Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

2008 Z06 Oil leak - repair suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:56 PM
LouS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2008 Z06 Oil leak - repair suggestions?

So I have a 2008 Z06 with around 8K miles that has developed a minor oil leak around the pan. At this point, I am thinking it is the pan gasket. The dealer I use (Carl Black Orlando) has not given me a price but says it will be a "big job" and from my Googling, I'm guessing it could be $800-$1000 if it's (hopefully) just the pan.

I am in the Orlando, FL area and I know we have Corvette Masters here in town, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to take it in this area? I have only had it in to Carl Black since I've had it (bought used in 2011).

Thanks,

Lou S.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:03 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I just backed my '11 GS out of the garage and noticed oil on the floor. I know I have read other threads about oil pan leaks ie re-torque bolts, replace pan, etc, but the search function just brought up your thread.

I'm in for the info!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:36 PM
LouS
Instructor

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I just backed my '11 GS out of the garage and noticed oil on the floor. I know I have read other threads about oil pan leaks ie re-torque bolts, replace pan, etc, but the search function just brought up your thread.

I'm in for the info!
So I noticed the pan was a little wet and there was a tiny drip from the oil pan drain plug. This was after my last oil change. I thought maybe they didn't tighten the drain plug enough so I brought it back to the dealer for them to check. They said the plug was tight and was likely leaking from the pan gasket. I'm hesitant to bring it back in and pay a ton of money for a tiny leak.

The LS7 has the dry sump oil system so I don't know if it's different than the LS3 either.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:22 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Lou! How is it going man? Haven't crossed paths with you in a long time. If you need to use the dealer, Keith the Corvette tech at AutoNation on west Colonial is the absolute best. Next Level in Altamonte is very good as well.
The following users liked this post:
LouS (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:58 AM
grn envy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by Ron C!
Lou! How is it going man? Haven't crossed paths with you in a long time. If you need to use the dealer, Keith the Corvette tech at AutoNation on west Colonial is the absolute best. Next Level in Altamonte is very good as well.

I use Keith for work on my Z, if he is too busy. I call up Next Level
Old 07-28-2016, 10:52 AM
LouS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron C!
Hey Ron! Long time no see! Thanks for the recommendations, I will check both out.

I try to get to some of Don's cruises if they are on my side of town. Been to Rock and Brews a few times but lately it's been too hot!

Lou
Old 07-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

+1 to Keith. Expect labor to be about $1k alone. It is a lot of work! You might want to think about him changing out the Harmonic Balancer while he is at it with an ATI. I provided him the balancer but forgot the bolt. But maybe the balancers on the Z06 don't have the same problems that base cars did? I had him do it and he added a part of an hour labor "while he was in there". A lot of dealers won't install parts you supply.

A lot of folks had great luck with Next Level. I have also heard that the techs @ StingRay Chevrolet are great also, but that's a bit of a ride. Folks have also told me that the techs are Jon Hall up in Daytona are great too, but I have not used them personally.

But as the others have said, try getting in there and tightening up the bolts a bit. Worse that can happen is it won't work.

Last edited by Flame Red; 07-28-2016 at 11:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LouS (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 05:35 PM
LouS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flame Red
+1 to Keith. Expect labor to be about $1k alone. It is a lot of work! You might want to think about him changing out the Harmonic Balancer while he is at it with an ATI. I provided him the balancer but forgot the bolt. But maybe the balancers on the Z06 don't have the same problems that base cars did? I had him do it and he added a part of an hour labor "while he was in there". A lot of dealers won't install parts you supply.

A lot of folks had great luck with Next Level. I have also heard that the techs @ StingRay Chevrolet are great also, but that's a bit of a ride. Folks have also told me that the techs are Jon Hall up in Daytona are great too, but I have not used them personally.

But as the others have said, try getting in there and tightening up the bolts a bit. Worse that can happen is it won't work.
Yeah, thanks for the input. Wow, $1K is a lot. I would have to put it on a lift to check the bolts. I'm not in a huge rush as it's only a drop or two every now and then. I'll have to see...
Old 07-29-2016, 04:09 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

$1000 seems high
Old 08-31-2016, 11:38 AM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by pewter99
$1000 seems high
That's about 9 hours! I wouldn't disregard the possibility of your leak being more a "porosity leak" rather than a gasket?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:17 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

So what did you end of doing. I have no oil leak on the garage floor...but my tech showed me the wet pan and the wet oil cooler lines and suggest we change both at the same time..8 to ten hours labor...I asked about throwing in the balancer since we in so deep...but tonight I'm thinking...my corvette doesn't use a drop of oil...

Why am I doing this.

Who cares is the oil pan is wet...if the oil usuage is non existent...?

What did you do? Leave it alone or spend the money to fix it.?

Thanks in advance

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 Oil leak - repair suggestions?

Quick Reply: 2008 Z06 Oil leak - repair suggestions?