Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default So that's why they ban fireworks

Speaking of California and fireworks...

From the morning news
article
From the Los Angeles Times

THE SOUTHLAND

Numerous Small Blazes Keep Firefighters Busy

Most were probably ignited by holiday use of illegal fireworks, authorities say.

By Greg Krikorian
Times Staff Writer

July 5, 2005

Firefighters responded to dozens of small brush, grass and tree fires throughout Los Angeles County on Monday with many of the blazes likely to be blamed on Fourth of July celebrations involving illegal fireworks, authorities said.

The largest of the fires occurred in the West Hills area of the San Fernando Valley where a 6 p.m. blaze blackened about five acres southwest of Valley Circle and Roscoe boulevards.

Los Angeles City Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said more than 100 firefighters and four helicopters put out the blaze in one hour.

Though the fire briefly threatened several homes, no one was injured and no structures were damaged, he said.

The cause of the fire was under investigation, though residents reported fireworks being set off in the area before the blaze began, Humphrey said.

Less than 20 minutes after that fire was extinguished, Los Angeles city firefighters responded to a brush fire in the 2100 block of North Soto Street in Lincoln Heights, Humphrey said. That fire consumed four acres before it was put out in about 30 minutes. Witnesses reported seeing fireworks in the area before the blaze began, he said.

Before sundown, Humphrey said, city firefighters responded to at least a dozen other vegetation and rubbish fires of questionable origin.

And though some may have been caused by fireworks, the official causes will not be known until investigations are completed, he said.

About 9 p.m., burning embers from a fireworks show at the Starlight Bowl in Burbank ignited a series of small spot fires in nearby brush along Lockheed View Drive.

Burbank Fire Capt. Ron Bell said the fires were quickly extinguished. The area had been watered down for two weeks in anticipation of the fireworks display.

The small fires caused no injuries or damage to structures but did delay the departure of spectators.

Los Angeles County firefighters also were kept busy with expectations that they would respond to about 2,400 calls, or about three times the number of fires and other emergencies they normally handle in a 24-hour period, Capt. Mark Savage said.

"It's pretty typical for the Fourth of July," Savage said. "We are seeing many more grass fires, tree fires. We have had some structure fires."

The largest of the fires county firefighters responded to Monday consumed about two acres of brush in the Antelope Valley, Savage said.

"We'll see after all the reports come in, how many are related to fireworks," he said. "But we typically are much busier … and we normally have some injuries related to fireworks. I would imagine that this year will be no different than the rest."
Copyright © 2005, The Los Angeles Times
Old 07-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Tru_Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a brush fire driving home yesterday on I-5 near Seattle, it was that big though, but those things spread fast.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:35 PM
TOPGUN9
Drifting

Too bad that it only takes a few idiots to spoil everyone's fun, and cause a serious safety threat to all. We live in the hills, and fortunately, everyone in our area used common sense and didn't do fireworks.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:01 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

When we were kids, we fired off the Safe and Sane Fireworks in the street at night time. I dont recall anyone getting hurt doing that. I do remember a friend of mine shooting off bottle rockets and having one land on his next door neighbors roof. When the roof caught fire the occupants had no Idea it was a blaze! That house burned real good until the fire department showed up. I saw the entire thing from beginning to end and it taught me a valuable lesson. Dont play around with things like that!!

VR
Old 07-05-2005, 10:29 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here were I live/work, I have never seen or heard so many illegal fireworks. It's getting worse every year. Damn homeland security act
Old 07-06-2005, 02:27 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Up in the desert where you live you can get way more stuff than down here in the LA area. So you see why it is so easy for everyone to get the stuff.

They figure if you are in AV there is nothing to burn down!
Old 07-09-2005, 02:28 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I drove through Santa Maria on my way back down south on the 4th. It was like a war zone. A 'bomb' went off right next to my truck while doing 90mph. The sky was full of smoke. Crazy mexicans. They had the big'uns too, stuff you usually only see in a professional show.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used fireworks here and in NY, since I was a little kid. Now 50 and never hurt or burned anything.

Here in Cali, two kids with fireworks, last year, accidently set a fire, that destroyed a house. The kids were caught and went unpunished. The town(Santa Rosa) then banned all sales of fireworks.

Typicla Cali response, make everyone suffer for the misdeeds of a few and go easy on the guilty.

God Bless America!

Get notified of new replies

To So that's why they ban fireworks

Quick Reply: So that's why they ban fireworks