Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

North Carolina - question about antique tags

Old 01-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Kevin Dawson
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North Carolina - question about antique tags

Does anyone know if there are any driving restrictions in NC if your vehicle has antique tags? I’ve searched the NCDOT/DMV site and numerous forums and can find no details other than the initial inspection requirement and lower taxes. I know in some states antique vehicles can only be driven on weekends and such; only being able to drive my 63 convertible on weekends is not desirable and I’d have to get regular tags. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. kd
Old 01-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Dream*66*
Instructor

There are no stated restrictions. They (the county) do ask with a questionaire each yr, as to the funtions you attend. Such as parades and club events. There is a place that is for mileage but as long as you are driving club events or long runs they cant say anything about it. The idea is to show off the classics. I show mine on the road. You also can run the yr correct tag and keep the antique tag under the seat. TC
Old 01-03-2010, 12:46 PM
SebringSixSpeed
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim touched on this, but I'll add that you can run a 1963 plate on your car as long as the regular state issued tag and current registration is somewhere inside the car. You do not need any special paperwork or permission to do this (as long as the vehicle is 35 years old, which yours is.)

Chuck.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Just to add to the YOM (Year of Manufacture) discussion. The statute does not state that it has to be a NC tag.

Dave
Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Kevin Dawson
4th Gear

Thanks guys I really appreciate you input. Now to get some tags...

kd
Old 01-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Dream*66*
Instructor

Common place to get a NEW one, Licenseplate.tv Site has everthing new. Get your own personalized, but sort of high $ for the fun! TC
Old 01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Kevin Dawson
4th Gear

$80 for a tag is pretty cheap compared to everything else I've for bought my 63 - LOL
Old 01-10-2010, 10:43 AM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
Just to add to the YOM (Year of Manufacture) discussion. The statute does not state that it has to be a NC tag.

Dave
Hey Dave, how are you. Are you saying that a Y.O.M. plate from another state (i.e. 1967 NY) can be displayed on the car as long as a current NC plate and reg are in the car?

Charlie
Old 01-11-2010, 02:17 PM
1Sweet66
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadVettes
Hey Dave, how are you. Are you saying that a Y.O.M. plate from another state (i.e. 1967 NY) can be displayed on the car as long as a current NC plate and reg are in the car?

Charlie
Yes, I think that's how it is here in NC. I see your in NY, it may be different there.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:09 PM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1Sweet66
Yes, I think that's how it is here in NC. I see your in NY, it may be different there.

I have the old plates on my cars now in NY. I was curious because in a few years I may be relocating, and NC was on our short list of possible places. Not that I would move there just because I could keep the old plates...but it is a nice bonus .

Charlie
Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadVettes
I have the old plates on my cars now in NY. I was curious because in a few years I may be relocating, and NC was on our short list of possible places. Not that I would move there just because I could keep the old plates...but it is a nice bonus .

Charlie
Charlie, Good to hear that you guys are still thinking about moving down here. However yes the statute does not say it has to be a NC plate only that it is the YOM and that the current plate be produced if anyone wishes to see it.

I need to come see you the next time I get to the City. I get up there a bunch but it always seems that I don't take the time to call you. I was out your way before Christmas but it was only for a day trip.

Dave
Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 PM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hitch
Charlie, Good to hear that you guys are still thinking about moving down here. However yes the statute does not say it has to be a NC plate only that it is the YOM and that the current plate be produced if anyone wishes to see it.

I need to come see you the next time I get to the City. I get up there a bunch but it always seems that I don't take the time to call you. I was out your way before Christmas but it was only for a day trip.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Maybe you'll get up this way when the weather gets better (probably not til spring) and the roads are clear of sand/salt. I'll bring you to one of our local cruise/gatherings .

Charlie
Old 01-13-2010, 01:10 AM
1truL48
Smokin' BBQ Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
NC Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I have OS tags on my Stingray (as I have property in another state with so much lower property taxes) but also run YOM NC dealer tags on that car. Adds to the interest & great conversation item.

Hope to see yours soon on the roads in NC!

Get notified of new replies

To North Carolina - question about antique tags

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: North Carolina - question about antique tags