Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Tire installer in the Memphis area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Xyzzy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire installer in the Memphis area?

I have some Michelin Pilot Sport run-flat tires that I need installed on my wife's '12 GS.

I don't live in Memphis but that area is relatively close (1 hour) to where I live. I don't know who is good for installing tires. A lot of the places I call don't want to deal with run-flats, or they don't offer road force balancing or they just don't sound very interested in installing tires. (What's up with that?)

I'm not looking for the cheapest place to mount them. I need a place that knows how to life a Vette properly, balance wide low-aspect-ratio tires, laser align with the Pfadt specs, not destroy rims, etc.

Unfortunately, I have not yet had a very good experience with an actual Chevy dealer. Where I used to live, in Raleigh, the local dealer was known for dealing with Vettes and getting work done was easy.

The reviews on Tire Rack for "certified installers" for the Memphis area are not reassuring.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Xyzzy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up going to Gwatney Chevrolet in Jacksonville, AR.

http://www.gwatneyperformance.com/

They had:

A clean and large shop.
Certified mechanics who actually talked to me and asked me questions about what I wanted.
The lift pucks.
A road force balancer.
A "no-touch" tire changer.

They:

Changed my oil using my own oil and filter, with no objection.
Aligned my chassis with the "street" spec alignment, with no objection. (Their alignment machine is out of this world!)
Used a hand torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts.

I was in and out in about 4 hours. They had WiFi and a nice service area. They had a lot of Corvettes being worked on.

The service guy I worked with was James and the mechanic was Scott. Both were very helpful.

It was a 100 mile drive but they did flawless work and in the end it was cheaper than they quoted.

Quick Reply: Tire installer in the Memphis area?