Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5 Z06 14k miles, what cam package and NECESSARY supporting mods???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:12 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Default C5 Z06 14k miles, what cam package and NECESSARY supporting mods??? *video*

Hi all,

I've checked my spring and they are the dreaded yellow ones.

Id like to change them for something better and said to myself, why not upgrade cam while at it?

What do you all suggest?

So far I have no performance mods whatsoever apart a k&n drop in air filter cartridge and a MGW shifter.

What would be a good choice in a cam?

I plan on doing the TI Mod this summer. I dont think I can afford Long tube headers and a cam swap all at the same time.

I'm doing all the labor myself along with the tig welding for the exhaust.

Is it a problem doing Long Tubes after the cam install?

What do you all suggest?

I'm pretty worried about those springs, REALLY dont want to ruin my motor.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Georgies; 08-07-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:29 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,929 Likes on 2,014 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Depends a lot on what your goals/expectations are.
Are you just wanting to wake the car up a little more, build a N/A beast, or eventually go with a SC?

The best advice I think I ever heard on here is to build your car backwards. In other words, if you know where you want it to be when your done, it will help you know what the best order is to get there, and will save you money in the end.

I'd normally say do headers first and build on them later, but I can see doing a cam first too (if it's not a beast) since your going to have the heads off and be changing springs.

As for cams, you'll get a different answer from everybody you talk to. I personally like LG's cams.
The G5X2 is a good performance cam that will really wake your car up. I chose the G5X3 with a 112 LSA. It's a real good high performance cam with a very lumpy idle.

I also have great confidence in Vengeance Racing too. I believe you could speak with someone at either place and find what is right for you. ( And of course there are many others)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:29 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advise Lewis. I think what I really want is to wake up the car.

Id like to hit faster than my best so far which is 12.4 @ 116mph.

Id also like a good idle that will go well with the TI Mod.

Also would like to maybe get into a few lapping event (i have never done any)

Is the LSA what makes that rough idle. I was looking at the MS4..

Not sure if that need for speed will bit me later on, so not sure if forced induction will be on the menu..

Why do I need to take off the heads for the cam swap?

I was thinking cam, dual springs, valve seals, pushrods, double roller timing chain(if needed) and same for the oil pump.Will also need gaskets for the intake? Not too sure I guess I need to do my homework!

And maybe rockers if needed? I'm not to sure lol

Thanks
(if you have any good read ups on understanding LS6 cams/motor info) please tell me
Old 03-30-2017, 04:55 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,929 Likes on 2,014 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Based on the fact that you said you were definately going to replace your valve springs, you will have to remove the heads, or the valves will fall into the cylinders. (Unless you pressurize your cylinders)

Also, depending on what cam you choose, you will need the appropriate lifters, pushrods, valve springs, timing chain, crank pin, and a professional tune.

I highly recommend you call a reputable/professional shop like the 2 I listed and discuss your goals and expectations with them. They build these cars everyday and know what combinations work best.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:29 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Dont most guys slide wooden long dowels in to keep the valves from falling?

I was thinking of ordering everyuthing from Texas Speed & Performance cause they have the MS4?

I'm in Canada, so I really need to make the right order without missing out on any parts.

Im gonna check out Vengance.

Not too sure about LG...I heard alot of their stuff is made oversees and im really not a big fan of anything thats not made in USA, Canada or Germany...
Old 03-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Potent68
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You can absolutely do your valve springs with the heads on the car. I just did my '02 a few days ago. Just get the air hose that threads into your spark plug hole (Lisle 19700 is the tool) and holds the valve up with air pressure from a compressor.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM
HONK 3X
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I changed my valve springs when I first got my 2003 Z06. It is easy with basic mechanical skill and some patience. I used an air compressor and pressurized the cylinder through the spark plug hole on each cylinder. The job took about 2hrs.

Also, a few weeks ago I purchased my cam kit through Tick Performance. I recommend buying the package as all the proper valvetrain components and pushrods are included. My car already had Longtubes, X-pipe, corsa sport, and a vararam Intake. It was super fun and made great power before I did the cam. I recommend changing your springs to the blue gm ones then start with a new intake like a vararam and do headers and exhaust, and tune.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:39 AM
HONK 3X
Advanced

the wooden (5/16") dowels keep the lifters from falling into the motor when you pull the cam.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:40 AM
HONK 3X
Advanced

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
Based on the fact that you said you were definately going to replace your valve springs, you will have to remove the heads, or the valves will fall into the cylinders. (Unless you pressurize your cylinders)

Also, depending on what cam you choose, you will need the appropriate lifters, pushrods, valve springs, timing chain, crank pin, and a professional tune.

I highly recommend you call a reputable/professional shop like the 2 I listed and discuss your goals and expectations with them. They build these cars everyday and know what combinations work best.
I would just not comment if you don't know what your talking about.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Whatsa347
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MS4 is a terrible choice for so many reasons, especially without long tubes. Do headers first then worry about a cam.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Whatsa347
MS4 is a terrible choice for so many reasons, especially without long tubes. Do headers first then worry about a cam.
Why is the ms4 a horrible choice??
Old 04-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

I honestly thought the MS4 is a good choice because of its popularity.

It makes good top end and if you get a 110 lsa it will also have some good mid range?

Also sounds really good at idle ! I know its not the most important thing, but its a bonus right?

I am by no means a pro at this... what do you guys suggest?

If i were to ever go turbo later on id have to cha ge cam anyways and probably lifters/rockers right?
Old 04-06-2017, 07:42 AM
HONK 3X
Advanced

I don't see any problem with the MS4. It only matters what you want. I did a big cam in my car and I love it. Tick performance torquemax sns stage 3. It's a 235/243 .630 .610 111+2 LSA. It is great so far. Only has been street tuned so far. should have it on the dyno soon.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Ok its pretty hard to decide, I guess everyone bases their comments on personal experience?

Ok with a cam like the ms4 a lot of people are saying its a valvetrain killer? is this true?

Are their springs and retainers that are suitable for the MS4 with durability and rigidness in mind? Should I opted for titanium retainers and locks?

My car is stock with low miles. Ids the timing chain and oil pump necessary?
Old 04-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Whatsa347
Instructor

Everyone here is forgetting he hasn't/doesn't want to do headers. (864) 723-2892, that's the number to Martin Smallwood, he designed all of Tick's cams and does custom specs as well, give him a call and tell him your needs, I'd go as far as to say he, along with Ed Curtis have some of the best results all over the Internet, along with track times. MS4 is a bad choice for the fact it lives in the upper RPM's and you don't have headers, the day I got rid of my MS4 for the F13 from Futral was a good one. How's your tuner? Good enough to tune out 18 degrees of overlap bucking and surging? Is it a street car? Is it a track car? If you call TSP themselves they'll tell you the same thing, and they'll undoubtably recommend another one of their cams, I'll bet my lunch money on that.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

I do want to do headers, just trying to put together the money and get it all at once. As i want to save on tuning. Need to minimize the times I go to the tuner. Also, living in Canada has problems on its own for getting parts from the USA.

I dont know how good he is, but I've been told hes good. He worked in various shops... His name is Jordi Salvador.

Heres a link to the dyno pull he did for my baseline #'s.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-results.html

Here is a link to the shop

http://www.chagautosport.com/en/team.html

Im really leaning toward American Racing headers as they are actually made in the USA and apperently, fit very well.

I see they offer a 2" version...isnt that overkill?

Last edited by Georgies; 04-06-2017 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FasNuff (04-22-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:43 PM
HONK 3X
Advanced

You cant go wrong with American Racing headers. The best header in my opinion. All bigger cams are going to be hard on valvetrain and you will probably need to change the springs every 20k miles some sooner. The 2" header isn't overkill, the 5.7 needs all the help it can get lol.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 14k miles, what cam package and NECESSARY supporting mods???

Old 04-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

thanks alot Honk for being upfront with me... I just want the best I can get for my car, as most of you, I'm deeply in love with my C5 Z06!

What springs did you get for your car?
Old 04-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Whatsa347
Instructor

There's no need for 2 inch headers, your heads don't even flow enough to put any strain on 1 3/4's primaries, buy a set of XSPower headers, find a cam, port your heads. 2" headers do NOTHING for a stock headed car, like I said, call TSP they'll tell you everything you want to know.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:31 PM
AmbulanceDriver
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TSP guys are a solid group of dudes. Really knowledgeable and dont mind sharing that with you if you ask
The following users liked this post:
Whatsa347 (04-06-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5 Z06 14k miles, what cam package and NECESSARY supporting mods???