Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Tail of the Dragon, any suggestions for an enjoyable trip.visit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:02 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Default Tail of the Dragon, any suggestions for an enjoyable trip.visit?

Looking to go on the Tail of the Dragon, which is a legendary road w/ over 300 curves in 11 miles. Any suggestions on where to start (headed north from Athens, GA)? Is Robbinsville the place to begin?

Thank you in advance for your tips
Old 12-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Blownhotrodder
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take moonshiner 28 all the way to the dragon. Lots of nice little shops and restaurants in Highlands as you go through. We usually go up to Clayton and cut across warwoman rd. then take 28. It will be an all day trip if your going back to Athens. Once up there you can take 129 back which is much faster and will return you back over blood mountain for some more awesome roads. Just depends on what you wanna do and what time of year your going. There is also the cherohala skyway but it can be treacherous in the winter and have lots of gravel which will beat the hell out of the finish. Check out www.moonshiner28.com for lots of great info. Ive been all through the mtns of north Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina on motorcycles and my cars. Great area to explore.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:11 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder
Take moonshiner 28 all the way to the dragon. Lots of nice little shops and restaurants in Highlands as you go through. We usually go up to Clayton and cut across warwoman rd. then take 28. It will be an all day trip if your going back to Athens. Once up there you can take 129 back which is much faster and will return you back over blood mountain for some more awesome roads. Just depends on what you wanna do and what time of year your going. There is also the cherohala skyway but it can be treacherous in the winter and have lots of gravel which will beat the hell out of the finish. Check out www.moonshiner28.com for lots of great info. Ive been all through the mtns of north Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, and North Carolina on motorcycles and my cars. Great area to explore.
Thanks - so take 28 to the start of the Dragon? Looks like it ends, right where the Dragon starts?

I'll be going this week, on my to Knoxville, so not going back to GA. Just a quick pass through what I understand are some of the best roads Thanks again
Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 PM
Blownhotrodder
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea 28 ends right at the beginning of the dragon. Or if you want a faster route up take 129 all the way but its not as curvy as 28.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:23 AM
PMD C6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually enjoy 28 more than I do the Dragon. Long sweeping curves with the occasional sharp twisty section. Also, the section of 129 from Robbinsville to Cheoah Dam(Fugitive Dam) is fun as well.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:08 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Chris,
I stayed at a rental in Robbinsville that had a garage and two separate apartments. Bikes get to use the garage when they are there, so I rented both the upstairs and downstairs so I was sure the garage was mine.
I went straight up 129 to the Bike shop at the start of the TOD. This is where the Tree of Shame is, also. Cool little gift shop and café there. I think most people consider this to be the start of the TOD. It is at the "Tee" with the road towards Fontana Dam. (28)
BTW, Fontana Dam had some nice places to stay.
Man, you are going to love the TOD. I would try for an early morning run on a weekday. Often too crowded on the weekend.
Have fun,
David

Last edited by arcticblast; 12-21-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:28 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PMD C6
I actually enjoy 28 more than I do the Dragon. Long sweeping curves with the occasional sharp twisty section. Also, the section of 129 from Robbinsville to Cheoah Dam(Fugitive Dam) is fun as well.
Funny thing, as I drove on 28, I thought, that could be the movie, The Fugitive
Old 12-21-2014, 11:30 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by arcticblast
Chris,
I stayed at a rental in Robbinsville that had a garage and two separate apartments. Bikes get to use the garage when they are there, so I rented both the upstairs and downstairs so I was sure the garage was mine.
I went straight up 129 to the Bike shop at the start of the TOD. This is where the Tree of Shame is, also. Cool little gift shop and café there. I think most people consider this to be the start of the TOD. It is at the "Tee" with the road towards Fontana Dam. (28)
BTW, Fontana Dam had some nice places to stay.
Man, you are going to love the TOD. I would try for an early morning run on a weekday. Often too crowded on the weekend.
Have fun,
David
David, saw the tree... went today, NOBODY was on the road but one car in my direction. Between the 318 curves on TOD and the 200+ curves before on 28 and 100 curves after, It was work!

Only 5 or 6 vehicles going the other way on TOD. It was really quiet today
Old 12-22-2014, 09:19 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

There is nothing to do in Robbinsville....you have to go to the next county over to buy beer....so stock up when you get there. As far as roads...if you like to drive, then stay on the Dragon. The other roads around are nice scenic cruising roads great for naps.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
David, saw the tree... went today, NOBODY was on the road but one car in my direction. Between the 318 curves on TOD and the 200+ curves before on 28 and 100 curves after, It was work!

Only 5 or 6 vehicles going the other way on TOD. It was really quiet today
Sounds like you had a great time. How did the Callaway do?
(You can thank me later for that lead in)
Old 12-23-2014, 01:12 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LFZ
There is nothing to do in Robbinsville....you have to go to the next county over to buy beer....so stock up when you get there. As far as roads...if you like to drive, then stay on the Dragon. The other roads around are nice scenic cruising roads great for naps.
10-4 on all, thanks! And good info!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:14 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by arcticblast
Sounds like you had a great time. How did the Callaway do?
(You can thank me later for that lead in)

David,

The Callaway did awesome, but please note, I was driving our 2010 SC606 Grand Sport Corvette, which at the time I stopped last night, had 199,900 miles, and going...

A flawless car, only needing tires, brakes, and oil changes, this car has been an awesome rolling calling card!!

Now, where to crank it up and hit 200k

Get notified of new replies

To Tail of the Dragon, any suggestions for an enjoyable trip.visit?

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon, any suggestions for an enjoyable trip.visit?