Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

FL people

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
ricefed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MI Events Coordinator

I can tell you one place not to move. Ocala. I lived there 2.5 years. It's nice if you like country living and boredom. I really liked the tarpon springs and Sarasota area. I like the gulf beaches better. The water was always calmer, cleaner and I never had run ins with jelly fish or man o war.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:25 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Check out the Fundamental Schools in Pinellas County and Palm Harbor University High School.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:40 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn672
Having grown up in New York state, spending a year in Daytona Beach (and traveling everywhere from Tampa, Orlando, etc), and then moving to Charlotte... I would never raise my kids in the south, sorry! Seems like they're at a huge disadvantage

edit: to add further, I'm in my mid 20s, spent last year in Florida, and there was a clear difference between those educated purely in the south vs common knowledge taught in NY. I'd wait until he graduated honestly :/
Mid twenties you say?

laughable.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM
FLA-C3
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Having grown up in New York state, spending a year in Daytona Beach (and traveling everywhere from Tampa, Orlando, etc), and then moving to Charlotte... I would never raise my kids in the south, sorry! Seems like they're at a huge disadvantage

edit: to add further, I'm in my mid 20s, spent last year in Florida, and there was a clear difference between those educated purely in the south vs common knowledge taught in NY. I'd wait until he graduated honestly :/
Oh yeah, nothing down here but us poor uneducated Florida crackers. Thank god for all the brilliant New Yorkers like you that come down or we'd all just be lost. GMAFB.

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
Mid twenties you say?

laughable.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM
shawn672
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured you guys would turn it into a bashfest, wasn't meant to insult anyone but the educational facilities between the north and south are so far apart it's not even funny. Those educated in the north run circles around those in the south when you look at the large scale.

Being a bit younger allows me to compare modern teaching of school and universities and compare the north and south; meanwhile the older generations probably haven't experienced the differences in these systems in awhile (if ever)
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 PM
m kraz
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks guys you all have been helpful
but not you z06/zr1 ha ha ha
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Remember in Florida the farther South you drive the farther North you go.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by simplegto
Or further south than you really wanted to go.

Cuba, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua

Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 PM
dunbindun(tov)
Safety Car

I figured you guys would turn it into a bashfest, wasn't meant to insult anyone but the educational facilities between the north and south are so far apart it's not even funny. Those educated in the north run circles around those in the south when you look at the large scale.

Being a bit younger allows me to compare modern teaching of school and universities and compare the north and south; meanwhile the older generations probably haven't experienced the differences in these systems in awhile (if ever)
I too grew up in the North, but the experience of 50 years in the South including college has taught me not to make brash judgments based on anecdotal information. DBD
Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Caesar68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I was born and raised in Miami. This city is a Zoo. Horrible traffic and cost of living is high. You are better off considering the Northern part of the state.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
Mid twenties you say?

laughable.
I agree. I was educated through high school in the north. Went to College in FL and stayed here for the past 45 years. Give me FL any day. But I'll cut him some slack. He just needs to get a few more years under his belt and he'll come around.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Jetts4u2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Niceville, south of I-10 is fine. This is a great area, not as built up as the big cities, but everything you want and great beaches. We just did the entire perimeter of FL on a trip. We liked it below Tampa to Naples, nice area. But, that area is heavilly populated, and traffic sucks. I would stay on the gulf side. The east coast is 1 big city top to bottom. We drove over 2000 miles and didn't leave Florida. The keys are fun for a weekend, but no beaches, Fisherman paradise.
The money people are near the water, so nicer areas.
I would snow bird, it's great here in the winter, but TOOO hot in the summer.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:47 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by simplegto
. . . and Miami is the Southernmost suburb of New York City, and the Northernmost suburb of Havana.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM
bookemdano
Instructor

That's why I live in the Gables, I'm close to all the action, from Horse Racing to all the NBA, MLB, NFL, even Hockey...we have our own Police & Fire Dept...
And minutes to South Beach & all the fine Restaurants and I'm dead smack in the best section of Miami, for a young couple this is paradise...but you have to Pay in order to Play.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Nitnoid
Intermediate

I've lived here in Orlando for 43 years now, even pre-Disney. I can tell you that the PUBLIC education system down here pales in comparison to up north.

I can also say that if you like to actually DRIVE a corvette, Orlando/Tampa/Jacksonville are probably places to stay away from, unless you like bumper to bumper traffic. Anything on the west coast above Tampa or from Bradenton south are rather nice. All depends on your job though. Commuting to the bigger cities can be a pain as well.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Gsmooth33
Instructor

I grew up in NY and have been in S. Florida ( Ft. Lauderdale and now Miami) since 2004. My Family and I LOVE it! I would never go back to the cold and hibernation. I have only been exposed to daycare and now kindergarten and so far my experience has been good. Now diversity does not bother me but for some.....
Old 02-04-2017, 12:54 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Been a lot of threads here lately about this. All I can say is that if you family is of the brain dead Zombie Libitards persuasion, please stay where you are. Same goes for "Blue Hairs" that cannot drive too. We have enough of those here now. Your schools, food, "fill in the blank" is better where you are, so if you are one of those, please don't move here and then complain about this or that sucks.
Funny but so true, I'm originally from Winter Park (Orlando).
Number one complaint from friends that still live in Florida, too many Libitards moving in from up north. They vote big taxation in?? and then move to Florida so they can afford to live comfortably

Get notified of new replies

To FL people

Old 02-04-2017, 06:28 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by 360Lemans
Funny but so true, I'm originally from Winter Park (Orlando).
Number one complaint from friends that still live in Florida, too many Libitards moving in from up north. They vote big taxation in?? and then move to Florida so they can afford to live comfortably
It's that I-95 corridor. Buy into The Villages or move to the panhandle if that is an issue. Although you do have to meet an age requirement at The Villages and OP may not qualified. Easy to find out via Google. btw: A huge scale project patterned after The Villages has been approved for construction in Eastern most part of Walton County a short distance North of coastal Hwy 98 in NW FL. Most of that giant project will be in the Western part of Bay County near Panama City Beach. It will take decades to fully develop. Something to consider for retirees that wanna get in at the start. I can try to dig up further info if needed.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 03-05-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Villages2
Old 02-05-2017, 01:11 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I live in the Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch area and love it. When we moved here from Chicago 10 years ago, I couldn't understand why more people didn't know about this beautiful area on the west coast. Now they do...

Still beautiful, but the building is again ahead of the infrastructure so heavy traffic. Many of the two lane roads I used to cruise in the Vettes are now six-lane mini expressways with new traffic signals and roundabouts being built on a regular basis.

However, I would rather live through positive growth than the suburban decay we experienced in the Chicago area before we moved.

Last edited by MSG C5; 02-05-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:10 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
It's that I-95 corridor. Buy into The Villages or move to the panhandle if that is an issue. Although you have to meet an age requirement at The Villages and OP may not qualified. Easy to find out via Google. btw: A huge scale project patterned after The Villages has been approved for construction in Eastern most part of Walton County a short distance North of coastal Hwy 98. Most of that giant project will be in the Western part of Bay County near Panama City Beach. It will take decades to fully develop. Something to consider for retirees that wanna get in at the start. I can try to dig up further info if needed.

Isn't one of the requirements to live in the villages is you must like to have sex with old women. After all that's what "the villages" is famously known for.

Quick Reply: FL people