Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

"Documentation Fees", "Delivery Fees" etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 04:39 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default "Documentation Fees", "Delivery Fees" etc.

In Miami-Dade County and Broward County: What are the garbage fees that each Chevy dealer adds? I know by state law, if they charge one customer the fee, the must charge all the customers the same fee. I am eligible for GM Supplier pricing, but GM allows the dealer to charge any garbage fee they want.

So, I would like to compile a list of the fees from all of the Chevy dealers in SoFla for our benefit. Felix Sabates Chevy in Homestead charges $695, which is actually low by SoFla standards - Florida has the highest garbage fees in the country.

As you add your data in this thread I will edit this post to have all the data at the top.

Felix Sabates Chevy Homestead FL $695
Autonation Chevrolet Greenacres, FL $699.95

Last edited by The Clevite Kid; 01-10-2016 at 07:37 PM. Reason: To add Greenacres
Old 12-27-2015, 09:07 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

One of my pet peeves doc fees....
Old 01-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Lorenzo-Bomen is one of those with the high fees. I had a long discussion with the owner about those. Pure Extra Stealer Profit.

Take my advice, forgo the local Stealerships and order what you want from one of the Forum vendors and opt for courtesy delivery or better still, pick it up from the museum, pick it up and drive it home, or have them transport it. In the end it will be a more pleasant experience and cheaper.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

GM limits the fee to $75I believe if they give you supplier or employee pricing. I know for a fact that the last 6 GM vehicles I purchased had that stipulation. That was across three dealerships and two states.

Documentation Fees
Dealers will be permitted to assess a
maximum of $75 in documentary fees, unless
(1) a higher maximum documentary fee is
specified by law, and (2) the dealer charges all
customers the same documentary fee. Each
dealer is responsible for complying with
applicable laws and regulations.
I believe the "and" in the wording prevents anything beyond $75 in most states.

Last edited by Bucknut2006; 01-03-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:32 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Dealers are independent businesses. In the absence of any laws to the contrary (or manufacturer imposed contractual limits), they can charge you anything they want, and you can choose to buy the car from them or not, or try to negotiate the fee. Some states do limit the size of such fees, others don't address them at all. If you tell a dealer you won't pay it, and get up and walk out the door, they might find a way to accommodate you.

It's no different than, say, a cell phone bill, where they say your cost is $80 per month, and then add $17 worth of fees and service charges.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 AM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Current GM Supplier Rule:

"Documentation Fees
Dealers may charge a documentation fee up to the amount allowable by state law. Each dealer is responsible for complying with applicable laws and regulations."

And I forgot to state in my OP, I am buying a Silverado Pickup, so Museum Delivery is not an option. I DID use RC8 for my C6, and highly recommend it, as well as purchasing from Tommy Jr. at McMulkin, who did not even charge the $75 fee then allowed.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:15 AM
67435animal
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
In Miami-Dade County and Broward County: What are the garbage fees that each Chevy dealer adds? I know by state law, if they charge one customer the fee, the must charge all the customers the same fee. I am eligible for GM Supplier pricing, but GM allows the dealer to charge any garbage fee they want.

So, I would like to compile a list of the fees from all of the Chevy dealers in SoFla for our benefit. Felix Sabates Chevy in Homestead charges $695, which is actually low by SoFla standards - Florida has the highest garbage fees in the country.

As you add your data in this thread I will edit this post to have all the data at the top.

Felix Sabates Chevy Homestead FL $695
Autonation Chevrolet Greenacres, FL $699.95
Old 01-24-2016, 06:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Some of them have to charge the same fee with every Customer. The thing is you can negotiate the amount by having them increase/reduce something else.

Doc fees are a sharp stick in the eye of the Customer and the dealer needs to know you consider them an insult and will walk if they don't do something to make them go away.

Bill
Old 01-25-2016, 08:45 AM
sly-1
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I walked away from a deal last year because the dealer would not drop the absurd doc fee. Of course, the salesman called me several days later to see if I wanted to come by and "work something out" but I had already negotiated a better deal elsewhere and had it in my driveway. I guess they thought I was bluffing. lol I have not paid one yet and will not ever. The doc fee is just a back door way of increasing profits so they can advertise lower prices. It is a shady practice that should be regulated by law.

The way I handle the doc fee is I don't ask about it until I have negotiated the actual sales price. When they bring the paperwork in and go through what I will be paying and mention doc fee (they always try to blow through it real quick and act like it is a required fee) I just stop them there and say I don't pay doc fees. They try to give me the "We have to charge the doc fee" and we go round and round. If they won't just mark it off, I tell them to just back it out of the sales price or whatever they have to do as long as my total out the door has the doc fee deducted from the previous total. If they don't remove it somehow, I am out the door.

Last edited by sly-1; 01-25-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To "Documentation Fees", "Delivery Fees" etc.

Quick Reply: "Documentation Fees", "Delivery Fees" etc.