C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone using the B&M Star Tek starter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 02:50 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Is anyone using the B&M Star Tek starter?

I need a solenoid for one. Its made in china and B&M no longer sells or services the starters. So I have no source for a solenoid for it. Anyone have any ideas.

The starter motor hasn't been heat soak damaged like the factory unit. But apparently the solenoid has. I can tap on it and it works part of the time.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't know if you still have starter/generator/alternator indie repair shops in your area. Your unit may have used a general, off the shelf solenoid, which could mean the right one still exists. It's just a matter of linking it up. That's where an expert in starter motors (possibly someone who rebuilds them) would know which one would work.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:24 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Fortunately, there is a shop in town that specializes in starter and generator/alternator rebuild. I dropped off the factory starter today. When I Pick It Up I Will Leave THE Chinese Junk THERE To See If they Can reference a solenoid
Thanks
Old 03-29-2017, 12:15 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
Fortunately, there is a shop in town that specializes in starter and generator/alternator rebuild. I dropped off the factory starter today. When I Pick It Up I Will Leave THE Chinese Junk THERE To See If they Can reference a solenoid
Thanks
shouldn't be very difficult for a rebuilder to get one.did you look at your original to see if they are similar or even identical?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:27 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by irok
shouldn't be very difficult for a rebuilder to get one.did you look at your original to see if they are similar or even identical?
I did look at the factory unit. Its different. I hope the rebuilder can source one for me so I have a spare starter.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:49 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You ARE lucky to have one in town. They're like "tv repairman"--almost non-existent except in farming/industrial areas (I did find one tv repair shop fellow not far from me). Just a question: why do you like having a spare starter? Do they go out on your car frequently?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:57 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by AORoads
You ARE lucky to have one in town. They're like "tv repairman"--almost non-existent except in farming/industrial areas (I did find one tv repair shop fellow not far from me). Just a question: why do you like having a spare starter? Do they go out on your car frequently?
I don't really care to have a spare. But I have the factory one I took off that is now being rebuilt. That leaves me with the aftermarket one that is a high torque unit that is strong, just needs a solenoid. So rather than toss it, I'll try to source the solenoid and have a spare. The aftermarket unit is stronger and has not been affected by heat soak nor was it ever affected by heat soak during track events. So that's a plus. Just needs a solenoid, darn it.

It aint like its a 2 minute job to change with headers. I have to drop the header to remove the aftermarket unit
Old 03-29-2017, 09:00 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by AORoads
Yes I am fortunate to have a rebuilder in town

And there is an auto parts store in town that has most anything. and if they don't they'll have it tomorrow. If they can't get it. you wont find it. That is definitely a luxury.

Get notified of new replies

To Is anyone using the B&M Star Tek starter?

Quick Reply: Is anyone using the B&M Star Tek starter?