Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

(SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 09:21 AM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Default (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession

GottahaveACorvetteitis

Compulsive addictions grip a man?s life and twist it in ways untold. Some people become addicted to money. Others let success go to their heads. Gambling ones wealth away leads to broken men. Chocolate even ranks up high on the list of ?gotta have it? things. This sickness of compulsive addictions even reaches its nasty grasp to Car Nuts.

Yes GottahaveACorvetteitis runs rampant. Its reach goes from sea to shining sea. Mountain tops to Valleys below are caught in the snare of this obsession. Nowhere is a safe haven. It sneaks up on the fortunate. Before too much time passes by, the victims find themselves fully engulfed with this most desired compulsive addiction.

One minute there are no signs. The next minute people find themselves in the clutches of the compulsion. Victims come down with Classic symptoms. Each one is easy to spot. Symptoms ranging from Elevated Fever to Day dreaming are the early ones. Day dreaming leads to searching for the needle in a haystack. Buy and starve if you have to is the next sign of infection. Most severe cases lead to the buy and starve if you have to stage. Hungry or not the next stage after purchase of the Ultimate Cure, A shiny Corvette, is moditopiea. Moditopiea becomes the burning sting of the addiction. Few patients can ever leave well enough alone and begin the recovery phase. No, they must mold the medicine in their own image. Therefore, moditopiea becomes the pursuit of making a good thing even better. No case to date of moditopiea has ever been cured. The final incurable stage of GottahaveACorvetteitis is one that leads to the GottahaveAnotheritis. Yes, this stage is reached by more than 50% of all victims. Small doses of visiting the Assembly Plant where this mythical Car is build gives the obsession temporary relief but more often than not proves to be the breaking point of recovery. Symptoms range from the mild to the full blown undeniable classics. If you look around carefully, someone near you may have this compulsive addiction.

I myself have been diagnosed with the most severe of cases of this welcomed addiction among Car nuts. It has led to many cruises, drag races, auto crossing, moditopiea and even the last stage of GottahaveAnotheritis. There have been repeated attempts to lessen the affects of this stage. Bowling Green Assembly plant workers and I are on a first name Basis. No matter how many times I go back for a ?Quick fix?. It never works. Hopelessly wrapped up in my compulsion, the infection has spread. My four girls are entering the first stages. Yes, their temperature rises at the sight of a Corvette. Little hearts jump for joy as these Fiberglass beauties drive effortlessly down the road. Aimee and Vanessa, my two youngest at 7 and 8, daydream daily. Natalie at 14 has visions of owning a ZR1 with a Red on Red color scheme. One day, the needle in the haystack is going to poke her and then, I am in trouble, big trouble. Brittany is caught in crossfire; her daydreaming stage has not quite given over to the searching for a needle in a haystack. Never fear though, the day of searching will soon be upon her. Laura, my wife, is the silent one. She worries me. Where I am outspoken about the desire that rages from this addiction, she is quietly silent. That worries me beyond belief. I expect her to have placed an order for a new C6 one day and then tell me about on the way to the National Corvette Museum to pick get it. Every man should be so lucky.

As badly as the addiction has me in its clutches, I am sure others are severely affected. At our recent Car show at Up the Creek, I met NoelC5 for the second time. A young college student with a bright future, Noel had taken the plunge several weeks earlier to join the ranks of the infected. Yes, He to now owned a shiny Red C5 coupe. Seven days earlier, Noel joined the SMC for a little cruising with sixty four Corvettes and 85 of his closest new friends. There is no better way to learn to drive one of these magnificent Creations but trial by Fire. A Dragon?s fire is the best teacher. Chasing the Tail of the Dragon and 318 curves in 11 miles, drivers are either burnt or hooked. Noel survived that Saturday unscathed. He had taken the trial by fire and passed with flying colors. This led to the most severe stage of GottahaveACorvetteitis. Yes, he was fully overcome with the most desired symptom of GottahaveAnotheritis. Noel confirmed my suspicion at the Car show.

The fifth generation of Corvettes is presently being built at the Assembly Plant in Bowling Green. Public Tours of the plant to watch the cars go from a pile of parts to completed Corvettes goes on twice daily. During times of Retooling for a future generation, Holidays, or vacation weeks, the tours end. The sixth generation of Corvettes is looming in the near months. Like most big Car companies, the Next generation of any car or truck is TOP SECRET. Prying eyes are not welcome. Tours were rapidly coming to a close as Noel and I talked about getting a ?fix?. One last ?hit?, if you will, was needed to hold us over.

Talk led to ideas. Ideas led to plans. Plans led to a road trip. Monday the 24th of November was the departure date chosen. My midnight shift ended at 6 am in the morning. This gave Noel ample time according to the plans to leave Knoxville and pick me up in Kingston. He would drive up to Bowling Green while I took a nap. We should arrive in time for the first plant tour at 9 am Central time. I promised to call Noel the Saturday the 22nd to confirm we were still a go for the trip. As the weeks came and went, my symptoms became more pronounced. Coworkers could see the excitement bubbling through the frustration of nothing going right at work. Work was work. Some days are better than others. The weekend proved to be my turn to climb Mt. Everest. My thoughts kept drifting away toward the planned trip. No matter what problem arose, sanctity was merely a few days away. I was going to my second home.
As Saturday night rolled around, a quick phone call put the exclamation point on the severity of Noel?s obsession. The conversation turned from plan confirmation to Noel telling me of his trek to Bowling Green on Friday for the first daily tour. Not only had he made it by the Plant but also by the Museum. Noel was telling his story all the while I was thinking Monday plans would be canceled. To my surprise, Noel still wanted to go. There were only three days of touring left at the Plant. Public Access to the Plant would end on Wednesday. This trip had turned into a mission. Neither Rain, nor sleet, nor dark of night would keep us from the appointed destiny.

Our resolve was going to be tested Monday. Rain had moved into the East Tennessee valley. I never knew that rain could go sideways, upside down, and straight down at the same time. Wind and rain mixed make you feel like you are in a blender going round and round. As Noel pulled in to meet me Monday morning, I was hopeful they he was at a fever pitch like me. Bowling Green was calling. We had to make this journey. As he rolled down his window to say hello, I knew I was headed for Bowling Green rain or shine. Darn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead.

Part of the plans was for me to get a nap in route to the Plant. Well that went out the window about as fast as the idea crossed my mind. Excitement filled the interior of the Car as both of us could not stop talking about Corvettes. Seconds turned to minutes. Minutes turned into hours. Those hours rolled by as fast as the Kentucky bluegrass on Highway 231 appeared in the rear view mirror. One turn led to another. Before we knew it, The Assembly Plant was within sight. If Noel would have had a blood pressure monitor, I am sure it would have shone mine rising at the sight of the Corvette birthplace.
GottahaveAnotheroneitis was in full tilt boogie, again.

Easing into the parking lot after a quick bite of breakfast, we were both smiling. The doctor had prescribed a dose of Assembly plant visitation to knock the edge of the compulsion. Following his orders to a Tee, we planned on going through both the morning and afternoon tour. The parking lot never seems to be empty at the Plant. Apparently, other owners have the same contagious affliction. The realm of GottahaveACorvetteitis knew no bounds. Draw like a moth to the light, visitors were draw to the conference room to get group number assignments for the tour.

Sitting back and watching, Noel and I noticed this family sitting in front of us. Small talk gave way to the Father sharing his dream of owning a Corvette. Mother on the other hand thought the Harley sitting in the garage was enough. ?We can not afford a Corvette even though it would be nice to own one? she said. There two children just sat and listened quietly. The 14 year old daughter told a story about her grandfather?s Corvette. She said she had never sat in the car. This gave me an Idea. During the Tour, the group passes by First start. Someone from the Crowd would get the opportunity to start a new Corvette. Plan A ran through my head as the tour Guide called our number. Given the chance, I was going to try to make a dream come true.

The tour winded through the various parts of the plant. To most casual observers, there was too much going on to keep track of it all. To seasoned visitors, C6 parts and tools loomed at every corner. Noel and I looked around for anything C6 all the while telling the nice family what we knew and answering questions they posed. Like Dorothy following the yellow brick road, the tour wound around following the pedestrian walkway. Noel and I on the other hand looked like a couple of Giraffes stretching our necks to see all the hidden parts and pieces. Engineers and workers alike just smiled and smirked playfully as they saw us. They knew what we wanted to see. They knew where it was. They were not telling. At one of the stops prior to first start, I quietly spoke to the tour guide and asked a favor. The tour guide agreed to make the dream come true for the young lady with her parents. Plan A was coming together nicely.

Parts of C6 Corvettes lay on the floor at various locations. Pink stickers labeled C-6 gave away the true identity to there purpose. Sneaky GM was. They hid the parts of Tomorrow?s Corvette in plain sight. My fever had not subsided. It had grown worse as the tour carried on toward First Start. This quick fix was failing. It must have been the influx of C6 parts lying around the floor. Somehow this trip had been a symptom enhancer. It definitely was not a remedy. First start loomed in the horizon of the walkway. A 14 year old girls dream was about to come true whether she knew it or not.

At a distance prior to first start, something unusual caught my eye. Two cars were under tan car covers. There shape was familiar but different. Like hitting a brick wall at mach two, it hit me. C6. C6. C6. One was a coupe the other was a Convertible. Their lines took on the shape of the familiar C5 traveling down the line in front of them. They had more fender definition though. A C3 fender rushed to mind as we passed ever so closer. While I was staring the tour guide just smiled and saw me picking my jaw up of the floor. Looking over at Noel, I thought I saw him picking his up as well. We were within 20 feet of the most sought after car since the C5 debut back in 1997. The only thing standing between us and those cars was an assembly line moving C5?s and burly workers who knew what we had found. Go for it and get kicked out or stay calm and absorb the moment, choices, the strain was too much to bear.

Reality set in though. Our guide had stopped the group at First start. Like she had promised, she selected the nice young lady for the privilege of bringing a Corvette to life. A smile is worth a thousand words in my book. Her smile as she walked over to get the keys told the story. She was happy as a girl could be. With a turn of the key, the ignition roared to life. Mom and Dad took a double take with gleaming smiles. Pride coursed through their veins as their little girl had just grown up a little bit. Unknown to them, their daughter had just been infected with the Addiction that Noel and I suffered from today. She was another person who would succumb to the symptoms quietly. One day down the road, this young lady would own a Corvette. Her future was bright and a fiberglass was in it. Her Father and Mother thanked me for asking the tour guide to help this dream come true. If only they would have known. Once infected a person is compelled to make the dream come true. That will to achieve this goal rubs off on Moms and Dads as well. Yeah, a Corvette loomed in their future as well.

Noel and I learned a lesson that day. No matter how many times you go to the Plant. No matter how many times you visit the National Corvette Museum. No matter how many behind the scenes tours Adam Boca gives you. There is no know cure for the GottahaveACorvetteitis. Day after day, week after week, this desired condition gets the best of you and takes control. Spread the good news people. GottahaveACorvetteitis is not deadly. Instead it gives you a thrill that can take away the worst day emotions and wash them away in the roar of an engine coming to life. The sound and feel of your hair blowing in the breeze sweeps you away. Question is. Do You too have GottahaveACorvetteitis? I do.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :D :D :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 12-01-2003, 09:41 AM
VERTAGO
Melting Slicks

Location: OBSESSED is the word lazy people use to describe those who are DEDICATED TN
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession (jim482)

No case to date of moditopiea has ever been cured.
Did you hear that KAREN?!!!!!! :eek: :D :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 12-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Topless
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Excellent story Jim. I really wish I could have made the trip with you.

Now that I have the time to go, the damn tours have been stopped. :mad :mad :mad

[Modified by Topless, 3:21 PM 12/1/2003]
Old 12-01-2003, 06:32 PM
MrWhan
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession (Topless)

GottahaveAnotheroneitis

I have the cure :cry

Old 12-01-2003, 09:07 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession (98Pace97Coupe)

GottahaveAnotheroneitis

I have the cure :cry

Isn't that a rogue strand of Whileyouratititis? :hat

[Modified by e3pres, 9:09 PM 12/1/2003]
Old 12-01-2003, 09:17 PM
huffyred00
Instructor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession (e3pres)

DREAMS DO COME TRUE at least some do.. Oh yeah Jim you must type fast.. It would have taken me 4 days to type that and that is IF my comp does not lock up... SEE YA :lol:
Old 12-01-2003, 09:53 PM
TennLee
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession (huffyred00)

:cheers: Great story Jim.

I alone possess immunity to this disease. I've done the cruises, I've been to the dragon countless times, and I've been to the NCM several times, including two Corvetteforum cruise-ins. I've driven many Corvettes- heck- I've raced in several Corvettes- drag and autocross. As of today I've been a member of Corvetteforum.com for 1300 days (3.5 years). Jim, I think I introduced you to the Dragon in a lowly four cylinder powered car occasionally with only three wheels touching the earth, and shortly thereafter you bought the Vette. Why don't I have a Corvette? Hard to say... I claim its because its more fun to drive other peoples cars, but maybe there's a darker reason. Maybe a snake bit me or something. I did bleed while building the Ford. :rolleyes: Oh well, a Chevy does make sure I get to work and back every day!

[Modified by TennLee, 9:06 PM 12/1/2003]
Old 12-01-2003, 11:16 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

GottahaveAnotheritis?????

yipes, i need to be looking for that cure or another source of income! :eek: :lol:
Old 12-01-2003, 11:53 PM
trogdor
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession (oyealiz)

i figure in about 3 years i could have a c6... possibly be my first new car... we will see :spam
Old 12-02-2003, 02:03 PM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Default Re: (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession (TennLee)

:cheers: Great story Jim.

I alone possess immunity to this disease.

Maybe a snake bit me or something. I did bleed while building the Ford. :rolleyes: Oh well, a Chevy does make sure I get to work and back every day!

]

TennLee beware..there is such a thing as Anti Venom for bad SNAKE BITES

Never your wildest dreams do you think you will own a Corvette. Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS knows no boundaries....just thing you already have the influx of Chevy. Sitting in your driveway is a beast with the Heart of Lion....Heart today...Fiberglass tomorrow.....

Dr. Evil Voice on.

MUHWAHAAHAHAHAHAH
MUHWAHAAHAHAHAHAH

Dr. Evil Voice off
Old 12-02-2003, 06:09 PM
The Exception
Burning Brakes

ETCC Ms.Corvette
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Jim, that was a great story. I think you should seriously think about submitting for publication. You write a story in such an interesting and entertaining way. Keep writing! :yesnod:
Old 12-02-2003, 08:17 PM
noelc5
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession (The Exception)

:thumbs: Jim

Man that was a fun trip. It's going in my 'vette' book and hopefully someday will be in my vette room or atleast on a wall.

I wish we could've gone again last tuesday and wednesday!

:seeya
Noel
Old 12-02-2003, 10:58 PM
VERTAGO
Melting Slicks

Location: OBSESSED is the word lazy people use to describe those who are DEDICATED TN
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession (The Exception)

Jim, that was a great story. I think you should seriously think about submitting for publication. You write a story in such an interesting and entertaining way. Keep writing! :yesnod:
Yeah Jim, why don't you write a story about The EXCEPTION? Now THAT would be an entertaining one!!!!! :eek: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :jester
Old 12-04-2003, 08:32 AM
CBall
Burning Brakes

:cheers:

Jim, nice story!!!! I agree 100%!!!!

...man, it feels good to post again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yesnod:
Old 12-04-2003, 08:38 AM
VERTAGO
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession (CBall)

Hey Charlie.... :cuss WHERE YOU BEEN?!!! Hope all's well...been missing y'all!!! :thumbs: Glad you're back posting again! Now you just have JOIN US on some get-togethers!!!

A.K.A :party: :party: :party:
Old 12-04-2003, 08:42 AM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Charlie,
Good to see you posting again.... :thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing you and Martina at an event soon...... :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 12-04-2003, 08:53 AM
CBall
Burning Brakes

Charlie,
Good to see you posting again.... :thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing you and Martina at an event soon...... :yesnod: :yesnod:
Me too!!! :yesnod:
I miss everybody and the events. Seems like all I do anymore is work... :crazy:
The only thing I've really been able to do with the Vette lately is wax it... I still have passion and spirit...but lack the time here lately....

[Modified by CBall, 8:26 AM 12/4/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession

Old 12-04-2003, 09:06 AM
jim482
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

. Seems like all I do anymore is work... :crazy:
The only thing I've really been able to do with the Vette lately is wax it... I still have passion and spirit...but lack the time here lately....
well that is the common denominator in all of our lives...WORK

Spirit and passion are great attributes..They lead to multiple Corvette ownership..... :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
Old 12-04-2003, 09:17 AM
CBall
Burning Brakes

Spirit and passion are great attributes..They lead to multiple Corvette ownership..... :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: [/QUOTE]

Now THAT's what I'm talkin about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yesnod: :yesnod:

.......soon, I hope.... :confused:

[Modified by CBall, 8:22 AM 12/4/2003]
Old 12-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Dark Knight
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Jim, you really should give up your day job. It's a shame when talent isn't pursued fully. Unlike most of what you will read from me; I am being very serious.

Quick Reply: (SMC) Gotta Have A Corvette-I-TIS a true obsession