Southern California Southern California

The Corvettes Are Racing at WSIR - SCCA Double National and Double Regional Feb. 25-2

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default The Corvettes Are Racing at WSIR - SCCA Double National and Double Regional Feb. 25-2

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contacts: Allan Coy, Ombudsman
avcoystoo@verizon.net

Ceci Smith, Office Manager
calclubhq@aol.com

Cal Club is returning to the Fastest Road in the West
Willow Springs Raceway, February 25th and 26th

Rosamond, CA – February 19, 2012 – The California Sports Car Club is heading out to the Fastest Road in the West for their annual visit to Willow Springs International Raceway in Rosamond just north of Lancaster. Cal Club had a spectacular start of the year with its January event at Auto Club Speedway, the Porterfield Brakes sponsored race weekend. More than 200 cars participated from across the west, even with the threat of weather that never happened. This momentum is expected to carry over to Willow Springs as this will be the first clash of the year pitting National drivers and Regional drivers in a combined event. The combination is called a “RATIONAL”.

There will be seventeen returning champions from 2011 vying to repeat their championships in 2012. TJ Acker, Spec Racer Ford from Saugus, Lee Alexander, D Sports Racer from Las Vegas, Mark Ballengee, Spec Racer Ford from Shafter, Arthur Beach, Spec Ford from Fillmore, Doug Brenner, Formula Ford from Fort Bragg, Steve Brown, Formula Mazda from Ontario, Mike Henderson, Grand Touring 3 from El Cajon, Mark Hoover, Super Touring Under from Shingle Springs, CA., Brian Husting, Showroom Stock C from Irvine, Jason Isley, H Production from Cota de Caza, Kyle Kelly, Touring 1 from Huntington Beach, James Kuhns, D Sports Racer from Encinidas, Mike Lewis, Grand Touring 1 from Poway, Lee Niffenegger, Showroom Stock B from Santa Clarita, Chris Qualls, American Sedan from Burbank, Don Simons, C Sports Racer from Glendale and Ron Wake, Formula V from Lafayette, CA.

This is the second year of the Rational format and it should continue to generate exciting racing, mingling an expectedly large field with an array of different types of race cars on this very challenging race course. This will be the second of 9 race weekends leading up to the annual Pacific Coast Road Racing Championships in October at Buttonwillow Raceway Park. The PCRR Championships invites drivers from all road racing organizations to get together once a year to see who is “The Best of the Best”.

Cal Club the builder of Buttonwillow Raceway Park located in Buttonwillow, California, a few miles west of Bakersfield, is a region of the Sports Car Club of America. Cal Club is in its 62nd year, has nearly 2,000 members offering competition programs in road racing, solo/autocross, time trials, and road rally. The Club has a rich history of producing some of the world’s most noted drivers and the best race volunteer workers the sport has ever seen.

###
Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

ALL OF THE REALLY FAST DRIVERS WILL BE AT AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY ON SUNDAY FEB 26 !!

2012 CORVETTE CHALLENGE by SPEED VENTURES

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...-feb-26-a.html

DH
Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Yeah, all the chickens who don't want their ACS times recorded will be hiding out at WSIR.

1:45 is the time to beat at ACS this weekend.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Chickens? Chickens? You guys calling for me? I'll be at WSIR!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current line-up, a nice mix of C5 and C6 Corvettes.

#29 Jim Tway
#22 Oli Thordarson
#35 Bob Kahn
#38 Chuck Mathews
#64 Ken Davis
#67 Bill Brinkop
#79 Kyle Kelley
#88 Carl Fung

30 minutes of door-to-door action, both Saturday and Sunday,, it should be a good show!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats to Chuck for 2 national wins, Oli for 2 2nd place finishes, and Kyle for the new T1 lap record at WSIR of 1:26.6! I had a great time racing with all these guys and was impressed with their speed at this scary fast track. Here is my qualifying lap video from Sunday. I was hoping to get a great lap following Oli, but was killed going into T9 by a honda fit at the end of the first hot lap. The 2nd lap in the vid I accidentally discovered I could take Turn 1 at a higher speed than I thought when my brake pedal went really stiff with abs activated and I didn't get the car slowed down as much as I thought I should. Turned out better in the end. Oli has some great racing video footage to post up and I will try to get some of my highlights (not many).

Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redtopz
Congrats to Chuck for 2 national wins, Oli for 2 2nd place finishes, and Kyle for the new T1 lap record at WSIR of 1:26.6! I had a great time racing with all these guys and was impressed with their speed at this scary fast track. Here is my qualifying lap video from Sunday. I was hoping to get a great lap following Oli, but was killed going into T9 by a honda fit at the end of the first hot lap. The 2nd lap in the vid I accidentally discovered I could take Turn 1 at a higher speed than I thought when my brake pedal went really stiff with abs activated and I didn't get the car slowed down as much as I thought I should. Turned out better in the end. Oli has some great racing video footage to post up and I will try to get some of my highlights (not many).

Nice line Bill. You used all of the track. Thats 5 seconds better than my PB there

That H car screwed you up big time. That thing looks like it should be selling ice cream cones in the paddock

DH
Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

That was a great run Bill. You did fantastic your first weekend racing at WSIR. You learned that track quickly. Another couple of races and everyone is going to be stepping down a couple steps on the podium.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 AM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olitho
Yeah, all the chickens who don't want their ACS times recorded will be hiding out at WSIR.

1:45 is the time to beat at ACS this weekend.
No problem here. Now a 1:44 is the time to beat

You guys are HAULING around WSIR!

Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 02-28-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

That was a great run Bill. You did fantastic your first weekend racing at WSIR. You learned that track quickly. Another couple of races and everyone is going to be stepping down a couple steps on the podium.
Indeed! Nice work, Bill. A wise man once said to me, "Willow is an easy track to learn, but a hard track to master." Okay, so it was not a wise man, just Oli. Nonetheless, a wise statement!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Indeed! Nice work, Bill. A wise man once said to me, "Willow is an easy track to learn, but a hard track to master." Okay, so it was not a wise man, just Oli. Nonetheless, a wise statement!
Hahahaaha !!

Steve, my rear hub/stud job is holding up great. I'm very **** now about how rotors/wheels are placed and lugs torqued

DH
Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 PM
MJM
Drifting

Nice driving by all.

Oli is really riding the wiggle through T2!

Matt
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MJM

Oli is really riding the wiggle through T2!

Matt

Hah! It was fun, but not fast.

That whole lapsreally sucked for me. Unplanned wiggling, oversteer, missed apexes, botched braking and more.

Both driver and tires were under temp and tires had not yet come up to pressure. I did an inadequate job warming up the old gal before trying to go out and drive her hard.

Oli
Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That whole lapsreally sucked for me. Unplanned wiggling, oversteer, missed apexes, botched braking and more.

Both driver and tires were under temp and tires had not yet come up to pressure. I did an inadequate job warming up the old gal before trying to go out and drive her hard.

Oli
Oli where is your race video it's always great to watch you wring the neck of your Corvette.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:54 AM
MJM
Drifting

Oli
BTW, I've printed out the GCR and will be going through it this weekend. Just about fallen off the fence.

Matt
Old 03-02-2012, 01:42 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Matt,

Oli and I are very close to you and Steve in Sandiego too. If you need a little push I'll be glad to help you.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Thanks, I knew I would get schooled down there by you guys, but I gave it my all. We have a great group of T1 racers and I'm lucky to have so many guys to learn from and compete with. It's cool how we all seem to be pushing eachother to get better as racers and that any one of us could end up on the podium on any given day.

Get notified of new replies

To The Corvettes Are Racing at WSIR - SCCA Double National and Double Regional Feb. 25-2

Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MJM
BTW, I've printed out the GCR and will be going through it this weekend. Just about fallen off the fence.

Matt
Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Matt,

Oli and I are very close to you and Steve in Sandiego too. If you need a little push I'll be glad to help you.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJM

Matt
Old 03-02-2012, 05:58 PM
MJM
Drifting

Well I read it but I can't find the part where I get a head start due to my LS1!

Right now I'm on the installment plan. Phase 1 will be safety parts installed, T1 kit, and just show up and learn this year. Phase 2 will be LS6 and Z06 tranny.

Quick Reply: The Corvettes Are Racing at WSIR - SCCA Double National and Double Regional Feb. 25-2