Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Driving a new purchase Tampa-Atlanta. Advice? Temp plates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:19 PM
150kWh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driving a new purchase Tampa-Atlanta. Advice? Temp plates?

I think I might have found "the one" in Tampa. Considering to drive it back through Atlanta but I know there are some infamous speed traps, both along 75 and also perhaps the more scenic 441, especially in Georgia. I am a resident of Alabama.

My goal here is to enjoy the trip, ticket free. Advice welcome!

(Important: note date of posting--I hope to be driving in about 6 days)

I have spare AL plates, but they are not currently registered. In Alabama, we literally are instructed to make our own temp tags saying "Tag applied for" when we buy a car. I doubt this will fly in Florida, and maybe not GA either.

Question #1: Will the seller need to keep his FL plates?

If so, I've read that Florida offers temporary tags, but I'll buy the car when the DMV is closed, and I will be out of the state on Sunday. What I could look up .. From http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqmotor.html#9
Non-residents also are eligible to secure a temporary license plate for "in-transit" purposes if they purchase a vehicle in Florida and want to drive it back home. However, proof of insurance (from Florida or home state) and sales tax in the amount required by the home state must be paid. If you feel you may be eligible for a temporary license plate, inquire through your local tax collector's office or the regional DMV office that serves your area.
I get the need for insurance, but how am I supposed to pay AL taxes on a car I haven't bought or registered yet?! Unless they mean pay FL the same amount of the AL tax, which.. er.. doesn't make ANY sense for a temp tag. ... on a Sunday.

Question #2: What kind of trouble would I face if I had my AL tags on my car? Would show the bill of sale & try to explain if pulled over. ... I could either use my spare (date sticker is still valid), or use my valid tags for the wrong car. ... I know small town cops will pull over out of state folks going even 1 mph over. Easy money.

Question #3: Does GA even have temp tags?? The GA Dept of Revenue website is labyrinth-like for non-standard issues. I can't find jack on the subject. http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov

... As it is, I'm inclined to just use the old Alabama plates while driving to Atlanta and follow the speed limit exactly. Will keep the bill of sale and my insurance handy in case I get pulled over.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 150kWh; 04-02-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: valid sticker
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

seller can either transfer tags to you or you can get Temp tags or you can drive with no tags and carry a bill of sale...probably less trouble with no tags than using a tag not assigned...of course transfering tags to you would be a waste of time and money since you are going to get new plates in AL...call Alabama DMV and see what they say...if it was me I would risk the no tag thing with bill of sale

option B: keep owners plates on car until you get home and mail them back to him

*disclaimer I am not an attorney nor did i stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 PM
150kWh
Instructor

Oh yeah. Option B is looking good. He'll still have the title, anyway.
Originally Posted by pewter99
*disclaimer I am not an attorney nor did i stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
When I becomma wrappa I'ma slappa my Pappa
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

you cant transfer the tag, but leaving his tag on the car for the transit to AL is the best idea. Just get a bill of sale and have valid insurance and you will be fine.

I am not an attorney, I am not at HI Express. I have however bought many cars here and there and driven them home.

good luck.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
ArtP
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with those above, very wise words, ask to use the sellers tag and mail it back. I have done that twice with no problems. Have a cousin that is a Corvette reseller/collector (50 + years) and that is what he does.

Also, agree with cooling it on the highway,better to just blend in. Safe trip.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 AM
ebf2k
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-14

Originally Posted by 150kWh

how am I supposed to pay AL taxes on a car I haven't bought or registered yet?! Unless they mean pay FL the same amount of the AL tax, which.. er.. doesn't make ANY sense for a temp tag. ... on a Sunday.
I bought my C6 from an out of state dealerhsip. (Boardwalk Chevy in CA). I paid them the FL sales tax. They also helped me register the car and I had my FL tags ready to go and put them on the car when it arrived.

If you are buying from a dealership they should be able to help you out with all of that.

Another thought if you are worried about tickets and tags and stuff is to just have them ship the car to you and then you can figure it out at your leisure.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:31 PM
150kWh
Instructor

My C5 (yes, it passed inspection by Joe at Powertech Performance!) is being sold by the original owner, and he's kind enough to let me use his plates & mail them back. So Option B is the winner.

Thanks for the assistance, folks. I guess pics from my road trip will appear elsewhere on the forum in due time.. ...and I'll have to change my avatar from "(no vette)" to something else half-way clever..
Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 AM
ArtP
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a very safe trip, glad you found your "dream car"! Great that the guy will let you use his plates, Corvette owners are some the kindess & most giving people.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 AM
GaDoll
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In 11 Veteran

FIND OUT ABOUT LOVE BUGS! My son bought a black Vette in Tampa and drove home to Tennessee.....got covered up in Love Bugs......took the paint off in spots.......they may only come out at certain times of the year but they ruined his car......had he known he could have kept them washed off on the drive. Best wishes,
Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM
150kWh
Instructor

Originally Posted by GaDoll
FIND OUT ABOUT LOVE BUGS! My son bought a black Vette in Tampa and drove home to Tennessee.....got covered up in Love Bugs......took the paint off in spots
To quote MC Hammer, "Too Legit!" Thanks for the heads up.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug
Because airborne lovebugs can exist in enormous numbers near highways, they die en masse on automobile windshields, hoods, and radiator grills when the vehicles travel at high speeds. If left for more than an hour or two, the remains become extremely difficult to remove. Their body chemistry has a nearly neutral 6.5 pH but may become acidic at 4.25 pH if left on the car for a day.[2] In the past, the acidity of the dead adult body, especially the female's egg masses, often resulted in pits and etches in automotive paint and chrome if not quickly removed.
Just searched twitter for "lovebug hate" and got no hits. Certainly kids will tweet about them. ... so I don't think they're out just yet.. *fingers crossed*

Regardless, a thick coat a wax (applied, not polished) or some kind of removable coating might be a good idea.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 PM
lawman34203
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I just drove a new to me Z06 from Charlotte NC to Tampa yesterday. The seller left his tag on the car for my drive, I got insurance on the car before I picked it up and had a copy of the bill of sale with me. There were very few police on the road, did 80-85 all the way home. great drive, the hour and half flight to get up to Charlotte felt longer than the 9 hour drive home.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Driving with the seller tags, not a good idea for the seller. If the buyer ends up killing someone on the drive home. The seller will be going to court. Its all on the seller, until the car is registered to the new buyer. Then the seller goes to Prison and has to deal with me.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 PM
150kWh
Instructor

Originally Posted by speedraider
Driving with the seller tags, not a good idea for the seller. If the buyer ends up killing someone on the drive home. The seller will be going to court. Its all on the seller, until the car is registered to the new buyer. Then the seller goes to Prison and has to deal with me.
PM sent for more info
Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 AM
yellowvette837
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03 thru'19
Tampa Events Princess
2015 C6 of Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

My C5 (yes, it passed inspection by Joe at Powertech Performance!) is being sold by the original owner
Joe is a great guy and runs a 1st class shop
Old 04-07-2013, 10:18 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Bought a car in FL last year. If a dealer, get a temp tag and if from an individual then pull the tag off and put a card board tag on it stating just purchased.

Driving a car with someone else's tag is illegal.

If coming through ATL avoid downtown....it's Final Four Weekend
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I am selling one of my cars here in Florida. Its going to a guy
that lives in Florida.
If I give him a bill of sale and take my plate I have covered my ***?

Thks,
Robin
Old 04-10-2013, 07:14 PM
GaDoll
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In 11 Veteran

To quote MC Hammer, "Too Legit!" Thanks for the heads up.

From Lovebug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJust searched twitter for "lovebug hate" and got no hits. Certainly kids will tweet about them. ... so I don't think they're out just yet.. *fingers crossed*

Regardless, a thick coat a wax (applied, not polished) or some kind of removable coating might be a good idea.

Any suggestions?
Pam spray on?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 PM
150kWh
Instructor

Originally Posted by zrracer
I am selling one of my cars here in Florida. Its going to a guy
that lives in Florida.
If I give him a bill of sale and take my plate I have covered my ***?

Thks,
Robin
Robin, I can't be an expert having only done this once (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express one night) so...

He gets the bill of sale for whichever state he will register the vehicle. You need the FL version http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82050.pdf but you fill it in as a voucher of sale. Also, on your title there is a upper portion, which you detach and keep. When you turn in your plates, you turn in the other paperwork and get a refund for a portion of FL tax you paid to get the plate.

FL experts, feel free to correct me

About love bugs & pam, I did read that some people put baby oil on their car. That seems extreme.. I'd almost prefer to try plasti-dip, or whatever spray they put on new cars going on open transport. ... Just glad I dodged love bug season!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Thanks for the form

Robin

Get notified of new replies

To Driving a new purchase Tampa-Atlanta. Advice? Temp plates?

Quick Reply: Driving a new purchase Tampa-Atlanta. Advice? Temp plates?