Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

NC: Do you want to drive our amazing backroads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 05:06 PM
1truL48
Smokin' BBQ Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
NC Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Surprised no videos of Hwy 80. You boys need to get out more.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:15 PM
1truL48
Smokin' BBQ Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
NC Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Green River Cove Rd. just outside Saluda has an extremely tight section where it climbs the headwall. It's so tight it really isn't fun except on something like a dual sport bike but it's interesting.
Green River Cove Road and her wicked sister Hobart Cove Road are worth the ride any time of the year when you are near Saluda. But you have to watch out for those pesky whitewater rafting buses in the blind curves in the summertime. Run both with 15 Corvettes on one occasion in the fog, another on a fall day with wet leaves on the pavement, 6 turbo Saab 9-5s on another, and took the Hyundai down it a few times for the h3ll of it because I was in the area.

Great roads.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:29 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 1truL48
Surprised no videos of Hwy 80. You boys need to get out more.
I have some vids of 80. where's yours?
Old 08-31-2016, 03:12 PM
Ceptor
Team Owner

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'm normally up in the mtns on one of my bikes..... but would love to join in sometime with my C7.
I'll start looking here in this section more often.
PM me if something forms up. please.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:47 PM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

I'll be at the kooks car show on the 10th, then the clayton 1/2 mile on the 17th- so sometime after that I'll be doing another drive. I'll post up here what I'm thinking if anyone is down to join
Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 901 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by 1truL48
Green River Cove Road and her wicked sister Hobart Cove Road are worth the ride any time of the year when you are near Saluda. But you have to watch out for those pesky whitewater rafting buses in the blind curves in the summertime. Run both with 15 Corvettes on one occasion in the fog, another on a fall day with wet leaves on the pavement, 6 turbo Saab 9-5s on another, and took the Hyundai down it a few times for the h3ll of it because I was in the area.

Great roads.
Do you mean Holbert Cove Rd? I ran that last weekend on my way to Lake Lure. Overall, it's a better Vette road than Green River Cove.
The following users liked this post:
1truL48 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 06:33 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Interceptor430
I'm normally up in the mtns on one of my bikes..... but would love to join in sometime with my C7.
I'll start looking here in this section more often.
PM me if something forms up. please.
I just moved to Winston-Salem about a month ago and on a map it looks like you're not too far from me. Being new to the area I haven't explored the area yet, but it looks as if the roads a fantastic for driving. If you can put up with a slow driver I'd love to tag along or just meet up somewhere for coffee or a meal. I have a red C5, and sold my bike years ago, but I love to drive.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

Blindkenny.com if you want a picture of your car if you're cruising on devil's whip.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:52 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zero_6
Blindkenny.com if you want a picture of your car if you're cruising on devil's whip.
Here are his pics of me on Aug 28.

There is a black Vette earlier in the day, anybody on here?

I'll probably drive 215 to the BRP and come back down 107/281 on Sunday.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:57 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

I just looked through the pics after me and there's a red C5 and a black C7 as well.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:00 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

FYI, 278 had signs on it last Sunday between the blinking red light at Hwy 11 and the NC state line that construction was going to start Sep 14 2016. So be on the lookout for road hazards.

No idea just what they are going to do, maybe just pothole patching or guide rail repair. That stretch of road is not too bad, the NC portion up to Rosman is in worse shape. The stretch of 276 over Caesars Head is much worse.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:38 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
I live in WNC and go out alot with a couple buddies driving backroads and the more known "driving" roads quite often. Putting this out there in case there are other like minded drivers out there that would like to join us sometime on some roads that you might not know about other than the vastly overcrowded "dragon". you can either PM me on corvette forum or email me at jordanzachary@hotmail.com
These drives are anywhere from 2-11hr long and involve LOTS of curves, so don't bring a passenger if they get sick easily.
If you don't know what I'm going on about- these were taken yesterday
https://youtu.be/uEa9VmZcXco
https://youtu.be/bRAnA6eiWV0
I want to thank you for this info. Five of us took our cars up on Wednesday. We went up 226a, had lunch in Little Switzerland, then came down 80. I'll tell you this, five guys going DOWN 80, with too much macho, can get intense! We had two Miata's, a supercharged Mustang, my C3, and my sons C6 grand sport.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:35 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

yup you guys have some fun roads up there...just finished up our road trip going through some of them...Godzilla had some fun.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I just completed making my motel reservations for a cruise in that area at the end of October. Going to Martinsville for the Cup race Oct 30(called NASCAR to get my Hot Pass last week).
Even though I swore after the last run on the TOD, that I wouldn't be back, I'm going again, but not for overly spirted driving, just looking at the scenery at a slower pace.

Spend the night in Cherokee and then drive the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway(drop off to go to Martinsville on Sunday) and Skyline Drive to Front Royal, VA.

I have wanted to visit the Air and Space Museum out by Dullas for quite awhile, so I'm going to spend a day there.

I'm going to drive the mountains through West Virginia to Charleston, and then across Kentucky back to Springfield, MO.

Hope to hit the fall colors on time.

Then put the Z06 away for the winter and hole up till spring.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-18-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:17 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I just completed making my motel reservations for a cruise in that area at the end of October. Going to Martinsville for the Cup race Oct 30(called NASCAR to get my Hot Pass last week).
Even though I swore after the last run on the TOD, that I wouldn't be back, I'm going again, but not for overly spirted driving, just looking at the scenery at a slower pace.

Spend the night in Cherokee and then drive the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway(drop off to go to Martinsville on Sunday) and Skyline Drive to Front Royal, VA.

I have wanted to visit the Air and Space Museum out by Dullas for quite awhile, so I'm going to spend a day there.

I'm going to drive the mountains through West Virginia to Charleston, and then across Kentucky back to Springfield, MO.

Hope to hit the fall colors on time.

Then put the Z06 away for the winter and hole up till spring.
Sounds like a very nice trip. I've driven the entire length of the BRP and Skyline Drive but never in one trip. The Air and Space Museum at Dulles is awesome, you'll love it.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Sounds like a very nice trip. I've driven the entire length of the BRP and Skyline Drive but never in one trip. The Air and Space Museum at Dulles is awesome, you'll love it.
The last time I was there, we drove the BRP from Cherokee to Hwy 80, then Hwy 80 south. Before that, back in 1958, we drove the entire length of the DRP.

This time I'm doing the entire length plus Skyline Drive(over two days plus the day for the race at Martinsville).

I expect a lot of traffic as the motels have really filled up fast and they have raised their rates along the BRP, especially at the west end.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:04 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Yeah, you'll be stuck behind a bunch of Winnebago's stuck behind Harley's. It'll benear peak leaf peeping season. Average speed will be about 30 mph.

Get notified of new replies

To NC: Do you want to drive our amazing backroads?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:11 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

i really need to get off my *** and get up there soon. You guys got anything planned in the near future?
Old 09-20-2016, 01:23 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Yeah, you'll be stuck behind a bunch of Winnebago's stuck behind Harley's. It'll benear peak leaf peeping season. Average speed will be about 30 mph.
If you're lucky
Old 10-03-2016, 07:58 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Just did a 3hr stint on saturday- Drove around highlands and lake toxaway some (281 is fun), but did a new to me road called charles creek rd inbetween 281 and 215. You know a road is good when you find yourself laughing out loud by yourself while driving. It was the most challenged I've been on a road maybe ever-and yes, I still think the dragon ain't s**t. I only recommend going east on the road (from 281 towards 215) as the other side of the road needs work, and even going east as you approach 215 there are some potholes to avoid. I think I'm going to hit it again in the next few weeks with my new mic for my gopro.

Last edited by encasedmetal; 10-03-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: NC: Do you want to drive our amazing backroads?