Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Charlotte area Corvette guys, help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:43 AM
D Griff
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Charlotte area Corvette guys, help!

Hi everyone.

Dan here, I own a 2003 50th AE coupe, 6M. I have ordered C6Z06 shocks from Cultrag performance that I plan to install this weekend or sometime soon. Does anyone have a Tech II tool that can help me "code out" the mag ride in my car? It appears to be a simple procedure, I will buy you lunch/beer/give you $20 or whatever is a fair price.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a shop that would do this for me without making me drop my trousers? I've been calling around with no results.

Thanks!

Here's muh car on the Tail of the Dragon for fun!
Old 08-10-2016, 10:28 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

For a C5...I don't think you'll need a Tech II. I have swapped shocks on plenty of C5s and C6s and always had to use Tech II with C6s. There are small resistors you can buy at any electronics store like Radio Shack to insert into the plug from the mag ride system. Research the C5 forum to find out exactly what resistors you'll need. Then zip tie the plugs away from anything that moves and thats it.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:07 PM
D Griff
Intermediate

Thanks for the response! My understanding is that the resistor method won't work with the F55 suspension (which is used on 2002+ cars I think, definitely on my 2003). That was my original plan but all of my research indicates I need to code it out.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:46 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by D Griff
Thanks for the response! My understanding is that the resistor method won't work with the F55 suspension (which is used on 2002+ cars I think, definitely on my 2003). That was my original plan but all of my research indicates I need to code it out.
You may be right. Zip Corvette has RTD simulators for 1996-2002 and 2005-2013. No mention for the 2003/2004 C5's.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:13 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by D Griff
AHHHH! I think you're right....didn't think about that.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Thank you for the order and good luck getting the code out. Let us know your thoughts after the install. It is always valuable feedback.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 08-11-2016, 05:05 PM
D Griff
Intermediate

Well, I finally got in touch with JHR Performance in Mooresville and he said they'll "take a stab at it" for $100 but they tried before and it was unsuccessful. It doesn't seem that hard? There are clearly noted, specific directions on this forum. $100 is fine, but if they mess it up and it's just money down the pisser, that would be a drag. I can buy the tool for around $300, I almost wonder if I should do that and sell it after. I didn't think it would be this difficult.

I even called City Chevrolet and they don't want anything to do with it.

Ah well, I'll get it figured out one way or another. I need to decide if I'll mess with it this weekend or just wait until I have a week at home, cruising around with a no driving over 80 mph error could be obnoxious.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:44 PM
D Griff
Intermediate

Man, JHR want me to drop the car off... it would have to sit there all week as I'm out of town and I'd have to pay $40 to take an Uber up there from CLT to get it...

Bump, anyone have one of these?
Old 08-26-2016, 01:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Have you tried McKenney Chevrolet in Lowell? David their Vette guy may be able to do this. Not sure what they would charge but it might be worth a call. The BCM has to have the option removed from its programming although you may still get the max speed warning which would need to be reset using the reset button.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
D Griff (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 04:34 PM
D Griff
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Have you tried McKenney Chevrolet in Lowell? David their Vette guy may be able to do this. Not sure what they would charge but it might be worth a call. The BCM has to have the option removed from its programming although you may still get the max speed warning which would need to be reset using the reset button.

Bill
I got in touch with David and he said he can do it (and on Saturday too, which is a huge help for me and my work schedule).

Thank you!
Old 09-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

It takes no more than 5 minutes to turn on or off most any C5 RPO code with an up to date Tech II

http://techvelocity.com/stopforce/RPO.html
Old 09-07-2016, 05:12 PM
D Griff
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
It takes no more than 5 minutes to turn on or off most any C5 RPO code with an up to date Tech II

http://techvelocity.com/stopforce/RPO.html

This is why it's been so annoying that no one seemed willing to do it for me, even for $50.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:09 PM
D Griff
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
He did it for me at McKenney, thanks again for the tip. It was $100, but whatever, it's done and they seemed like good guys over there.

Get notified of new replies

To Charlotte area Corvette guys, help!

Quick Reply: Charlotte area Corvette guys, help!