Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Just a question about Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 12:34 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by smellya
Hello all. We will be flying out the 3rd-6th of December to look at houses. What areas should we avoid? Right now we are pretty open.
How close to the city do you need to be? You have an agent? My friend is the best. I can give you about 10 references that he's found houses for. Some of them had to fire their crappy agents to use my friend instead.

Lawrenceville/Buford/Snellville are the areas I'm familiar with. You get more bang for the buck with houses in these areas. Traffic sucks getting into the city on weekdays but that's pretty much every highway that leads into Atlanta.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:15 PM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm familiar with North Georgia--the mountains. We're about as close to the city as we want and need to be and enjoy small-town living.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:20 PM
z06Don
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

If you like Bogart....you will like anything in Barrow county....anything in this area is pretty nice.....lots of housing to choose from. Hope you have a safe and productive trip. If you need a good realtor let me know....I just bought a house in Winder in March....mine was wonderful to work with and very helpful.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:00 AM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cyi1
How close to the city do you need to be? You have an agent? My friend is the best. I can give you about 10 references that he's found houses for. Some of them had to fire their crappy agents to use my friend instead.

Lawrenceville/Buford/Snellville are the areas I'm familiar with. You get more bang for the buck with houses in these areas. Traffic sucks getting into the city on weekdays but that's pretty much every highway that leads into Atlanta.
My wife contacted a realtor and I hope it turns out well. She is the researcher and I just take a back seat and let her do her thing. Thanks everyone for all the good info.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Rumrunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do both of you work and will you be working remote or traveling to an office and if to an office where would that office be located?
Old 12-03-2016, 01:32 AM
smellya
Burning Brakes

My wife is a middle school teacher and I am a nurse. We are planning on finding jobs closer to moving. Right now she has a 10 mile commute and I travel all over the state for work. I just want to work in one place. I don't really mind a hour commute both ways.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:42 AM
WESTFREESTYLE
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You'll love it here. Commerce - drag strip, Braselton - Road Atlanta road course, North Ga. mtns are always nice for a drive or bike ride if ur into motorcycles. Hall Co. here, no emissions. Some good shops here as well, LSXPERTS - Canton, Vengeance Racing - Cumming, MTI Racing - Marietta. BTW my brother is a tech for one of the above listed shops so if u ever wind up in a pinch & need anything done after hours etc let me know!
The following users liked this post:
smellya (12-08-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:53 PM
69L46
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23

My wife is a middle school teacher and I am a nurse. We are planning on finding jobs closer to moving. Right now she has a 10 mile commute and I travel all over the state for work. I just want to work in one place. I don't really mind a hour commute both ways.
Unfortunately, if you pick the wrong spot, it could take an hour to go only 10 miles. Traffic's pretty bad in the metro.

When I moved to the area, I found this site to be helpful in getting a feel for things in some of the different areas:

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
Old 12-11-2016, 09:08 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiritOf76
Watch those Georgia State Patrol Troopers. BALL BREAKERS.
I agree, went to Atlanta yesterday to get wheels from a forum member, the GSP were everywhere along 16-75-85, they had someone pulled or were hiding in the mediums, meanwhile the real bad guys and crooks are getting with all sorts of REAL crime...
Old 12-11-2016, 09:55 PM
dieselfan
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the Peachtree City, Ga area. We are 30 minutes south of Atl Hartsfield airport. I belong to Peach State Corvette Club we have about 125 members & welcome new people. http://www.peachstatecorvette.com/. This is a great area to live with excellent schools etc.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

How did the hunt go....? Zillow and google earth can go a long way towards finding an area you are interested in....Once you find a neighborhood with houses in your price range on zillow then use GE to zoom into street view and take a good look around. I live in Bartow as well...There are 4 large hospitals within 25 miles and traffic ain't too bad to any of them.

Good luck with the hunt...
Brian
smellya (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:45 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

I found a house I really like. I am just working on talking my wife into it. It's in Cumming ga. 7265 wingfield way. Amazing house with a little over 3 acres of land. My wife still likes a house we could not see in Bogart. It's just crazy what you can get when you are not in California. Half way done prepping to put our house on the market.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

I work in Cumming Ga.....That's a great house.

Brian
smellya (12-18-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:40 PM
69monzacpe
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I found a house I really like. I am just working on talking my wife into it. It's in Cumming ga. 7265 wingfield way. Amazing house with a little over 3 acres of land. My wife still likes a house we could not see in Bogart. It's just crazy what you can get when you are not in California. Half way done prepping to put our house on the market.
Yup, big difference between GA and CA. When my employer shut down and moved the plant I ran in GA to Ensenada MX, they asked me if I wanted run it. I looked around San Diego and it just blew me away what they were getting for a "fixer-upper": 2 bedroom, one bath with carport, no basement, on 1/8 acre...$500,000. Of course my employer didn't want to adjust my pay accordingly, so I declined the position. I'm happy that I stayed in GA.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:18 PM
1SLO2OH
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

Cumming is just north of me, as I'm in Alpharetta. I'm new to the forums since I just bought my first Vette, but not new to the car scene. I work at TopSpeed Motorsports in Alpharetta. I moved down here from North Dakota just over a year ago and really like it here, especially up here just north of the city. You will like it a lot!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:45 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

Just my 2 cents, but I would rent a house/apartment until you find jobs. That way you can buy a house better suited to your commute. The traffic in and around Atlanta is a nightmare !!!!
smellya (12-18-2016)

Quick Reply: Just a question about Georgia