Key Fob - What a GM bad joke!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Fob - What a GM bad joke!

Well here's the story about the KEY FOB

About 3 months ago I was installing a GM Racing spoiler for a friend on his 2007 Z06 - he ask me to look at his mild to wild switch - no big deal - well after we were done -the car wouldn't start - DIC said NO KEY FOB DETECTED - OK - used the emergency door open to get in the car - thank god the window was down.

Figuring that the mild to wild had something to do with the new issue I removed it and the car started - OK So we figured it was the mild to wild and he drove home and sent it back and got another one - no issues since.

ON that car anyway!

Well after my friend left - my 2008 Z06 won't start - same DIC code - NO KEY FOB DETECTED - OK - I do have a mild to wild on the car but hadn't done any work on the car - got a hold of GM and they told me that there had to be some sort of electrical interference - OK - went back out to the car and it started no issues. Whatever!

Now the new story - I hadn' thought about it for the last 3 months - than after returning home tonite i shut the car off and bells and warning lights went off - after engine was shut down - door was also open the asscessories were still on - shut them with the switch - DIC displayed NO KEY FOB DECTECTED - OK

Called Fred PC and he read some of the issues posted before - all seem to relate to some sort of electrical interference as GM had stated - some of these being - garage door openers - power lines - TV antennas - cell phones - I-pod remotes - what ever else electrical you can put in your car.

I also replaced the battries in the FOB. Also thought about disconnecting the battery as a last resort.

This was my fix - went back out to the car and took the mild to wild switch and garage door opener out of the car - I keep both of this in the cup holder - come to find out the one of the transmitters for the key fob is located next to the airconditioning ducts -

Well my mild to wild switch red light was on and after pushing it off - I pushed the cars key fob and lights came on and car stated with out any issues. I have no idea why or how the mild to wild switch stayed on - it never has.

Just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Joe aka - KODAK; 10-08-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Black02LS1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the mild to wild switch? This is also one of the reasons I love the C5..lol
Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It is for a C6, usually a Z06 or any C6 with the bimodal exhaust. It allows you to manually control the opening of the exhaust from inside the car with a remote switch
Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
Well here's the story about the KEY FOB

About 3 months ago I was installing a GM Racing spoiler for a friend on his 2007 Z06 - he ask me to look at his mild to wild switch - no big deal - well after we were done -the car wouldn't start - DIC said NO KEY FOB DETECTED - OK - used the emergency door open to get in the car - thank god the window was down.

Figuring that the mild to wild had something to do with the new issue I removed it and the car started - OK So we figured it was the mild to wild and he drove home and sent it back and got another one - no issues since.

ON that car anyway!

Well after my friend left - my 2008 Z06 won't start - same DIC code - NO KEY FOB DETECTED - OK - I do have a mild to wild on the car but hadn't done any work on the car - got a hold of GM and they told me that there had to be some sort of electrical interference - OK - went back out to the car and it started no issues. Whatever!

Now the new story - I hadn' thought about it for the last 3 months - than after returning home tonite i shut the car off and bells and warning lights went off - after engine was shut down - door was also open the asscessories were still on - shut them with the switch - DIC displayed NO KEY FOB DECTECTED - OK

Called Fred PC and he read some of the issues posted before - all seem to relate to some sort of electrical interference as GM had stated - some of these being - garage door openers - power lines - TV antennas - cell phones - I-pod remotes - what ever else electrical you can put in your car.

I also replaced the battries in the FOB. Also thought about disconnecting the battery as a last resort.

This was my fix - went back out to the car and took the mild to wild switch and garage door opener out of the car - I keep both of this in the cup holder - come to find out the one of the transmitters for the key fob is located next to the airconditioning ducts -

Well my mild to wild switch red light was on and after pushing it off - I pushed the cars key fob and lights came on and car stated with out any issues. I have no idea why or how the mild to wild switch stayed on - it never has.

Just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interference is right I had the same issue while refueling at a 76 station near spring mountain. I had to use my key to get into vehicle via trunk lock, pretty so I just stay out of 76 stations something to do with their automated pump frequency and my fob, it's all a mystery.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:50 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Joe, That has happened to me but it had nothing to do with my M2W transmitter. I just pushed the START button a few more times and it fired up. I always keep the transmitter in my ash tray.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

If you have a problem stick your key in the glovebox and the car will start. Ryne usallly has to do that twice a week on some of the C6's. I think it is a battery issue of some sort!

Last edited by Wicked C5; 10-08-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Jedsvet
Pro

similar problem in Sweden:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...roblem-c6.html
Old 10-08-2009, 03:48 PM
degaux
Drifting

....too bad the vette fob doesn't work like the one in my MINI... it carries all of the settings for the car, but you insert it into the dash bring it to 'life'.. no batteries - I was told it was "charged" when the car was running...

...when the car goes in for service the rep inserts the key into a reader and gets all of the necessary info... vin, name, address, mileage, etc
Old 10-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by degaux
....too bad the vette fob doesn't work like the one in my MINI... it carries all of the settings for the car, but you insert it into the dash bring it to 'life'.. no batteries - I was told it was "charged" when the car was running...

...when the car goes in for service the rep inserts the key into a reader and gets all of the necessary info... vin, name, address, mileage, etc
Very nice! To bad GM is to stupid to improve things - do what the customer asks - or copy what works!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 PM
rwilsonfcsd
1st Gear

Default no key god id

read all of the other posts on here and nothing worked. finally remembered that i had a slow leak on the l/r tire. put air in it and the car started. hop this may help you out it did for me after stressing for 4 hrs with the car immobole
Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Cloaked
Interference is right I had the same issue while refueling at a 76 station near spring mountain. I had to use my key to get into vehicle via trunk lock, pretty so I just stay out of 76 stations something to do with their automated pump frequency and my fob, it's all a mystery.
A group of us were parked by the 76 station off I15 & Hidden Valley in Corona when I tried to pop the trunk on my C5 and the FOB didn't work. O.K., so I thought "o crap, the fob battery died", then one of the other guys said his fob wasn't working (C6), Joe tried his and no workie so there we were about 5 of us with inoperable fobs, at which point we figured it may have something to do with interference from the 76 station. All fobs were working fine after we left.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:16 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfred
A group of us were parked by the 76 station off I15 & Hidden Valley in Corona when I tried to pop the trunk on my C5 and the FOB didn't work. O.K., so I thought "o crap, the fob battery died", then one of the other guys said his fob wasn't working (C6), Joe tried his and no workie so there we were about 5 of us with inoperable fobs, at which point we figured it may have something to do with interference from the 76 station. All fobs were working fine after we left.
Good to know.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 AM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great heads up
Old 12-01-2009, 02:44 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfred
That is when my FOB wasn't working either Fred. I think when Joe's M2W Fob was stuck and our cars were nearby, our cars FOBS were getting the interference too. Since Joe found the problem we should all be fine now!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Amazing how an owner mods a car and then calls the manufacturer "stupid...."
Old 12-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NORTY
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the intent of this thread was to inform people of an issue with the car that many have had - stock or moded WHO THE *** CARES - The FOB issue has nothing to do with the car being moded - 2 of the other cars that had the same problem are stock - there is an electrical issue with the FOB that seems to occur when around other electrical items - cell phone - garage door opener - etc...STOCKER DUDE

And yes - I still think GM is STUPID - considering the assests / technology / experience / people power they have - this shouldn't be an issue - maybe I should have chosen a better word! Can't think of one right now so we'll stick to Stupid It's only an opinion based on the product!!!!!!!!!!!

What's really amazing is how someone buys a Corvette - any car for that matter - and doesn't know what soap and water are for - if you don't like my verbiage - go wash your car!

Last edited by Joe aka - KODAK; 12-01-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:43 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the intent of this thread was to inform people of an issue with the car that many have had - stock or moded WHO THE *** CARES - The FOB issue has nothing to do with the car being moded - 2 of the other cars that had the same problem are stock - there is an electrical issue with the FOB that seems to occur when around other electrical items - cell phone - garage door opener - etc...STOCKER DUDE

And yes - I still think GM is STUPID - considering the assests / technology / experience / people power they have - this shouldn't be an issue - maybe I should have chosen a better word! Can't think of one right now so we'll stick to Stupid It's only an opinion based on the product!!!!!!!!!!!

What's really amazing is how someone buys a Corvette - any car for that matter - and doesn't know what soap and water are for - if you don't like my verbiage - go wash your car!
You may want to bone up on EMI and RF transmission before you run off at the what ever. The receiver is sensitive to an RF signature so it can be effective at all positions of the car. It's the EMI errors in the surrounding areas that over drive the front end of the receiver. Those EMI errors are the responsibility of the transmitter and the poor design of their RF transmitters spewing out all kinds of spurious signals that should not be there. The acronym EMI stands for Electromagnetic Interference.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Fob - What a GM bad joke!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimman
You may want to bone up on EMI and RF transmission before you run off at the what ever. The receiver is sensitive to an RF signature so it can be effective at all positions of the car. It's the EMI errors in the surrounding areas that over drive the front end of the receiver. Those EMI errors are the responsibility of the transmitter and the poor design of their RF transmitters spewing out all kinds of spurious signals that should not be there. The acronym EMI stands for Electromagnetic Interference.
That makes sense and is there a Cure? Fix? Get around it? Something other then just understanding it - what it sounds like is that the FOB just has a design issue that we have to learn to live with it? The thing that sucks is that you never know when it is going to do what it does - it seems pretty common though.

Last edited by Joe aka - KODAK; 12-01-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:22 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by NORTY
Uh oh
Old 12-01-2009, 08:26 PM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've had the no fob detected message appear before when I tried to turn my vette off. Started the vette back up and then turned it off and the message didn't come up again. My vette does have a dual mode exhaust but I don't have M2W installed on it so it was EMI from somewhere but I have no clue where the EMI was coming from.

Quick Reply: Key Fob - What a GM bad joke!