Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Mapco Gas & Ethanol.....Nashville

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 PM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

Default Mapco Gas & Ethanol.....Nashville

I couldn't figure why all of a sudden my gas milage on both of our daily drivers went way down. Then today while filling up at my local Mapco I saw a sign on the pumps "Contains Ethanol".

I keep very detailed mpg info on all my cars so the drop in mpg's jumped out at me. My 5 year old GMC pick up returned the worst mpg since I owned it. It returned 15.1 mpg on this last tank full, usually 17-19 on simular driving.

My 07 Buick seemed to be effected even more... 22.0 mpg on the last 2 tank fulls. Simular driving to this last tank full would have been in the 25-27mpg range.

You results may vary......Guess its back to Costco for gas...Here is an article about the adding of Ethanol...

WSMV-TV
updated 10:26 a.m. CT, Wed., Jan. 16, 2008
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A new blend of gasoline at some pumps in the midstate is throwing some for a loop.Video: New Blend Of Gas Scares Some From PumpsThe fuel, a combination of 10 percent ethanol and 90 percent gasoline, has made some drivers pull up and pull away from pumps when they see a sign that says: ?contains ethanol.? A local Mapco is one of the first gas stations in Tennessee to offer the ethanol blend of fuel, which is safe to run in all cars.The 10 percent blend makes for a cleaner burning fuel that helps to reduce greenhouse gases.Because it?s new to Tennessee, some drivers have pulled away from the pumps in search of the norm. The State Department of Agriculture, which samples and inspects motor fuel quality, said the blend is safe for every car on the road and drivers should notice no difference in their car?s performance.Some drivers said they knew they were doing something good for the environment.?If it?s better for the vehicle, you know, I think it would be good,? said one driver.Mapco is handing pamphlets to help its customers who may have questions on the ethanol-blended gasoline.The confusion may have started with the flex fuel cars which run on an 85 percent blend of ethanol, but the 10 percent blend can be used in every car.Pilot and Swifty are the only other gas stations offering the blended gas.For more information about ethanol blended fuels, visit one of the following links.Helpful Ethanol Links:

Ethanol Information
BioTenn
Ethanol Facts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Reply: Mapco Gas & Ethanol.....Nashville