Southern California Southern California

Wsir track day: May 5 !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
I watched parts of them, but will watch them on the big screen later this week. The GoPro does do very good video. From the brief time you were behind me, it was clear that you were picking up on me primarily under braking (too much for me) and in the initial part of the corners. I also need to do a later more sustained apex in 1. I'll watch the training video again as I though I was doing what he said, but I couldn't get the power down as early as "my" apex was at the start of the reflectors and you were 20-30' later and it affects how the car goes over the "ridge" on exit.

I noticed in the 3rd session you were only 0.6 sec. up on me.

Are the times posed on the Extreme Speed web site?

Thanks
Dave

They will post times but I'm not sure when. You did great for first time on that track.

I watched the second session and verified that I did not get one clean lap. Still need to check session 3 !

DH
Old 05-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by doveboat
So was the cone the one that came off the white Mustang at the 16 min mark or so ?
I don't know who put the cone in the middle of the track. I just know that I am going to have to stop hitting them. Getting a flat tire at 100+ MPH is not cool ................

DH
Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by heypal
It was great meeting you all and thanks for all the help means a lot to me. Karn thats for letting me drive the beast lol. Depending when the corvettes running I might join you out there again. DH thanks for getting everything set up for a great event. I had a great time.
Jerry

Sorry for your crapy luck. Its more fun running your own car

And Karn's car is very mean

Hope you guys come out again real soon

DH
Old 05-07-2012, 05:26 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I don't know who put the cone in the middle of the track. I just know that I am going to have to stop hitting them. Getting a flat tire at 100+ MPH is not cool ................

DH

I managed to "thread the needle" the first time I came thru there and the cone was just about a car width spacing after the apex. I also missed it the next time when it was further out and up the track 50'+-. Having a high sight line helps pick up things like that in time to adjust.

I've got the street Bobcat pads and the PSS tires back on the car and all looks good.

I did check my EE catch can this morning and it was about 1/2 full, by far the most I've had in it. It's been several months since I empty'd it, but no other track days.

On the NT-05's I put just over 1000 miles (to and fro) and about 1hr 20 min. of track time on them this past weekend. Generally the wear was about 1/64th inch except the left front had closer to 1/32nd inch of wear
Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I managed to "thread the needle" the first time I came thru there and the cone was just about a car width spacing after the apex. I also missed it the next time when it was further out and up the track 50'+-. Having a high sight line helps pick up things like that in time to adjust.

I've got the street Bobcat pads and the PSS tires back on the car and all looks good.

I did check my EE catch can this morning and it was about 1/2 full, by far the most I've had in it. It's been several months since I empty'd it, but no other track days.

On the NT-05's I put just over 1000 miles (to and fro) and about 1hr 20 min. of track time on them this past weekend. Generally the wear was about 1/64th inch except the left front had closer to 1/32nd inch of wear
I need to check my catch can also...
Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Dave

I saw it the cone too. But on the third pass I decided to do some street cleaning. I figured I would just have ANOTHER little scuff mark on my clear bra. Didn't plan on getting a flat tire from it

DH
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sallen619
I need to check my catch can also...
I didn't have too much in my catch can. Must have been driving too easy

DH
Old 05-07-2012, 09:02 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I was good see you out there too Nate. Whats with the car. I don't remember you having any issues ???

DH
The car ran strong at the track but after I noticed the oil pressure got low. Driving home on the fwy it was at 20psi. It idled at 15psi and twice it fell to 8psi at idle. The next day the oil pressure was closer to normal on a cold startup and the engine sounded fine, no knock or extra noises. Dropped it off at the shop today, gonna let them trouble shoot it.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C5Natie
The car ran strong at the track but after I noticed the oil pressure got low. Driving home on the fwy it was at 20psi. It idled at 15psi and twice it fell to 8psi at idle. The next day the oil pressure was closer to normal on a cold startup and the engine sounded fine, no knock or extra noises. Dropped it off at the shop today, gonna let them trouble shoot it.
Were you checking your oil level at track. Did you notice your oil pressure at WOT when hot. What oil do you run and was it old?

Hopefully you just had some old 5w30 in there that lost some viscosity and that you let it run a little low.

Let us know what you find out .... good luck

DH
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 AM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=frank dupuy;1580746337]
Originally Posted by BLW BY

Steve I am not sure what issue you are talking about and I doubt you do either. I will be at the Corvette Challenge on June 2 but I doubt you will show. The last Challenge you attended was like two years ago. Also if I remember correct you tried to sneak into the stock class with your modified C6-Z06 and were found out and disqualified. I do hope you show up for the upcoming Challenge with your MODIFIED C6-Z06. I will be there with my MODIFIED C5-Z06. As to your veneration statement I only apply that to a person of high moral character and not to a C6-Z06.

Frank, Frank, Frank I'm glad to see that your vocabulary getting better because last September you used that word referring to the only C6Z on the cruise.
You forgot to mention why you told me to take it to the track back then.
Let me refresh your memory;

Frank stated that you have to go 120-130mph to keep up with me, on a street canyon road that he puts tires on it he bought for $5.00 from a bum.

I replied that he was freaking nuts.

Frank replied "take it to the track at the Corvette Challenge"

The next time I see him, at the track, I whack him by 2 seconds on street tires at the track. Go figure.

Could I drive 120-130mph on a mountain road----Sure if I was freaking nuts!

Frank, you want me to show up

BRING MONEY

Because the other day, the only thing I prep on the car is with the wrinkle wrap, otherwise it just the way I drive it every day.

NOW you

BRING MONEY

And I will prep it for the track and put a paste-waxing on you like you have never had-------It's worth the MONEY-------Put it on your 'Bucket List' once in a life time opportunity.

Veneration, my friend; maybe you woke a sleeping GIANT.LOL

BTW my street car is prepped better than most cars that go to the track;

IMAGINE what my track prep car will be!

Like taking candy from a baby.

BRING MONEY
Old 05-08-2012, 12:36 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Were you checking your oil level at track. Did you notice your oil pressure at WOT when hot. What oil do you run and was it old?

Hopefully you just had some old 5w30 in there that lost some viscosity and that you let it run a little low.

Let us know what you find out .... good luck

DH
At wot on the straight it started to dip under 50 and finally it was 38-40psi at 257* so I pulled out into the pits. I didnt lose any oil, level stayed perfect at a qt over the fill line and I could see it squirt the rockers pretty good even when it read low at idle. It was Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 with an extra qt of VR1 20w50 for the track day. Theres a chance too that I may have a faulty injector that washed down the oil with fuel causing it to break down at those high temps. I say that because I noticed a bit of knock on the data logger at idle or cruising here and there but it would go away as soon as I would give it gas. A faulty injector can cause a slight miss and knock retard if its failing at low cycles. Other than that the car feels and sounds great. At WSIR I let the car cool and the pressure would come back up so there is a chance the oil may have just broken down. Since I have forged rods, the clearences are a bit wider which wouldnt help the oil pressure. If I come out of this scotch free, fingers crossed, Im just gonna have them install a high volume Melling oil pump. I have the stocker right now.

Last edited by C5Natie; 05-08-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

At wot on the straight it started to dip under 50 and finally it was 38-40psi at 257* so I pulled out into the pits. I didnt lose any oil, level stayed perfect at a qt over the fill line and I could see it squirt the rockers pretty good even when it read low at idle. It was Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 with an extra qt of VR1 20w50 for the track day. Theres a chance too that I may have a faulty injector that washed down the oil with fuel causing it to break down at those high temps. I say that because I noticed a bit of knock on the data logger at idle or cruising here and there but it would go away as soon as I would give it gas. A faulty injector can cause a slight miss and knock retard if its failing at low cycles. Other than that the car feels and sounds great. At WSIR I let the car cool and the pressure would come back up so there is a chance the oil may have just broken down. Since I have forged rods, the clearences are a bit wider which wouldnt help the oil pressure. If I come out of this scotch free, fingers crossed, Im just gonna have them install a high volume Melling oil pump. I have the stocker right now.
If you have scotch free, at least two fingers, I'll be there
Old 05-08-2012, 12:44 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Also the car sat for a while before this last week. Ive had problems on my wifes suv where rodents chewed through the knock sensor wire and made a nest in the ac duct. So who knows if they got in the vette and knibbled on something giving me false readings. The motor sounds healthy, even my tuner said so when they drove the car off the flatbed this morning so right now I have no clue what can cause it, just a dozen possibilities.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

If you have scotch free, at least two fingers, I'll be there
If it aint a good outcome I'll have plenty of scotch and you can join me. Lol.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:50 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

If it aint a good outcome I'll have plenty of scotch and you can join me. Lol.
I do like scotch, but I hope you have a good outcome.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Nate

Those oil temps and pressures are GOOD for being on the track !!

Sounds like you have a good handle on whats going on.

DH
Old 05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks everyone for an awesome day on the track! It was great meeting all of you!

DH – Yes, I watched your videos. Since I never saw my car in them, I can expect to be exempt from the 50 point addition? When I got home, I realized that I have a sweet digital video camera. Never thought about putting it in the car. I just need to figure out a way to mount it. I guess there’s always duct tape

Looking forward to the event on the 2nd!

Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Wsir track day: May 5 !!!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Thanks everyone for an awesome day on the track! It was great meeting all of you!

DH – Yes, I watched your videos. Since I never saw my car in them, I can expect to be exempt from the 50 point addition? When I got home, I realized that I have a sweet digital video camera. Never thought about putting it in the car. I just need to figure out a way to mount it. I guess there’s always duct tape

Looking forward to the event on the 2nd!

Kevin
Kevin

I showed you the magic duct tape mount. I always got very good video that way. Just secure the seat so it doesn't move forward when you brake.

You are going to give the guys in STOCK class a lot of grief

DH
Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 PM
BlueFish81
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Karn

Did you happen to check your times during the session I instructed you?
Track out so you can use some of that power you have. Your car is a beast. With a little experience you will be tearing it up

Hitting cones and breaking valve stems don't count as misshaps

DH
The time was 1:55 I think. As soon as I get better breaks I will be out there getting more experiance on the track.

Karn
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kevin

I showed you the magic duct tape mount. I always got very good video that way. Just secure the seat so it doesn't move forward when you brake.

You are going to give the guys in STOCK class a lot of grief

DH
This unit is a little larger than the one we surgically duct tapped to my seat since it's an actual video camera vs a camera that can also take video. I'm hoping to have a harness bar installed before the next event. If that happens, I’m going to also try to get a video camera mount for the bar that will hold a larger sized video camera. Imagine being able to see yourself pass me in HD!

Looking forward to the stock class! Should be a blast!

Kevin

Quick Reply: Wsir track day: May 5 !!!