Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

NC: Do you want to drive our amazing backroads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:20 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Default NC: Do you want to drive our amazing backroads?

I live in WNC and go out alot with a couple buddies driving backroads and the more known "driving" roads quite often. Putting this out there in case there are other like minded drivers out there that would like to join us sometime on some roads that you might not know about other than the vastly overcrowded "dragon". you can either PM me on corvette forum or email me at jordanzachary@hotmail.com
These drives are anywhere from 2-11hr long and involve LOTS of curves, so don't bring a passenger if they get sick easily.
If you don't know what I'm going on about- these were taken yesterday
Old 08-21-2016, 11:05 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

What?? No rain?? Fortunately some dry weather is finally heading our way starting tomorrow. We have really cut back on our driving this summer but hopefully it will pick up now. Is that Diamondback the road to Hot Springs? There are so many names for the local roads that we get them mixed up. Just head in any direction and you'll hit something fun to drive.
What always impresses my wife and I is the quality of these back roads to 'nowhere'. Just endless miles of paved roads. Maybe because there are so few trucks on them. Our cars just don't tear them up.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:17 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

The rattler 209 goes to hot springs. The diamondback loop goes around little Switzerland near marion
Old 08-21-2016, 04:57 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

I usually go south west of there. Rosman, Sylva, Highlands area. I was headed toward 215 & the BRP today but ran into rain and turned east. Took Fork Creek Rd to Pearson Falls to 176 up the Saluda Grade. What a run that is. Most of the uphill side is 2 lanes wide and you can take outrageous lines. I pulled a 1.11 on the G meter. Rain caught up with me after gassing up so headed on home.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:53 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a link to a big loop I did one year ago around the mountain roads. My goal was to stay off the higher-traffic roads as much as possible and to get lots of twisty turnies. I have a link to the route map and my impressions of various sections.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590306178

The following 3 users liked this post by CaryKen:
dr_gallup (08-22-2016), Monkey D. Luffy (09-20-2016), workmanw (09-08-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
The rattler 209 goes to hot springs. The diamondback loop goes around little Switzerland near marion
That's right. So many roads! It really is amazing here. When you live here, you tend to forget how fortunate we are.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:50 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

see, this is what I was hoping for-other like minded car owners in the area. I'm not trying to get 30 cars together and over expose our roads, I just want to open the lines of communication. As I said in the OP- if you're ever interested in driving with us or if you're going out- shoot me a line
Old 08-22-2016, 08:53 AM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I usually go south west of there. Rosman, Sylva, Highlands area. I was headed toward 215 & the BRP today but ran into rain and turned east. Took Fork Creek Rd to Pearson Falls to 176 up the Saluda Grade. What a run that is. Most of the uphill side is 2 lanes wide and you can take outrageous lines. I pulled a 1.11 on the G meter. Rain caught up with me after gassing up so headed on home.
I tend to as well- I live in mills river but my buddy in the ctsv had to be home by 3 and he lives in marion so we were accomodating that.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:27 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The road(s) in your video's look great to drive, I can't wait to discover some of them. I just moved to Winston-Salem and haven't explored the area too much yet but from what I have seen, the roads here are amazing. I had some roads that I used as practice roads before I went to racetracks in the N.E. but I only told to a very select group of people back in S.Jersey so I know what you mean about not wanting to publicize your roads. Happy driving.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:10 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

The devils staircase is pretty intense on the way up to the little Switzerland area
Old 08-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkbyteLT4
The devils staircase is pretty intense on the way up to the little Switzerland area
hoping to get up there before the leaves start to change
Old 08-25-2016, 10:51 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SharkbyteLT4
Is that the same as the devils whip (NC 80)?

Another favorite of mine is NC 151. It goes north only off the BRP just east of the Pisgah Inn. Drops about 2000 ft in 3 miles, something over 100 turns, very little traffic. It's almost too tight for our cars, really good on a sport bike.

Green River Cove Rd. just outside Saluda has an extremely tight section where it climbs the headwall. It's so tight it really isn't fun except on something like a dual sport bike but it's interesting.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:48 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Another favorite of mine is NC 151. It goes north only off the BRP just east of the Pisgah Inn. Drops about 2000 ft in 3 miles, something over 100 turns, very little traffic. It's almost too tight for our cars, really good on a sport bike.

Green River Cove Rd. just outside Saluda has an extremely tight section where it climbs the headwall. It's so tight it really isn't fun except on something like a dual sport bike but it's interesting.

yep, I love me some nc151. i've ridden it on a goldwing, but most were sport touring bikes over the years.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:58 PM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

I think he actually meant the devils whip- which actually has a much better stretch to it on the 2nd leg off off of 19E. IF you continue up to 261/143- that's the one to do as there's no traffic and the road is perfect. Going down 151 is a killer of brakes, but going up as fast as you can push it is a sweet challenge. Lots of wrecks from cars going down-especially at night.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:54 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Whole bunch of maps of good roads and loops in NC, TN & GA here:

http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/
Old 08-26-2016, 05:20 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm heading out in about 2 hours! I'm going just where the wind blows me. A few weeks ago we ended up in Lake Lure doing that and had a great time. I haven't decided which way I'll go tonight. Guess I'll know when I get there:-). Thinking about going to the Poplar car show tomorrow though. That's a nice drive.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:39 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aafadca
A few weeks ago we ended up in Lake Lure doing that
Oh my gawd... You need to be more careful!

Get notified of new replies

To NC: Do you want to drive our amazing backroads?

Old 08-29-2016, 11:51 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Drove a great 300+ mile loop on Sunday. Got away about 8:30 and home about 5:30. Hit many of the routes listed here including The Devils Whip NC80 & Devils Staircase NC 226 alt. The google maps link does not include the legs to & from my house and a quick plunge down NC 151 and back up. I stopped in Asheville at Wicked Weed brewing for lunch, I love their Freak of Nature double IPA. I did a 6 beer sampler flight. Really liked their Juiceless IPA which has a great grapefruit note but they swear there is no actual citrus in it hence the Juiceless name. Got back on the BRP and headed on south to NC 215 and came on down thru Rosman and down 178. I have to say those are still some of the best driving in the state. Less traffic, fewer driveways & businesses, better pavement. Helps that I know them like the back of my hand. Forgot to get the peak G meter reading but I saw 1.03 & I'm sure I exceeded that.

300+ mile loop

Last edited by dr_gallup; 08-29-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: fixing link
Old 08-29-2016, 12:57 PM
encasedmetal
Burning Brakes

Drove a great 300+ mile loop on Sunday. Got away about 8:30 and home about 5:30. Hit many of the routes listed here including The Devils Whip NC80 & Devils Staircase NC 226 alt. The google maps link does not include the legs to & from my house and a quick plunge down NC 151 and back up. I stopped in Asheville at Wicked Weed brewing for lunch, I love their Freak of Nature double IPA. I did a 6 beer sampler flight. Really liked their Juiceless IPA which has a great grapefruit note but they swear there is no actual citrus in it hence the Juiceless name. Got back on the BRP and headed on south to NC 215 and came on down thru Rosman and down 178. I have to say those are still some of the best driving in the state. Less traffic, fewer driveways & businesses, better pavement. Helps that I know them like the back of my hand. Forgot to get the peak G meter reading but I saw 1.03 & I'm sure I exceeded that.

300+ mile loop
Nice! I've been trying o stay off the parkway lately as traffic has been picking up
Old 08-29-2016, 03:26 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by encasedmetal
Nice! I've been trying o stay off the parkway lately as traffic has been picking up
That drive did include a lot of BRP driving but traffic wasn't bad. I do keep it pretty conservative on the BRP as it's pretty heavily patrolled and those park rangers don't mess around. I got stuck behind one for awhile but he turned off at Mt Mitchel.

Quick Reply: NC: Do you want to drive our amazing backroads?