C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

worst body shop ever..

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:21 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default worst body shop ever..

here's one for books. I am practically finished with the bodywork on my 64 roadster and discovered something really upsetting.

the headlight bucket holes are in the wrong place. Apparently sometime in the history of this car somebody did a repair on one side or both that placed the headlight bucket holes off center by 3/4". I'm horrified!

the center of the hood matches the corresponding point on the nose perfectly but if I measure from the center to the passenger side bucket hole that measurement is 3/4" more then that same measurement on the drivers side. I wonder if somehow a 65-67 piece may have been spliced in, I believe they are different.

I have 2 choices.. replace the entire nose or move one or both bucket holes. I need to know the correct positions before I decide.

if you have a 63 or 64 please provide me with the following measurements.. I bet only one is wrong since the center metal brace is placed correctly, dead center.

theories welcome
Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2017, 03:34 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

That is interesting. I am surprised it didn't get noticed before,as you can see both headlights at the same time, unlike say door skins.

A look underneath should tell what was spliced in where.

You can fix it with a saw and some fiberglass work, or just new front panel.

if the existing panel is all honked up underneath, a new panel may be best option.

Doug
Old 03-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Measurment

On my new jig assembled PM front end ..... your A & B measurement is
11 ½ inches from inside bucket to center point stinger . Good luck
Old 03-29-2017, 03:55 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

thanks for the measurement..

passenger side is ok... drivers side is wrong

Last edited by ohpoppy; 03-29-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:09 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Now that is a real kick in the *****. I know when I do bodywork I like to get the car outside and stand away from it at a distance and many times mis-alignments that are not evident at close range come into view when standing back 15 or so feet. Close up I bet your panel goof isn't too evident but stand back and I bet it becomes more obvious. Get back to work and fix it otherwise it will bug the crap out of you.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

the car is in a standard 2 car garage, nose is 3' from the garage door. I did the insides of the passenger bucket hole and then fine tuned its edges. then went to do the drivers side. somehow I caught it..

I was up half the night worrying about it.. yes, its a kick in the *****.

I just tried to call the original owner to ask him but sadly he died just a couple of months after he sold it to me. I wonder if he knew.

the bodyman that did this must be named moe, larry or curly

Last edited by ohpoppy; 03-29-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:52 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

There are a lot of things that will move with the headlight opening and splicing in a piece may not be all that easy. If you replace the complete headlight panel it might be easier and cheaper. You will also get nice openings that will allow you to fit the doors properly. I agree with the suggestion to look up from underneath. That way you can see just how much work has been done before. I had a similar issue on my recent 65 rebuild. When I had the body off and on the dolly, I went around a measured everything. Sure enough, the right rear fender was 1/4 inch closer to the center line than the left. Something that you would never notice once the car was done, but something that would drive you nuts for as long as you own the car. I measured my 67 and determined that the right fender was the problem. After a week of work, it was fixed. A bad deal, but a lot better than discovering the problem after paint.

Good Luck,

Doc
Old 03-29-2017, 05:03 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

a likely suspect....

Bill
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2017, 06:30 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Your top surround is a 65-67, not a 63-64, but that shouldn't effect the position of the headlight openings. On 63-64 noses, there are two indents where the nose emblem mounts. Without the indents, you either need to make extra large mounting holes, making it difficult to position the emblem properly, or the emblem won't sit flush.

I think at the minimum, I would replace the upper headlight panel, but first I would check the measurements and fit of the whole nose, to make sure everything else lines up properly.

I have a new 63-64 top surround panel in stock, and it measures 11 3/8" from the nose center line to each of the rough headlight openings.

Below is a picture of the holes for the 63-64 nose emblem, on the surround panel I have. Only the two small holes at the bottom of the recesses, get drilled out, not the whole recess.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:42 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
a likely suspect....

Bill
I think he may have hit the years grand prize of nefarious body work. Good luck fixing it.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

It's not " bad " body work. Repair looks functional. Just had one of those days with the ruler. He probably saw it after paint and thought, ...... its not that noticeable. Obviously the buyer didn't notice prior to purchase.
I cut a board too short ( twice ) on one house. When ones mind wanders it gets out of range sometimes. What was the excuse I used, ... long day , problems of many , ladder climb to second story confused my ruler. I'm sure there were more.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:41 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Fortunately you discovered this BEFORE paint, so consider yourself lucky and cut your loss by replacing that panel and move forward with your project. Pilot Dan
Old 03-29-2017, 07:54 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

I did check underneth and their is nothing suspicious at a glance. all original GM parts from way back when. Bonding was with a thickened clear resin done very sloppily probably in the 60's or 70's.

verdict is whodever attached the headlight support brackets did it with no thought, A calamity of errors leaning everything towards the passenger side. The nose support is off 1/8" so somebody tweaked the hood and the center body panel to fit. panel is also slightly tilted. Add it all up it adds to 1/2" off, not 3/4 like I originally measured,

I would need to move all the headlight supports to get it within 1/8". I suspect its been
driven for mooch o years like that. I think I'll do a 1 piece from half-way of the fender-wells forward. around 1200. hate to remove original parts but I want to get it done and now knowing nose may not be a 64.. what the heck. I put aftermarket quarters on it anyway.

I would still like that total measurement "C" anyway.. I'm going to sleep on it and inspect tomorrow.

funny.. was going to post Marty Feldman's photo myself, instead of mentioning the 3 stooges. just saw sherlock holms smarter brother the other night
Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Bubba's Beer Bait and Body Shop!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:08 PM
61 Roadster
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 85 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Corvette of the Year Finalist 2018
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Worst...Body shop... Ever.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by jrs 427
It's not " bad " body work. Repair looks functional. Just had one of those days with the ruler. He probably saw it after paint and thought, ...... its not that noticeable. Obviously the buyer didn't notice prior to purchase.
I cut a board too short ( twice ) on one house. When ones mind wanders it gets out of range sometimes. What was the excuse I used, ... long day , problems of many , ladder climb to second story confused my ruler. I'm sure there were more.
No. Its absolutely bad bodywork....

Form, fit and function...

Satisfying only the last of those three parameters doesn't cut it...

To the OP: Those front end wheel well repairs rarely go well....the repair line always seem to come back after a time.... I'm not telling you to do another whole hood surround (I'm no body man) but maybe there is some other alternative without the possibility of a bad outcome. I judged a black/black '63 split window fuelie last year that had a partial front clip repair done at the wheel wells. The repairs were clearly visible on both sides and ruined the looks of an otherwise gorgeous car...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-29-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

I don't understand how that happened. The beam under the nose positions the headlight bucket end panels in place. If the opening is not in the correct position, Someone must have attached those panels in a spot other than where they are supposed to be. How are yours attached to the beam? Are original holes visible?

Get notified of new replies

To worst body shop ever..

Old 03-29-2017, 09:04 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Ok worst body shop ever!

I am torn between George Barris and Gas Monkey!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-29-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

From what you have said so far, I would be concerned that a major repair was done on the car. If it was my car, I would start by measuring everything. Is the front clip in the tight place, is the car square, etc. Don't do a half way fix that will look lousy later. Splicing in a one piece front end does not sound like a good plan.

​​​​​​​Doc
Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 PM
ohpoppy
Instructor

the original holes are there..the heAdlight support brackets have 2 slotted mount holes each. when fastening they can be attached center to the holes, to one side or the other or tilted. they are tilted and slid to the passenger side. they could be broken loose and reattached towards the drivers side. I may do that but the corners will have to be redone and I would have put the headlight doors in first to get the alignment right. I did alot of glass work already to make the doors fit in there right which may not work after I move everything. the doors sat in really badly before I reworked everything. all that work for nothing and maybe making fitting more differicult after moving them over

Quick Reply: worst body shop ever..