Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Sarasota Lakewood Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:56 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Of all the many Florida locations we visited over the years, wife and I found Lakewood Ranch to be right for us. So we had a house built there, and will be be relocating from NJ this summer. Not the least of our reasons was the attraction of a 12 month Corvette driving season. There are a surprising number of Corvette clubs to check out in the area, plus a full calendar of automotive events to satisfy that aspect of our lifestyle. Further, LWR is not as crowded or congested as some other parts of Fl. yet there is terrific dining, shopping, drinking (if you're so inclined) and entertainment available in the area. We will be about 1/2 hr away from Siesta Key or Longboat Key (offering world class beaches) or Sarasota (where the Ringling Bros. circus holes up in winter,) and only an hour away from Tampa, a major metropolitan area offering all the diversions of a big city. I don't mean to sound like a travelogue but we're very excited about our upcoming move and we anticipate being very pleased with our choice of LWR.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:25 PM
karista
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAGS747
We also are starting to get the idea of moving south from NY. have looked at River Wilderness and Twin Rivers developments in Parrish Fl. Anyone have thoughts on Parrish or those two developments? Thx...
Get a sticker shock,Twin river homes start in the lower $1millions, River Wilderness has huge HOA fees and you can't park on the street and no Trucks allowed in Drive Way.
The following users liked this post:
Hot Tamale (06-07-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 10:58 PM
ds33gt
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Everything has gone crazy down here! Been here in FL for 10 years now (Parrish for 7 years) and the growth has been crazy. Can't touch a nice place in a nicer community for under $500k. As stated, getting into LWR area and the higher end communities like Twin Rivers, etc, and you can get well into the million dollar club.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:49 AM
Ratboy
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

I lived in Sarasota for 10 years. All the positives noted so far are true, Siesta Beach is like walking on talcum powder and swimming in crystal clear bath water. St. Armands is gorgeous. But on the flip side...
Its bug season year round. You must have pest control year round, both inside and out. Then there are love bugs...those little bastards fly around like black snow 2-3 weeks a year and will etch your paint with their guts. Palmetto bugs - just a nice way of saying giant flying cockroach! Enough mosquitos to short out your bug zapper. Oh, yes and how could I forget!? Fire Ants!
There are about two good turns between Tampa and Naples. If you like back road sweepers and hills, you'll have to drive three hours north up by horse country. Everywhere else is basically a stop light to stop light grid.
Traffic in season (winter) is horrendous! I'm talking as bad as LA or NYC. Seriously.
At least 1 hour wait at any decent restaurant in season (winter), and no, they don't take reservations.
Half the population in season are snowbirds, and too many seem to have come from NY and brought their attitudes with them.
It rains almost every day for about an hour, usually right after you've washed your car. Sometimes it rains so hard you can't see where you are going, and people just stop...on the Interstate! Sometimes it rains sideways. But there are lots and lots of rainbows, and it dries up pretty fast.
Hurricanes like to congregate down there.
If your property borders the woods, you'll probably run across a pygmy rattler sooner or later.
Try to find a decent service person. For anything! Lawn, pest, A/C (you'll want him on speed dial), roofer (hah!) Call 5, 3 might return your call, 1 will actually show up for an estimate. And they all knock off at 12 on Fridays.
Okay, well, I think that's about it. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you! I do wish someone told me about the bugs before I moved there. "They all said "Don't tell anyone about this place...its paradise!"
ICNLT again...

The following users liked this post:
sonnystingray (07-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Sarasota Lakewood Ranch