Southern California Southern California

So Cal crew: Racing at CA Speedway this weekend

Old 01-21-2011, 02:24 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default So Cal crew: Racing at CA Speedway this weekend

Come support your local racers!! I'll be racing (as well as a few other members here including Oli, Bill..redtopz, Dr. Roy B, and more) this weekend at CA Speedway (AutoClub Speedway) on the ROVAL (we use NASCAR turn 1 and 2 and then drop into the infield). There will be up to 8 Corvettes running this weekend in our T1 class and around 25 cars on track at once with us. This is a great spectator track with lots to see and the faster cars will be seeing 150+ entering the oval section off the straight away! There's always some great racing action at this track with guys pulling huge drafts off the oval and multiple 120+ sections made for great passing opportunities!

Come check out the races if you're looking for something to do!

The schedule is here: http://www.calclub.com/html/html2/ar...3-Schedule.pdf

Scroll to page 2, we will be running in groups R6 and N3 on Saturday as well as N3 on Sunday...I'm undecided right now for running R6 on Sunday but others will be.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's 1 pm on Sunday right? if so I'll come out to support you guys that's only because I don't on a race car to run with the big dogs
Old 01-21-2011, 03:57 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Correct. The 2nd T1 Regional will be at 1pm Sunday
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Wish I was racin'

Expect the biggest T1 field in Sunday morning's (9:30 start) National race.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Good luck you guys and please post up some video

DH
Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be out at the track on Saturday passing out some flyers to the drivers about my video services. I can do a four HD camera video of your race that is very well edited for a reasonable price. Please contact me at: kent_elliott@canyonrunvideos.com.

Kent
Old 01-22-2011, 09:21 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

With one hickup in the Regional race that caused me to come in early, I put the CMS T1 car on the pole for tomorrows big race with 5 running in our class! One of them being a professional level driver, another retired professional, and of course Oli and Roy who everyone knows have had successful club racing careers and are both very fast...in fact, Oli owns the track record here!

Come out and watch some great racing at 9:30 tomorrow morning!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:07 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Very well done, Chris. Good luck tomorrow. Hope everyone finishes without incident.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Chris smoked us all in qualifying.

I am next in line, but a huge .7 behind him. Roy is only 0.015 behind me, Kahn 0.010 behind Roy and then Kyle 0.030 behind Kahn.

It should be close, fast and exciting racing in N3 tomorrow at 9:30 AM at ACS.

Oli
Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Good luck guys, sorry I couldn't stay to watch the race but family comes first . I'll work on getting a national license so I can join you in the future. I want to thank Oli for answering so many questions and helping me through my first SCCA regional race and first time at ACS. He even bought me dinner! Very nice. Also great to meet Brent Hicks and his wife and friends. Super nice people and I'm looking forward to seeing him on the track in his Tracy T1 car. Chris is the young gun out there and is getting very fast. There should be a penalty for being in your 20's . I didn't get to meet as many T1 racers as I'd hoped but the ones I did meet were great guys and excellent drivers.

Bill.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:52 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Good luck out there Guys!!!

JB
Old 01-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Race Results

Chris had pole. Oli got the jump at the start and was clear of Chris at the entrance to turn 1&2 (the banking - NASCAR 1 & 2), but Chris remained aggressive and got back alongside on the run to 3 & 4 and beat him into and through those turns, a left/right off the oval to the infield section.

After a couple of laps Chris had a braking problem going into 3 (the left off the oval) and overshot the corner (went straight on the oval.) Oli was on his outside, but no contact. Oli took the lead.

Kyle would later get by Oli going into the banking.

Roy later got Oli for 2nd place.

With 2 laps to go Kyle got held up in the decreasing radius turn, losing 2-3 seconds, and Roy was then only about a second back, but could not get close enough to make a move.

So it seemed settled that it was to be Kyle, Roy, Oli, Bob, and Chris. Bob had other ideas. He had been going to school on these guys on the banking and was no longer losing ground there. He was right on Oli going into the several turn complex leading onto the front straight. He drafted then moved down low to get the shorter run to the finish...and came up along side Oli, but just 0.001 short!

Finishing order: Kyle, Roy, Oli, Bob, and Chris.

Chris had gotten back on track after the turn 3 problem (you have to make a u-turn on the oval, go back, and then a right thru turn 3.) So with everyone running very close laps (in the 1:48/49 range), he could not make up the more than 15 second deficit he suffered.

Great fun to watch! Nice clean racing.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed that race but raced all the way to the track for the 1pm event and there were no Corvette I asked a man wearing corvette attire what happened to the Corvettes, he told me that everyone of the Corvette drivers decided to call it a day after the morning race. Hopefully someone will post a video.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Chris had pole. Oli got the jump at the start and was clear of Chris at the entrance to turn 1&2 (the banking - NASCAR 1 & 2), but Chris remained aggressive and got back alongside on the run to 3 & 4 and beat him into and through those turns, a left/right off the oval to the infield section.

After a couple of laps Chris had a braking problem going into 3 (the left off the oval) and overshot the corner (went straight on the oval.) Oli was on his outside, but no contact. Oli took the lead.

Kyle would later get by Oli going into the banking.

Roy later got Oli for 2nd place.

With 2 laps to go Kyle got held up in the decreasing radius turn, losing 2-3 seconds, and Roy was then only about a second back, but could not get close enough to make a move.

So it seemed settled that it was to be Kyle, Roy, Oli, Bob, and Chris. Bob had other ideas. He had been going to school on these guys on the banking and was no longer losing ground there. He was right on Oli going into the several turn complex leading onto the front straight. He drafted then moved down low to get the shorter run to the finish...and came up along side Oli, but just 0.001 short!

Finishing order: Kyle, Roy, Oli, Bob, and Chris.

Chris had gotten back on track after the turn 3 problem (you have to make a u-turn on the oval, go back, and then a right thru turn 3.) So with everyone running very close laps (in the 1:48/49 range), he could not make up the more than 15 second deficit he suffered.

Great fun to watch! Nice clean racing.
Waiting for the Video ..... sounds like another great race.

Chris .... I feel for you. I did the same thing recently

DH
Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
He was right on Oli going into the several turn complex leading onto the front straight. He drafted then moved down low to get the shorter run to the finish...and came up along side Oli, but just 0.001 short!
That's about 2 inches if they were going around 125 mph according to my calcs . I guess you want to put your transponder as far forward as possible. Sounds like a nice close race.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redtopz
That's about 2 inches if they were going around 125 mph according to my calcs . I guess you want to put your transponder as far forward as possible. Sounds like a nice close race.
Yup! It was only 2.1 inches difference between me and Bob Kahn crossing the finish line for third.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Chris had the fast lap of the race, but circumstances conspired to keep him from the win. This racing stuff is funny. It never turns out as expected....

Get notified of new replies

To So Cal crew: Racing at CA Speedway this weekend

Old 01-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Threshold
I missed that race but raced all the way to the track for the 1pm event and there were no Corvette I asked a man wearing corvette attire what happened to the Corvettes, he told me that everyone of the Corvette drivers decided to call it a day after the morning race. Hopefully someone will post a video.
Yeah, after a good national race our cars and the drivers were spent. We wussed out, loaded up and went to lunch. Brent, Paul, steve, Rob and I went to Burger Town. I had a good bacon cheeseburger and fries.

Sorry we we're not there to see you. WSIR next month should have even more Corvettes and more position changes.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Fun weekend, but pretty disappointing results for myself and it all started with the botched start. I did not get any data or video as both of my separate systems are conspiring against me. Lots of work to get done on the car between now and WSIR next month.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Fun weekend, but pretty disappointing results for myself and it all started with the botched start. I did not get any data or video as both of my separate systems are conspiring against me. Lots of work to get done on the car between now and WSIR next month.
Oli says you had the fastest time .... what was it ??

DH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So Cal crew: Racing at CA Speedway this weekend