Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Virginia International Raceway - Fall 2015 - Holiday Laps - 11/6

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 01:54 PM
jesse82nc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Next Charity Laps Event is Friday, April 1st. Confirmed with VIR Staff.

The only downside to having our own lanes will be that some of the people may have to wait slightly longer to go out on the track if we don't have 40 people lined up already.

For example, if we have 25 people lined up at 8am, but the 40th person doesn't line up until 9am, everyone else would have had to wait an hour while other groups of random cars are going out on the track.

So it would be in everyone's best interest to recruit other Vettes they see there to join our group so we can get out on the track sooner.

As soon as I have more details, I will make a new thread on here for the Spring session.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2015, 02:30 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by jesse82nc
Next Charity Laps Event is Friday, April 1st. Confirmed with VIR Staff.

The only downside to having our own lanes will be that some of the people may have to wait slightly longer to go out on the track if we don't have 40 people lined up already.

For example, if we have 25 people lined up at 8am, but the 40th person doesn't line up until 9am, everyone else would have had to wait an hour while other groups of random cars are going out on the track.

So it would be in everyone's best interest to recruit other Vettes they see there to join our group so we can get out on the track sooner.

As soon as I have more details, I will make a new thread on here for the Spring session.

Thanks
Based on the number of Corvettes at Holiday Laps, that line should fill up very quickly. The first one might be problematic---punctuality isn't everyone's strong suit---but after that it should be easy to fill the line.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:15 PM
PMD C6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse82nc
I did start a conversation with my contact at VIR about having a Corvettes Only row in the staging areas. They are open to the idea and she will discuss it with the other organizers of the events and let me know what they decide.

We would probably have to do a little work on our own to keep things in line and organized within our group so that it does not add to their workload for the day.

Update - I did hear back from Tommy, their security directory who does most of the organizing for the day, and he is on board with the Corvettes having our own line in the staging area. Still hashing out the details, but it should make for much more enjoyable laps out there.
Maybe... I have seen some vettes that go for Sunday drives out there....

He got so far behind that he didn't know what to do after the first lap because he lost sight of the cars in front of him. Ended up pulling onto pit row...

Last edited by PMD C6; 11-17-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:03 AM
jesse82nc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PMD C6
Maybe... I have seen some vettes that go for Sunday drives out there....

He got so far behind that he didn't know what to do after the first lap because he lost sight of the cars in front of him. Ended up pulling onto pit row...
Haha, yea, the plan was to try and keep those that have track experience and more modified cars towards the front of the pack, and those with no experience and stock older cars towards the back.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:08 AM
y2kcoupe
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Please keep me in the loop about this. I am the Events Chair for the Virginia Corvette Club in Lynchburg, Virginia. We had a few members go to the Holiday Laps and there seems to be significant interest in doing this among the members. Will you need a count of participants ahead of time?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:40 AM
jesse82nc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by y2kcoupe
Please keep me in the loop about this. I am the Events Chair for the Virginia Corvette Club in Lynchburg, Virginia. We had a few members go to the Holiday Laps and there seems to be significant interest in doing this among the members. Will you need a count of participants ahead of time?
Definitely, I will probably make a post about it in a couple weeks once some more details get hashed out.

It would be great if we had some committed numbers, but I don't have to give them any maximum numbers. So if we tell them we will have 60 guys there, and 80 show up, it's no big deal. But it would be nice to know we will have at least a certain number of guys there. If we get at least 30-40 guys there before 8am, we can go out in the first session. I already know that from previous conversations I have had with them.

I will probably make a Facebook Event for it as well to help track the number of people coming. Obviously that will only work for those that use Facebook though.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:48 PM
y2kcoupe
Instructor

Sounds like a plan!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:41 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

My college reunion was that weekend. I missed it. Hope to take the new 2016 Z06/z07 next time!
Old 11-22-2015, 11:01 PM
McCall38
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to join in if i'm home the next time.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 AM
jesse82nc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I am curious how many think they could get there first thing (by 7:30 am), and out of those who would do the drive first thing in the morning vs who would stay overnight in Danville (20-30 min away) the night before?

I'd like to get a caravan going from at least the Raleigh/Durham area, as I have done this a few times in the past and it was fun.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:36 AM
gonzala
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Sounds Awesome!!

I am planning to own a new 16 CZ06 soon and would love to try VIR in it. I will continue to check in on this outing. Would love to join a ride from Raleigh since I'm from Cary, NC!!

Cheers,

Al
Old 11-23-2015, 01:00 PM
jesse82nc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gonzala
I am planning to own a new 16 CZ06 soon and would love to try VIR in it. I will continue to check in on this outing. Would love to join a ride from Raleigh since I'm from Cary, NC!!

Cheers,

Al
Awesome. Cars and Coffee Raleigh should be starting back up in just over a month, hope to see it out there sometime! C&C Wake Forest is this Saturday as well.

In the past, I have used the BP Station located here as a meet point for groups going to VIR from the Triangle area - 3804 N Duke St, Durham, NC 27704. They have a clean bathroom, gas, and snacks, plus the tire place next door has a large enough parking lot for a group of a dozen or two. And they don't open until after we are on our way to VIR. Usually we meet there around 6-6:15 am and leave shortly afterwards.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:59 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

If you come up I-40 to Hillsborough (Exit 261), I can jump into the caravan there. It's a straight shot up to Yanceyville and SR-62 which has some nice curvy stretches along the way.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:58 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like it would be a fun day, Id be interested in it depending on what my schedule is like in the spring. It would be nice if there was a notification list of some sort we could get on, I tend to loose track of dates like this...
Old 11-23-2015, 07:25 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by m6 c5
sounds like it would be a fun day, Id be interested in it depending on what my schedule is like in the spring. It would be nice if there was a notification list of some sort we could get on, I tend to loose track of dates like this...
Once everything is settled, I'll send out a PM to everyone who responds here.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:32 AM
y2kcoupe
Instructor

The date is definite - correct? April 1, 2016.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:38 AM
jesse82nc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The date is definite - correct? April 1, 2016.
Yes, I have confirmed it with the track management. There's still a small chance they could change it, but it is doubtful. It's always the first Friday of April.

Get notified of new replies

To Virginia International Raceway - Fall 2015 - Holiday Laps - 11/6

Old 12-06-2015, 01:52 PM
DinkyDonut
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

That's unfortunately the same weekend as the 1/2 mile race in Virginia.

Choices, choices..
Old 12-15-2015, 10:28 AM
y2kcoupe
Instructor

Good news - we approved the event for the Virginia Corvette Club. We will be caravanning from Lynchburg, if anyone wants to join us. However, I do not foresee that we will get there at 7:30 in the morning. Could you consider a later time?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:59 AM
jesse82nc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Good news - we approved the event for the Virginia Corvette Club. We will be caravanning from Lynchburg, if anyone wants to join us. However, I do not foresee that we will get there at 7:30 in the morning. Could you consider a later time?
I'll be there by 7:30am, and anyone that wants to get out in the first session should be there at that time as well. By 10-11am it starts to get very busy and wait times can get pretty high.

The plan is to have a row off to the right of the regular rows, that is Corvette only, and we would try to order the vehicles by power/experience so that we don't end up with someone with say a stock c5 and driver that has never been to the track at the front and a c7 z06 and driver that does HPDEs every weekend at the back. Hopefully that makes sense.

Every time that row gets to 40 cars, we will be able to go out and do a session. If it has over 40 cars, we would start to make a new row.

I'll stick around until about 3-4 or so.

Quick Reply: Virginia International Raceway - Fall 2015 - Holiday Laps - 11/6