Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Alternate route around Atlanta (north/south)

Old 10-31-2016, 10:57 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Alternate route around Atlanta (north/south)

Just drove the usual route from Michigan to Florida along I75....seems Atlanta traffic is getting worse into and out of the city...downtown is fine in the diamond lane, but to and from the city is horrible now.

I was looking at a map and saw a possible route off to the west from Rome, Ga. to Griffin, Ga. Looks like good roads all the way around Atlanta ...your thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:07 AM
69monzacpe
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Just drove the usual route from Michigan to Florida along I75....seems Atlanta traffic is getting worse into and out of the city...downtown is fine in the diamond lane, but to and from the city is horrible now.

I was looking at a map and saw a possible route off to the west from Rome, Ga. to Griffin, Ga. Looks like good roads all the way around Atlanta ...your thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated.
You may want to look at Hwy 27 route, old GA-FL hwy. Not a bad ride, a good bit is divided or undivided 4 lanes.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

The traffic around Atlanta is a nightmare, It starts at 5am and if you're lucky it ends at midnight. My only advice is to use the WAZE app to get you around the traffic. It's not perfect but it really does help.

Have a safe trip
The following users liked this post:
$$$frumnuttin' (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 03:23 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate
The traffic around Atlanta is a nightmare, It starts at 5am and if you're lucky it ends at midnight. My only advice is to use the WAZE app to get you around the traffic. It's not perfect but it really does help.

Have a safe trip
it just seems to be getting worse every year....I've never seen so many 200 foot construction cranes in one place. If I can find a way to avoid some of the mess it would be great....it's not the downtown area anymore, I can handle that easily now with the improved signage..(after the bus went off the overpass years ago). I am guessing the route to the west would add significant time to the trip, but reduce the crazy driving for 100 miles...it's worse than the Miami to Key West 130 mile run at 45 mph all the way. I just don't know anything about those roads west of Atlanta...was hoping someone on the forum would comment....
Old 11-01-2016, 03:42 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I've been driving through ATL for years, I have yet to find a "great" alternative to get away from terrible traffic.

I would really love it if they cut a new interstate from Chattanooga to Greenville, that would cut a good chunk of the pressure out.
$$$frumnuttin' (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 09:26 PM
redd202
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless your just looking for a scenic detour, going that far out of the way usually isn't necessary. Try to hit Atlanta outside of rush hour (7am-10am and 4pm-7pm) and remember, I-285 is your friend. Even though the downtown connector is a shorter route, once you're inside the Perimeter, it's much more complicated to get out when something goes wrong traffic-wise.

If you're just passing through, allow about an hour to get from one side to the other (it may not necessarily take that long, but it provides a good cushion), avoiding the times above, and it should go pretty smoothly.

And I second the Waze app recommendation - it will do a good job getting you around those unexpected snafu's that are bound to pop-up and save you a good bit of time. Safe travels.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:56 AM
69monzacpe
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Thought I'd post this up, just for a reality check, US-27 vs I-75/I-85 interstate, Rome GA to Tallahassee FL. I don't see much time difference.....

Old 11-02-2016, 12:34 PM
redd202
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69monzacpe
OP didn't specify which part of Florida he was traveling to, so not sure if that route is applicable or not. Nonetheless, this is a great example of how travel times over shorter distances with slower speeds can be equal to longer distances and faster speeds (especially with all the "incidents" and construction along I-75 right now).

Would be interesting to see how the detour he mentioned from I-75 (starting at roughly the Calhoun, GA area) through Rome and Griffin, back down to Macon compares with Calhoun to Macon going straight through Atlanta.

Personally, I find the back-roads to be a more enjoyable drive, even if they are longer. And it means you get to spend more time behind the wheel of a fun car.
$$$frumnuttin' (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 69monzacpe
Thought I'd post this up, just for a reality check, US-27 vs I-75/I-85 interstate, Rome GA to Tallahassee FL. I don't see much time difference.....

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rome...9!2d30.4382559
thanks, that's close to what I plan to do next trip...being retired time is not a major factor; I would do one thing different, that's cut over to I75 into Griffin, GA instead of from Tallahassee. Griffin appears to be far enough south allowing me to miss most of the nuisance driving. The road from there is all new; it's what we rarely see in Michigan
Old 11-02-2016, 04:13 PM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

The western route is much less stressful than through Atlanta. As you stated, it's not the downtown area that's so bad (except during the worst of the rush-hours), it's the areas north and south of town. Actually, the western route works great, especially if you're going to the Florida panhandle.
$$$frumnuttin' (11-03-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 08:35 AM
92mr2turbo
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by redd202
Unless your just looking for a scenic detour, going that far out of the way usually isn't necessary. Try to hit Atlanta outside of rush hour (7am-10am and 4pm-7pm)
I would say 6am-12 noon and 3pm-8pm anywhere in Atlanta will be a mess. The afternoon and evenings are worse.
$$$frumnuttin' (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 11:36 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If at all possible try to pass thru on a Sunday or late nite 10pm-4am
$$$frumnuttin' (11-07-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Alternate route around Atlanta (north/south)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternate route around Atlanta (north/south)