Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Sarasota Lakewood Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 06:33 AM
LAYNLOW
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Sarasota Lakewood Ranch

We're just about ready to get out of the Midwest and been looking at homes in the Lakewood Ranch area. We currently live 50 NW of Chicago which obviously has a lot of things to do . . . restaurants, sports and everything else a major city has to offer. There are a ton of car shows and cruise nights plus three drag strips.

Downside is, the winters suck!

Any input on the Sarasota - Bradenton area would be appreciated.

Car related things, restaurants, bars, etc.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:18 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm originally from NY.
Lived in Sarasota now for 12 years.
It is a great place but they're building like there's no tomorrow.
Restaurant scene could be better.
Car stuff is getting better.

Anything specific PM me

USAF
Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Matt @ FSP
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Moved down here from NY/NJ 2 years ago would never look back.. We are ~12 miles from the track, close to Lakewood Ranch really.. The L/R area is still expanding a lot, as-is the entire East Bradenton/LR area. It's 70* out today, and we are racing this weekend in the middle of January, nothing better than that!!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:10 AM
LAYNLOW
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your replies. They're appreciated!
Old 01-18-2015, 01:59 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I also live in the area and love it. I am also originally from Chicago and have been here 10 years. The area is growing but it's managed pretty well. We also have a great local Corvette Club (Skyway Corvettes) that enjoys road trips, cruises, etc. If you're in the area the first Saturday in May, we host the Corvettes on the Circle show at St. Armand's Circle in Sarasota. It's a lot of fun!

Last edited by MSG C5; 01-18-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We've made a couple of trips so far looking at real estate in the area from Clearwater Beach down to Sarasota. We've decided that beach living involves too many trade offs as far as housing. We've looked at about 10 houses in Lakewood Ranch and it's a very nice community with a lot to offer. I'm just opposed the whole CDD deal when there are lots of houses available without it. Sarasota is much more cosmopolitan city than we expected with lots to offer. We're going back in February to look again. We're in no rush but the winters are getting to us here in NoVa. Retiring in about 3 years but will buy a place soon if it's the right one.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:43 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Lakewood Ranch is a great area to live in, I have been here a few years and love it.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:18 PM
LAYNLOW
Burning Brakes

When you go out for a scenic weekend day drive where do you go?

We stay in Sand Key or Indian Rocks Beach when we visit and see a lot of
Vette's and Motorcycles cruise from Clearwater Beach to Pass a Grille Beach on Gulf Blvd, but that would get old after a while.

How about scheduled cruise nights?

I know that BMP is close, and that's a good thing!

We're really looking forward to our life down south, just want to make sure we stay busy doing what we like.

Thanks!

Last edited by LAYNLOW; 02-14-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:11 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Plenty of nice open roads if you head East away from the water, just jump in the car and drive.

As for cruise nights, below are links to some websites that might interest you.

http://www.flacarshows.com/sh-west.htm

http://collectorcarstv.com/Page_2.html

John
Old 02-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Maybe in the future there is a proposed race track resort in progress in Arcadia East of Lakewood Ranch about 50 miles that will have track days and the Sebring races is about two hours away with a great Corvette Corral. Nice day trip is Muscle Car City in Punta Gorda South of the area.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:09 AM
LAYNLOW
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default Sarasota

I live in Tampa and have a condo in Sand Key. You are right about Gulf Blvd. I have seen everything there from vintage Vettes to Ford GTs. Pinellas county has the Quaker State diner and has frequent shows. The Dupont Registry has a cars and coffee show on every third or fourth Saturday. There are a few large Corvette clubs in the area as well. In Hillsborough, we have cars and coffee at the Reeves car dealership. We also have a few large shows at the fair grounds and Carlise and the NCRS has moved to Lakeland for its shows. The Wiregrass mall has a show once per month. One thing I have noticed, that I always notice a vintage car in a garage while driving around on the weekends. PM me if you want any more info. Jerry
Old 02-15-2015, 05:24 PM
LAYNLOW
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jerry!

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
I live in Tampa and have a condo in Sand Key. You are right about Gulf Blvd. I have seen everything there from vintage Vettes to Ford GTs. Pinellas county has the Quaker State diner and has frequent shows. The Dupont Registry has a cars and coffee show on every third or fourth Saturday. There are a few large Corvette clubs in the area as well. In Hillsborough, we have cars and coffee at the Reeves car dealership. We also have a few large shows at the fair grounds and Carlise and the NCRS has moved to Lakeland for its shows. The Wiregrass mall has a show once per month. One thing I have noticed, that I always notice a vintage car in a garage while driving around on the weekends. PM me if you want any more info. Jerry
Old 02-15-2015, 06:24 PM
RAGS747
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We also are starting to get the idea of moving south from NY. have looked at River Wilderness and Twin Rivers developments in Parrish Fl. Anyone have thoughts on Parrish or those two developments? Thx...
Old 02-15-2015, 09:54 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 766 Likes on 703 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by RAGS747
We also are starting to get the idea of moving south from NY. have looked at River Wilderness and Twin Rivers developments in Parrish Fl. Anyone have thoughts on Parrish or those two developments? Thx...
We have lived in River Wilderness for over eight years and love it. Parrish, like a lot of other parts of Florida, is growing rapidly. Twin Rivers is very nice with many homes on larger lots but no golf course (if that is important to you). While River Wilderness is more established and gated.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:21 PM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've spent winters here for ten years and love it.
Lots of Corvettes (Skyway Corvette Club is very active), very good restaurant and wine scene, active cultural life, and great beaches.

I like it so much that I'm building a new house here.
Want to buy my 2500 sq ft house? PM me.
Former builder's model with all upgrades, professionally decorated, available fully furnished.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:21 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by easyrider13
I've spent winters here for ten years and love it. Lots of Corvettes (Skyway Corvette Club is very active), very good restaurant and wine scene, active cultural life, and great beaches. I like it so much that I'm building a new house here. Want to buy my 2500 sq ft house? PM me. Former builder's model with all upgrades, professionally decorated, available fully furnished.
Great beaches is correct. Siesta Key beach was just voted #1 in the country. This is a great place to live!

Get notified of new replies

To Sarasota Lakewood Ranch

Old 02-27-2015, 06:57 PM
RAGS747
Racer

Originally Posted by Sabre34
We have lived in River Wilderness for over eight years and love it. Parrish, like a lot of other parts of Florida, is growing rapidly. Twin Rivers is very nice with many homes on larger lots but no golf course (if that is important to you). While River Wilderness is more established and gated.
Thx, yes it is growing rapidly and prices are rising as well. Was at both developments last summer. Thought we liked the east coast, but just kinda got a really good feeling about the Twin Rivers and River Wilderness area. We are on 2 acres now so the layout of was kinda nice. Yes you may have to drive to everything but we do that now.

Is golf membership mandatory at River Wilderness? Tell me about insurance, everyone seems to complain as to how high it is. Thx again...
Old 03-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 766 Likes on 703 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by RAGS747
Thx, yes it is growing rapidly and prices are rising as well. Was at both developments last summer. Thought we liked the east coast, but just kinda got a really good feeling about the Twin Rivers and River Wilderness area. We are on 2 acres now so the layout of was kinda nice. Yes you may have to drive to everything but we do that now.

Is golf membership mandatory at River Wilderness? Tell me about insurance, everyone seems to complain as to how high it is. Thx again...
Club membership is not mandatory. As far as insurance goes I'll tell you that we pay $2700 per year for 3200 sq ft. We are not in a flood zone so flood insurance is not required. I don't know if Twin Rivers is in a flood zone. We have friends that live there, I'll ask them.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:30 PM
RAGS747
Racer

Originally Posted by Sabre34
Club membership is not mandatory. As far as insurance goes I'll tell you that we pay $2700 per year for 3200 sq ft. We are not in a flood zone so flood insurance is not required. I don't know if Twin Rivers is in a flood zone. We have friends that live there, I'll ask them.
Ty Sabre, ins not bad at all, way cheaper than we pay now. Cant imagine that Twin Rivers would be flood zone but who knows. 3200 sq ft is just about the size we are looking for. I'm seeing some very nice houses come on the mkt in both developments, unfortunately we are still about two yrs out with my daughter only a soph in college. So wish I was ready to pull the trigger now. We'll do another run thru this summer to get the lay of the land. Thx again...

Quick Reply: Sarasota Lakewood Ranch