Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Virginians! Need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 PM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Virginians! Need help/advice

Hey, I'm looking at buying a Corvette from North Carolina. I've never bought a car from an out of state dealer. Will I be paying taxes in NC and in VA or just in VA. Just how much of a PITA is it to do?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:06 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Bought my Z06 in Charlotte from a private owner. From what I can recall, I just wrote him a check while at his bank. They verified the check was good , got the title and came home. I don't think you will have to pay anything additional except for a dealers fee.
How have you and the family been doing? I'm guessing that the baby is no longer a baby.

Gene
Old 08-27-2015, 11:14 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

It's no different than buying one in-state. If the dealership does the title work, the dealership in NC will collect your VA sales tax and send it to the VA DMV.

If they make you do the title work, they will either make you pay them the VA sales tax and then they will cut a check to the VA DMV or they will just make you pay the price of the car and then you will be responsible for paying for VA sales tax.

To answer your question, you will pay VA Sales tax.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:30 AM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. As crazy as it sounds, I'd rather do the title work myself and just pay the taxes here. I just need to figure out the paper work.

Gene, the babies haven't been babies for a while now! Olivia is seven and Christopher is three! It was there were babies, then I blinked and now their both tearing my house up! Thanks for asking about them!
Old 08-29-2015, 08:58 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Been longer than I thought. They grow-up quicker than we think. My best to all.

Gene
Old 08-29-2015, 10:30 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

I bought a car in MD and they handled all the title and taxes for VA. All I had to do was get the car inspected in Virginia. Dealers near bordering states will, I think, generally handle this for you. If they're a long way from Virginia, they may not have the expertise.

Probably, even if they normally do it, they'll let you handle it as long as you let them know up front. You'll probably need temp plates from NC to get it back to VA.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:41 PM
y2kcoupe
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We bought our 2013 from a dealer in North Carolina and they handled all the paperwork through a title agency they use. The only recommendation I have is to insist that they give you a temporary North Carolina tag to use until the paperwork clears DMV in Virginia. I am sure, if we had preferred to do our own title work in Virginia, they would have been thrilled. They absorbed the cost of doing it and I don't like to go to DMV unless I absolutely have to.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 AM
drclaw
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in VA, and I bought a C6 from a private seller (from these forums) in Charlotte.

Virginia lets you print out a "Trip Permit." Before you purchase, fill out the requisite information and print out the permit, and tape it inside the rear window. This is your license plate for the trip home:
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#temp_permit.asp

When you purchase the vehicle, have the seller sign the title over to you. Give him the money, then drive home. Prepare a written Bill Of Sale (doesn't have to be fancy, just make sure it has the VIN, the date, and the price paid. Technically, you need this if you get stopped by the police, and you need it at the DMV.

Go the the DMV web site and fill out the application for a new original title. IMPORTANT: if you are registering it in multiple names (for instance, you and your wife) make sure the other registrant signs it as well. Then, you can complete the transaction on site without her.

Go to the DMV with your title, title application, your bill of sale, and your checkbook. The DMV will collect the registration fees and the VA State sales tax. This is 4% of the purchase price on the bill of sale.

If you don't specify which plate you want, they'll issue you plates, give you a registration, print out an original title, and send you on your way.

It's really easy to handle by yourself and not worth a dealer's $500 processing fee!

Get notified of new replies

To Virginians! Need help/advice

Quick Reply: Virginians! Need help/advice