Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Moving to Miami on the 17th!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 01:15 PM
HGlide82
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Miami on the 17th!

Hey guys I"m going to be a freshman at the University of Miami this year and will be moving down August 17th. Unfortunatly I won't be able to bring either the Vette or the Camaro this year :( , that this way I know I'll be able to concentrate more on studying. I'm just wondering how the car cruising scene is down there, or if there are any Vette Clubs in the area.

Thanks
Christian
Old 08-13-2001, 08:46 AM
HardTopSteve
Instructor

Default Re: Moving to Miami on the 17th! (HGlide82)

Christian,

First of all, good luck at school. As a UM grad (bachelors and masters), I loved the school. Long time UM football fan too. Went to school during our glory years. Even had Bernie Kosar as a class mate (doubt he knew who I was though).

First thing....right around the corner on Bird road is the Porsche/Ferrari Collection dealerships....always a fun place to cruise by (saw my one and only F50 there).

Cruising, the Grove and South Beach are crazy and fun. Brickel, and Key Biscayne are nice also. You will definately see lots of very nice cars!

At some point you will have to cruise down to Key West. It's a pretty drive. Watch the Coral Gables police, they ticket maniacs!

Steven

[Modified by HardTopSteve, 6:46 AM 8/13/2001]
Old 08-14-2001, 11:40 AM
Andymi
Racer

Default Re: Moving to Miami on the 17th! (HGlide82)

Welcome Christian,

I am also a UM alumnus from undergraduate and law school.

It is a great place to go to college, as you can't beat the scenary, especially by the pool, at the Grove, at South Beach, etc.

There are a few corvette clubs down here. I am a member of one that is about 15 minutes south of UM. If you want I will be galad to let you know about some local events. On September 15th there is a nice collector car show at the Homestead speedway.

Anyway get ready for some great football, as the Canes are the team.

Let me know if I can help you out, and good luck.

Andy
Old 08-14-2001, 02:13 PM
HGlide82
Drifting

Default Re: Moving to Miami on the 17th! (Andymi)

Thanks for the info guys, I'll probably email you (Andymi) once I get settled in down there .
Old 08-14-2001, 09:00 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Moving to Miami on the 17th! (Andymi)

I am a member of one that is about 15 minutes south of UM.
Andy,

Is the the club you speak of the Sunshine Corvette Club? If so, how do you like it? Are all generations (C1-C5) represented? Is it very active? Their website is very outdated and lacks any substance so I was wondering if the club still existed.

Christian, welcome to the neighborhood! You're going to love UM. Although I'm not an alumnus, I've lived near the UM campus my entire life and followed their sports teams forever, so I feel like one. :D

GO CANES!!!

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 8:40 PM 8/14/2001]
Old 08-14-2001, 10:56 PM
Andymi
Racer

Default Re: Moving to Miami on the 17th! (mdsmith)

Yes Mark, it is the Sunshine Corvette Club.

All generations are represented in the club.

I just joined a month ago, although I attended a few events before then.

They have a meeting on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at a restaurant off Old Culter and 168th Street.

They are going to have an event in two weeks, but I will be at Corvettes at Carlisle. I think the next event will be as part of the track day at Homestead which I was told was a greast event last year and the cars got to take some laps on the road course using turns 3 and 4.

Let me know if you would like to come as a guest.

Andy

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to Miami on the 17th!

Quick Reply: Moving to Miami on the 17th!