Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Turn the beast loose - at Daytona!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:13 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default Turn the beast loose - at Daytona!!!

Want to let the beast really run? The Rolex24 roadcourse at Daytona Int'l Speedway is the place to turn your Vette loose!!!

Although there are a number of racing events at Daytona throughout the year, there are only several that can be run without any kind of competitive racing license being required.

This fall there are three HPDE track day events coming up that I'm aware of, and because it's my home track I'll be there for all of them!!

These events all run the Daytona Int'l Speedway on the Rolex24 roadcourse. Below is a video of my C6 Z06 running the Dec HPDE a number of years ago, but I've been running my ZR1 recently. You can see you will be running essentially the entire tri-oval (the whole 31 degree banked sections) plus the infield section with 6 turns, as well as the "Bus Stop" which is the chicane on the back straight that slows down the sports cars before blasting into NASCAR Turn 3 too fast!
The first is a great event put on by Performance Driving Group. It's a 3-day HPDE on October 2-4, and you can run 1, 2, or all 3 days. Take a look at the PDG site for info. You'll be scheduled to run five 30 minute sessions per day (2-1/2 hours of track time each day!!) for the most seat time of all the events:

http://performancedrivinggroup.com

The other two events are:
NASA event that includes a bunch of Time Trial and racing sessions between the HPDE sessions. That usually cuts down the number of sessions you'll be running for the HPDE, but it is cheaper to register than for the other events. It's the Great Pumpkin Run on Oct 31-Nov 1. I believe you have to register for both days. I don't know how many sessions the HPDE drivers will get, but it may be limited with all the racing sessions going on.

An event put on by an Audi club from Ohio that has been running the event every Dec for about 8 years. It's a very good event and you'll get about four 30 minute sessions per day. It's a 3 day HPDE and will be Dec 2-4, and you can sign up for 1, 2, or all 3 days.
Info about the last two events can be found on: http://www.motorsportreg.com/calenda...adius=180&zip=

The PDG and Audi events are really great HPDE type track day events, with both being good for all experience levels.

The PDG HPDE gets you the most track time and easy-going track protocol for a real relaxed track experience.

The Audi event is very "novice friendly" with a little tighter control on passing, etc. This makes it very good for drivers with less track experience. Also, the weather may actually stay down in the 70's in Dec!!

Hope to c'ya at the track!!

Old 07-16-2015, 10:55 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Thanks for the post, my pops and I have been wanting to do this. Hope to see you there.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

There's a thread in the AutoX/Roadrace section about this event:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-days.html

Just to make sure anybody who's interested understands
All you need is a street car to attend an HPDE track event like this. A stock street car will meet the requirements to run most all HPDE type events

You should consider flushing in some good high-temp DOT 4 brake fluid

Street tires are fine

You will need a helmet - an SA2005 or SA2010 Snell certified helmet. According to the PDG site: "You will need a helmet, open or closed face, and it must be an SA Snell certified auto racing helmet. If you don’t have one, there will be loaner helmets available as well as new helmets for sale at the event."

No convertibles are allowed unless they have a rollbar/cage for rollover protection

Novice drivers will have an instructor in the car with them to make sure they know track protocol, flag stations and flags, passing rules, the "line", etc.
Hope to c'ya at the track!!

BTW - there is an event at Daytona in April for the last few years that does allow stock convertibles. So, if you want to run your vert watch for info about the Flat Out Motorsports event in April - here's a link to their site:

http://flatoutmotorsports.us/#all

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-27-2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added BTW
Old 08-05-2015, 07:03 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2 months to go!! Anybody else in???

Go over to the thread in the AutoX/Roadrace section to see that there might be a night session on Friday night!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-days.html

Keep an eye on that thread to see what develops.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

is the only time Oct 2 - 4? I put in requests to be off for FL2K the following weekend and a work conference the week after. It is highly unlikely I'll be off then for that stretch.

Then the question becomes do I bring the monster of a C6 (blown and meth) or just the stock C7 Z51. I'm thinking probably C7 first to get a feel for the track before going ballistic. If a C6 Z06 hit 175 on that backend I'm scared to think what my C6 would hit...
Old 08-08-2015, 10:59 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
is the only time Oct 2 - 4? I put in requests to be off for FL2K the following weekend and a work conference the week after. It is highly unlikely I'll be off then for that stretch.

Then the question becomes do I bring the monster of a C6 (blown and meth) or just the stock C7 Z51. I'm thinking probably C7 first to get a feel for the track before going ballistic. If a C6 Z06 hit 175 on that backend I'm scared to think what my C6 would hit...
You can do just one or two days if that's all you have time for. Instead of all three days, you could register for just Friday/Saturday or just Saturday/Sunday. Or, you could register for just one day and just do Friday, Saturday, or Sunday - whatever would fit into your schedule.

First of all - I'd recommend the C7 Z51 if this will be your first time at Daytona.

Second of all - there are two other HPDE type events that I know of this fall after the PDG event the beginning of Oct: a NASA event Oct31-Nov1; an event Dec 4-6 co-organized by an Audi club from Ohio and Hooked-On-Driving.

The NASA event is sandwiched between racing sessions, and you'll get less track time. It's a 2-day event.

The Audi/HOD event in Dec is a great event - especially if you have never run the Daytona Rolex24 roadcourse before.

Here is a link to the HOD site where you can register for the Dec 4-6 event (and you can 1, 2, or all 3 days):

https://www.hookedondriving.com/even...iday,_Sat,_Sun

Last edited by BEZ06; 08-08-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:57 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

I intend to sign up and bring my pro formula mazda provided 3 conditions pass

1) I have a successful outing at Road America this month
2) I have a successful outing at VIR next month
3) PDG still has openings one month from now

I won't hit the 175mph+ that my Z06 can do (open wheel with wings is drag limited), but will make up all the lap time in the brake zones and corners.

Undecided if I'll do more than one day, I seem to recall being bored on day 2 last time. Daytona is something to experience, but not terribly challenging.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:38 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mikey
Undecided if I'll do more than one day, I seem to recall being bored on day 2 last time. Daytona is something to experience, but not terribly challenging.
Bored!!!!! Yikes!!!!

It's not challenging in the way Sebring can be, or like VIR, or especially the new NCM track with a LOT of technical turns. But I've NEVER been bored at Daytona, and I've been to at least 16 events there (hey, it's my home track!!), and many of them were 3 days, so a total of 41 track days running the Rolex24 roadcourse.

If you get "bored", try something different - try some offline driving simulating passing/blocking/wet track lines, etc. Try some different turn-in points, try driving higher/lower on the banking, try coming off the banking from high next to the wall, or low near the apron.

Wow!!! I've never been bored any time I'm driving up toward my limits and limits of my car at any track - it always requires enough attention to keep me focused and interested!!!

Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Hey Bob - I just talked to Henry, and there are still open spots for this

See you there, if not sooner.

Daytona HDPE Event
Old 08-29-2015, 10:03 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Road America done. Eventful weekend with ups and downs. Radiator leak (fixed at track), shift cable broke (fixed at track), rear brake rotor failure (fixed at home). Did about 250 miles on track. Could have had more like 400 for the weekend if not for the mechanical issues!

Headed to VIR next. Then will sign up for Daytona.

Daytona does not put a Pro Mazda near its limits. Not enough horsepower to overcome the drag of the wings and with the steep banking, it's quite ho-hum waiting for the next corner. Would need an old Indy car or DP/LMP car to really enjoy it! Or non-aero cars, like vettes would prove more exciting I'm sure.

Looking to turn under 2 minute laps though. Hope to see you guys there.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Joey99SS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All signed up, looking forward to meeting some of you guys and hopefully having a great time - will be my first HPDE!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:33 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Just got notified by Performance Driving Group that:
There are going to be at least TWO maybe FOUR 30 minute night sessions on Friday night. You will need to have working lights as the track will only be partially lit.
So....If you planned to run Friday, or will be checking in Friday afternoon to run Saturday, maybe you'd like to stick around for a night session or two!!

If you still need to sign up, go to the PDG site to register:

http://PerformanceDrivingGroup.com/events

ONE MONTH TO GO!!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 09-02-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Joey99SS
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Just got notified by Performance Driving Group that:
There are going to be at least TWO maybe FOUR 30 minute night sessions on Friday night. You will need to have working lights as the track will only be partially lit.
So....If you planned to run Friday, or will be checking in Friday afternoon to run Saturday, maybe you'd like to stick around for a night session or two!!
Are the night sessions extra from the Friday runs and are they open to all 3 classes?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:06 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joey99SS
Are the night sessions extra from the Friday runs and are they open to all 3 classes?
cost extra - price TBD
Old 09-24-2015, 07:39 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Well my VIR trip was a success, and after work threatened to preclude my ability to make Friday at Daytona, I've deconflicted my schedule and signed up for Fri/Sat next weekend.

Appears to be low turnout for this event, but that means more track time for those that signed up. intermediate/advanced are combined in the afternoon, allowing all groups to get 6 ea 30 minute sessions each day. bring your gas money.

Sunday was cancelled. F2000 race disappeared off the schedule, so I guess those guys are gone. SCCA runoffs there this weekend.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Joey99SS
Instructor

Silly question, but do we get any info before the event from them? After paying a month ago or whatever it was I haven't heard a peep.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn the beast loose - at Daytona!!!

Quick Reply: Turn the beast loose - at Daytona!!!