Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Traveling from TX to PA.. and back.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:30 PM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Traveling from TX to PA.. and back.

on May 1, I'm taking my almost yearly trip to PA to visit family. Mostly I'll be heading from Austin to Texarkana - little rock - memphis, nashville, etc.. and then north on Interstate 81 near bristol TN. Plan on just stopping in a hotel as I get tired as this year my wife is not able to come along.

Just thought I would see if anyone know of any concerns along Interstate 30 or 40 or even 81 in Arkansas or Tenn that I may need to plan for?

yes. I'll be in the Vette...

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2015, 01:56 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

What part of PA you visiting? I'm originally from Reading and still have family there. Last year I made the trip from my current MS home to Reading and Carlisle....what a beautiful and fun drive.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:13 PM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

I grew up in Boyertown and have cousins still in the Reading area.

I'll be heading to West Chester for most of the week, with an occasional run up to Boyertown and then possibly Oley area if time permits.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:24 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Well have fun, enjoy the scenery between here and there, and be safe!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:33 PM
chevyman_ky
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

heard on a Bristol radio station about a sink hole I think they said on I-81 north of Bristol, only caught part of what they said but they said they were working on it down to one lane don't know which direction
Old 04-17-2015, 09:11 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LarryMow
Well have fun, enjoy the scenery between here and there, and be safe!
Thanks! Should be a fun trip. Been doing it on Motorcycles, Cars now off and on since '91. Seems that we do see something different each time, though. So it's always good.

This is the first long trip in my C6. Drove up and back in my C5 twice. If the C6 is anything like the C5 was on the longer road trips, it will be very easy, traveling wise.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:13 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chevyman_ky
heard on a Bristol radio station about a sink hole I think they said on I-81 north of Bristol, only caught part of what they said but they said they were working on it down to one lane don't know which direction
Cool - Thanks for the info. Few years ago (end of August, 2013) I drove up and it was during NASCAR race at Bristol. That was some time of brilliant planning on my part! Nothing like a parking lot on I-81 N surrounded by Trucks with Trailers.

I'll start gathering traffic details and see if I need to alter my course some.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2015, 02:26 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Originally Posted by bhoch
Thanks! Should be a fun trip. Been doing it on Motorcycles, Cars now off and on since '91. Seems that we do see something different each time, though. So it's always good.

This is the first long trip in my C6. Drove up and back in my C5 twice. If the C6 is anything like the C5 was on the longer road trips, it will be very easy, traveling wise.
What year C6? My trip last year was with my dad in his 2010 GS and it was a GREAT ride....very comfortable, the seats were very easy on the back and backside...lol. Plus with the smoke top in it, the view was awesome.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:44 PM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LarryMow
What year C6? My trip last year was with my dad in his 2010 GS and it was a GREAT ride....very comfortable, the seats were very easy on the back and backside...lol. Plus with the smoke top in it, the view was awesome.
It's an '07. I find it very comfy so far. Should be a fun trip.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:08 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by bhoch
on May 1, I'm taking my almost yearly trip to PA to visit family. Mostly I'll be heading from Austin to Texarkana - little rock - memphis, nashville, etc.. and then north on Interstate 81 near bristol TN. Plan on just stopping in a hotel as I get tired as this year my wife is not able to come along.

Just thought I would see if anyone know of any concerns along Interstate 30 or 40 or even 81 in Arkansas or Tenn that I may need to plan for?

yes. I'll be in the Vette...

Thanks!
You might consider taking I-35 to Dallas and then I-20 to Clinton, Mississippi(just west of Jackson) and take the Natchez Trace Parkway to Nashville, then I-40 to I-81 etc.

Good place to stay is the Days Inn in Kosciusko, MS(on the Natchez Trace parkway). Another good place to stay is the Best Western Plus located east of Knoxville on I-81 at exit #8.

Also a lot of motels in Staunton, VA on I-81(at exit #222 there is a Sleep Inn that I've stayed at and liked it) and then you can drive the Skyline Parkway through the Shenandoah National Park. Or drive the Skyline and stay in Winchester, VA. Sleep Inn at exit #313, is a good place to stay in Winchester,VA

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-27-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Traveling from TX to PA.. and back.

Quick Reply: Traveling from TX to PA.. and back.