Portland OR. vs Vancouver WA.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 03:48 PM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Portland OR. vs Vancouver WA.

Hi All,
My wife wants to move to the Portlanfd area where her folks and siblings live.

We are leaning toward the Vancouver side since neither of us comute and there is no personal state income tax and property tax I'm told is lower.

Does anyone have an opinion or a factoid that wieghs one against the other?
State laws ?
Which has more lienient smog laws?
If I buy a car in Or, how long before I can register it in Wa without having taxes due?

Thanks
Evan
Old 01-27-2005, 07:15 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Both cities have their good points as well as bad. Portland is a great city but it's spread out over miles. Vancouver is not as big but it can be difficult to get into Portland as there are really only two main roads, I-5 in Vancouver and I-205 just east of Vancouver. Both freeways get pretty crowded during the commute hour.

WA residents pay sales taxes on purchases, but there is no state income tax. OR has an income tax but no sales tax. If you work in OR and live in WA, I believe you still pay OR income taxes. But if you live in WA, you can shop in OR and pay no sales taxes.

Vehicle license fees are inexpensive and you can find emissions info here:

OR http://www.deq.state.or.us/aq/vip/whatstested.htm
WA http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/c...tive_pages.htm
Both Portland and Vancouver requires emissions testing.

To register a car in WA that you purchased elsewhere, I believe you have 30 days to register it in WA. You will have to pay a "Use Tax" equal to the sales tax rate based on the purchase price or the value of the car. The WA DOL does check vehicle values to insure they collect the right fees. License plates are $30 per year but certain cities can add on fees for rapid transit taxes and others. Seattle residents pay over $100 per year while I live 60 miles to the south and pay $33.50.

There are a number of Corvette clubs in the area, Rose City Corvettes www.rosecitycorvettes.org in Portland is the largest and Mount Hood Corvettes www.mthoodcorvettes.com is the newest. Both clubs have great people and fun clubs to be involved with.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 01-27-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Corvettj
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vancouver

My Vote Vancouver, lived in both places, and now live in vancouver, better all around,

JC
Old 02-01-2005, 01:08 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

JC,
If I move to Vancouver, WA. will you be my Vette Buddy?
(I'll be there late this week to look at houses in Vancouver and Camus, and I set up some interviews for while I'm there.)

Thanks
Evan
Old 02-01-2005, 02:38 AM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

Vancouver side 4 sure!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:35 AM
C4Fanatic
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just up there for a 2 week project in our Portland division. I stayed in Vancouver. One weekend we got an ice storm, nearly shut down Portland after I got down there that morning. When I drove back up to Vancouver that evening, no ice, hardly any wind blowing, looked like it had rained a little. It seems like Portland catches the brunt of everything that comes down the gorge along the Columbia river. I noticed that when I crossed the bridge and got into Vancouver the temperature was about 5-8 degrees warmer than in Portland and the winds were calmer. I would definitely say Vancouver just based on the climate differences, even though the two just sit across the river from each other, it's just amazing the difference. Good luck on your move.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Corvettj
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evan

I live right on the Vancouver, Camas border, Fisher Landing area, great area, has everything you could want and more.

What year vette do you have?

JC
Old 02-02-2005, 05:18 PM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

I sold my '74, 454 4spd coupe (4"Hooker sidepipes), last summer and now I only have <--- the '88 racecar trailer queen and a Street '99 Z28 vert M6

http://community.webshots.com/user/wavslav

Get notified of new replies

To Portland OR. vs Vancouver WA.

Quick Reply: Portland OR. vs Vancouver WA.