Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Anyone been to Deals gap(tail of the dragon)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:38 PM
jeffgt3rs
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone been to Deals gap(tail of the dragon)

Anyone been to tail of the dragon? Im thinking about going to enjoy the roads, and want to know what everyone thinks about the place.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:11 PM
1truL48
Smokin' BBQ Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
NC Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

This will be the first of a couple 100 replies but do yourself a favor and go early to mid week. The good thing about getting to US129 is there are more than a dozen great drives on the way. Get a good map and get off the interstate once you get west of Charlotte. Take state and local roads and allow yourself to be immersed in the drive. Make plans to take a few days getting there and coming back.

Once you are there and driving it, please stay on your side of the yellow line. Otherwise, you can extend your trip with a visit to the Circuit Court office in Maryville, TN. If you're given options, see Judge Dave Duggan. He's a Corvette fan.

Last edited by 1truL48; 03-07-2017 at 05:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (04-27-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:45 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I went back in december and I had a good time. Now that the weather will be warming up pretty good soon, it is highly recommended you go during the week while everybody is at work. It will be full of cars on the weekend.

Before I went agressive on it, i made one run through it first to see if any cops were positioned on it. They usually only patrol it hard during the weekends, during the week not so much.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:05 AM
jeffgt3rs
Intermediate

These post are making me excited, any recommended hotels in the area?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Can't recommend any motels in that area (we live close by and don't stay overnight) but nice lunch stops are the Wildwood Grill in Fontana Village w/ outdoor deck and the Tapoco River Grill w/ outdoor seating on the small river (more like a creek) about 7 miles from the Dragon. Both on the NC side. We like both equally. Both on Trip Advisor if you like reviews.
Make sure you watch for the pro photographers along the TOTD route. Only about $7 each photo when you order what you like on-line. Avoid weekends during the busy season. Have fun!
Attachment 48070744

Attachment 48070745

Last edited by Atomic6; 11-06-2020 at 07:52 AM.
jeffgt3rs (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 AM
jeffgt3rs
Intermediate

beautiful c4, hows the pavement on the dragon?
Atomic6 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:01 PM
1truL48
Smokin' BBQ Member
Support Corvetteforum!

NC Events Coordinator

Some of the corners and Gravity Cavity take some abuse so stay out of the marbles in the curves or you'll see parts of the terrain usually reserved for foot patrols and helicopter rescues. Overall the road is in good shape because it takes alot of abuse.

And try and gas up before you get there. As memory serves, the station at Fontana Village is pretty high.

Last edited by 1truL48; 03-08-2017 at 02:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1truL48:
jeffgt3rs (03-08-2017), ronkh57 (04-27-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:09 PM
jeffgt3rs
Intermediate

It would be nice to organize a call corvette drive on the dragon. Are the police down there lenient on speeding or do they ticket for 2-5mph over speed limit?
snow (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:38 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

I have not been there for quite a few years as the TN Governor got a bug up his *** over all the internet and news reports on all the speeding and crashing going on and ordered the highway patrol to really crack down. There was a time they were all over the road and one wheel over the center line would get you a ticket. I believe the uproar has died down and it's better now but as the others have said, go during the week as both the crowds and the LEO presence are much less. Right now is a great time before the leaves come out as you can see through the turns better.

There are dozens of other roads that are nearly as good (some even arguably better) that are not quite as infamous. They tend to get much less scrutiny from the LEO. Stay off the interstates and away from the bigger cities and nearly every road in the southern Appalachians is a good drivers road. I've been living in the foot hills for the last 33 years and riding sport bikes and driving sports cars through these mountains every chance I get.
jeffgt3rs (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:43 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jeffgt3rs
It would be nice to organize a call corvette drive on the dragon. Are the police down there lenient on speeding or do they ticket for 2-5mph over speed limit?
There are multiple organized rides/drives there by nearly every club/group/make you can think of. See this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...he-dragon.html

Personally, I would not be caught dead in a line of 400 anythings parading around at low speed.
snow (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:49 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

The road has its own website -- full of mostly good advice, maps, etc.

http://tailofthedragon.com/

As mentioned -- mid-week is best and do NOT speed and have fun

If you go on a weekend -- this is what you contend with
http://tailofthedragon.com/events/

Last edited by raff; 03-08-2017 at 03:51 PM.
jeffgt3rs (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:53 PM
jeffgt3rs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Personally, I would not be caught dead in a line of 400 anythings parading around at low speed.
Good point. Might have to see if i can gather a small group of cars to make the trip.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:55 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

Been there many times on sport bikes and cars. We usually go in May every year. The Dragon is OK but there are other roads there that are way better. We love the blood mountain loop, and the the roads out to Helen. The blue ridge is spectacular as well.
jeffgt3rs (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 08:58 AM
jeffgt3rs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by snow
Been there many times on sport bikes and cars. We usually go in May every year. The Dragon is OK but there are other roads there that are way better. We love the blood mountain loop, and the the roads out to Helen. The blue ridge is spectacular as well.
Thansk for your input. I would like to know what roads that are a must to drive on while im down there. Obviously the dragon. What about cherohala skyway?
https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/cherohala-skyway-map/
Old 03-09-2017, 09:20 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

Thansk for your input. I would like to know what roads that are a must to drive on while im down there. Obviously the dragon. What about cherohala skyway?
https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/cherohala-skyway-map/
The skyway is a great road one of the top rides for sure. Take it at Robinsville make sure to stop at Big junction it is the tallest point along the run. Plenty of over looks but early in the AM is best. You will have it all to yourself. When you get off at the end in Tellico Plains take the loop back via 360 N till 411 and then back via 72 till 129. That will take you up the backside of the Dragon.

Another really nice ride is the foothill pkwy right before you head up the backside of the dragon it will take you to 321. here you can take Little river (if it is open) sometimes it will be closed due to issues with the road.

Do the US28 loop as well. That is a nice ride as well. One that we always do the the TWO run. you take 28 to 74 and then 60 S to Suches GA, Take 60 all the way down till you hit the cross roads which is 19 / 129. Take 19 to 129 and that will lead you to the start of the blood mountain run.Spectacular road with plenty of passing opportunities. Be careful on the weekends with the local in Porches, they will suck you in. A lot of decreasing radius turns and high speed turns. You can take 129 all the way back. Way too many roads to put down. Be mindful of bikes in the spring and summer plenty of squids on bikes that will be over the double yellow in the curves.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:00 AM
jeffgt3rs
Intermediate

Snow thanks for all the info. when i finish planning a route via google maps i will post it so it can be reviewed. I don't want to miss the top rated roads.

Also anyone in Virginia willing to make the trip pm me.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

beautiful c4, hows the pavement on the dragon?
Thanks! The pavement was re-done not too many years ago with special attention made to building 'pullouts'. Big improvement IMO. That way you don't get run over by the bikes. They usually pass but sometimes it's nice to pull over if someone else is on your butt.
Cherohala is a must and equal in beauty to the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Try to time your lunch (yeah, we know the good restaurants) so you can eat in Tellico Plains, TN at Tellico Grains (cute play on words). They have the famous local ham served in their sandwiches. It's a treat. Not much seating inside so think 'take out' lunch and sit at one of the Cherohala overlooks (pullouts).
Ref law enforcement, weekends are the busiest for them since it is the most crowded. We rarely see activity during the week although we did hit a DL check point on the NC side of the Cherohala once. No big deal unless you don't a license. They do have fatalities every year so you can understand the presence. Some drivers are just fools, plain and simple.
14 Stingray (03-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone been to Deals gap(tail of the dragon)

Old 03-09-2017, 11:50 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NC96CE
Thanks! The pavement was re-done not too many years ago with special attention made to building 'pullouts'. Big improvement IMO. That way you don't get run over by the bikes. They usually pass but sometimes it's nice to pull over if someone else is on your butt.
TIA to anyone who pulls over or waves us past!
Just do it in a safe place. I've had people wave me by on the entrance to a blind turn, thanks but I'll wait just a bit!

Worst are the oblivious HD riders holding up the Winnebago's. You could walk faster.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:44 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

Fontana Village Resort is a good place to stay. The road from there back to Deals Gap (terminus of The Dragon) is fun.
jeffgt3rs (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:25 PM
1truL48
Smokin' BBQ Member
Support Corvetteforum!

NC Events Coordinator

I'll be down a Corvette but send me a pm when you're making the ride and I'll gas up the luxury liner and head over that way. With my 2 tons of steel, it will make a helluva plow.

Quick Reply: Anyone been to Deals gap(tail of the dragon)