaborate on the mini-DSP please!! I used one some years ago for a home project - how are you using it? equalization using calibrated mic??
Old 03-30-2017, 09:16 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,386 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by double0b
I went back and forth on the damping material, and after seeing a few installs on these boards, pretty good reviews on Amazon, and some consistently good reviews on DIYmobileaudio, I decided that it was worth a try. So far I'm pleased. The foil backing is very thin compared to the old Dynamat xtreme that I'm used to, but it also made it a bit more pliable for the installation.

When I started the build, I was going to go old school with passive crossovers, but the more I researched, I decided that an active system was what I would want in this car, and using the factory locations for the mids/tweeters. The C-DSP is specifically designed for car audio systems. The software isnt as nice as some of the more expensive units, but for $300, I cant complain. The controls are very flexible. I'm using as an active crossover for the highs/mids/sub, equalization using MiniDSP's calibrated microphone, and time alignment.
Good info thanks
I'd not considered using DSP for a car... intrigued
Old 03-30-2017, 10:28 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nice job!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:53 PM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have used a mini dsp in my home setup. How do you measure the interior and determine any mods to the frequency response?

Get notified of new replies

To New stereo install - Scanspeak, Zapco, MiniDSP

Quick Reply: New stereo install - Scanspeak, Zapco, MiniDSP