Southern California Southern California

Corvette Challenge Event#7 Download !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Corvette Challenge Event#7 Download !!

2012 CALCLUB CORVETTE CHALLENGE by SPEED VENTURES EVENT #7

BUTTON WILLOW RACE PARK

LUNCH IS PROVIDED FREE !!

USE THE LINK BELOW TO SEE THE SCHEDULE, REGISTER FOR AN EVENT, CLASS YOUR CAR AND SEE THE POINT STANDINGS!!
*Please note that points and classing have changed this year !!*
http://svc.speedventures.com/fly.asp...age&series=192

PHOTOS OF ALL CORVETTE CHALLENGE EVENTS CAN BE FOUND HERE !!!
http://www.augustdigital.com/cc/12/

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SUPPORT ALL OUR SPONSORS WHO MAKE THIS GREAT EXPERIENCE POSSIBLE

2012 CORVETTE CHALLENGE SPONSORS

ORGANIZATION SPONSORS
Speed Ventures - http://speedventures.com/
California Sports Car Club - http://www.calclub.com/

GOLD SPONSORS
Cunningham Motorsports - http://www.cunningham-motorsports.com
LG Motorsports - http://www.lgmotorsports.com/
Excelsior - http://excelsiormotorsports.com/
Finspeed - http://www.finspeed.com/

SILVER SPONSORS
B&M Racing/Hurst Shifters/Flowmaster - http://www.bmracing.com
Pfadt Racing - http://www.pfadtracing.com
Canyon Run Videos - http://www.canyonrunvideos.com/
RPM Motors - http://www.rpm-motors-inc.com/
Torco Race Fuel - http://www.jbsblownc5.net/products.html

Well it was a beautiful and warm day 95-105* (NO RAIN !!)

We had 18 Drivers !!!

I got a PB since I never ran this configuration before Going CCW made this a completely new track for all of us

No mishaps and everybody including Joel got to drive their cars home. Also it should be noted that Joel had the best fishtail/near off of his career

I got beat by the usual suspects in MODIFIED. Great driving Chris and Gary

Bill drove with me and gave me good advise on what gearing to use going into and out of the Bus Stop. Although, I was slower with him as a passenger I used his advise and shaved .6 off my previous session. This was the first time I have EVER got a faster time at the end of the day, especially when it was 30* hotter than the first session.

We decided on a new policy that will be in effect from now on except for the season final: All 4 sessions count but there will be no awards ceremony. Since many drivers leave early and others want to leave but feel they have to stay its usually a short and ill attended gathering. This way many drivers who are done don't have to wait of a solitary driver to get in his last session. Any awards or SV money winnings will be mailed or credited no attendance in necessary. Hopefully the results will posted expeditiously by SV. If you don't feel they are don't bitch here ...... call/email SV.

POST UP YOUR VIDEO !!!

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 09-23-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Joel

Well I was all set to post our video shoot first but ............

You are going to be pissed. My camera worked perfect in all 4 Red Sessions. But in the Black 3 that we ran together it just stopped after 1/2 lap I have no idea how that happened. Its never don't that before. I worked fine in the next RED session. Maybe Bill who was driving with me turned off the camera (I really doubt that). So really sorry but I did see your great save !!!

DH
Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well it was a beautiful and warm day 95-105* (NO RAIN !!)

We had 18 Drivers !!!

I got a PB since I never ran this configuration before Going CCW made this a completely new track for all of us

No mishaps and everybody including Joel got to drive their cars home. Also it should be noted that Joel had the best fishtail/near off of his career

I got beat by the usual suspects in MODIFIED. Great driving Chris and Gary

Bill drove with me and gave me good advise on what gearing to use going into and out of the Bus Stop. Although, I was slower with him as a passenger I used his advise and shaved .6 off my previous session. This was the first time I have EVER got a faster time at the end of the day, especially when it was 30* hotter than the first session.

We decided on a new policy that will be in effect from now on except for the season final: All 4 sessions count but there will be no awards ceremony. Since many drivers leave early and others want to leave but feel they have to stay its usually a short and ill attended gathering. This way many drivers who are done don't have to wait of a solitary driver to get in his last session. Any awards or SV money winnings will be mailed or credited no attendance in necessary. Hopefully the results will posted expeditiously by SV. If you don't feel they are don't bitch here ...... call/email SV.

POST UP YOUR VIDEO !!!

DH
Indeed a great day... but you'll have to ask Joel if he eventually did get home... I stopped to help him on the 5, go get some gas, and drive back to his car... I'll let him tell the rest!

My day was totally an educational day.. Unfortunately most of my groups' session were cut short by black flags... but no worries, I had fun regardless... Near days' end, I went out with LEO, which was a whole driving lesson in itself, man, he is so smooth and fast... definitely helped me apply some approaches to my laps...

Then after Bill went out with DH, he went out with me, and that was equally as great, but wasn't able to stay so late to practice all the things learned from both great drivers on another session, but I did get my best time of 2:21 with Bill in the car... I guess tho, most of us all got PB today!

I also enjoyed watching the RED group... Rob, you're nuts! You are SO screaming fast out there! Mike, I was loving watching you almost catch DH Peter, you win with 'deep braking' into T1... Gary, thanks for the tips... you're an inspiration as well...

Even though it was hot as hell, it was a very enjoyable day... I was just happy Frank got through the day without mechanical mishap!

Ed, where did you end up with lap times? I think I got close to you... and Matt wasn't far behind! Kevin was completely kicking ***! Dick, great to meet you and you're lovely lady.

DH, I STILL don't have a SHIRT!!!!!

Everyone was driving great... there are a some great drivers in the Challenge... cool to hang with you all!

See you all next at the STREETS Nov 3rd...

Dave

and PS--- DH... you're still setting the bar with NTO5's and (well now RELATIVELY stock) suspension... you are kicking *** my man!

Last edited by Evolution-ary; 09-23-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 AM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A good day today @ BWRP, my son Matt and I shared my C5 Z06 and had signed up in Green and Blue to have a gap in between sessions to swap out and give the car a short cool down. Well, when I checked in Aaron advised that I was in Red and that there was no Green ......

I enjoyed being in the mix in Red and supported the bottom grouping with a 2:20.00x as a best lap in Red 3. Matt did very well in Blue and was consistently being gridded in the top 5.

The C5Z did a great job serving double duty and ran 6 sessions with no cooling or any other issues in the hot temps.

Great turn out and driving across our broad range of CC participants. Kevin is the clear natural in the Stock class and is a pleasure to talk with and try and learn form his approach and passion.

Great comic relief with Stig (Mike Silver C6Z), you had me chuckling all day

Great coaching from the experienced folks, you know who you are and are great Stewards to folks like myself, Matt, Dave, Kevin, Dick, Serge.

Looking forward to ACS on Oct 6.

Ed
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Evolution-ary
Indeed a great day... but you'll have to ask Joel if he eventually did get home... I stopped to help him on the 5, go get some gas, and drive back to his car... I'll let him tell the rest!

My day was totally an educational day.. Unfortunately most of my groups' session were cut short by black flags... but no worries, I had fun regardless... Near days' end, I went out with LEO, which was a whole driving lesson in itself, man, he is so smooth and fast... definitely helped me apply some approaches to my laps...

Then after Bill went out with DH, he went out with me, and that was equally as great, but wasn't able to stay so late to practice all the things learned from both great drivers on another session, but I did get my best time of 2:21 with Bill in the car... I guess tho, most of us all got PB today!

I also enjoyed watching the RED group... Rob, you're nuts! You are SO screaming fast out there! Mike, I was loving watching you almost catch DH Peter, you win with 'deep braking' into T1... Gary, thanks for the tips... you're an inspiration as well...

Even though it was hot as hell, it was a very enjoyable day... I was just happy Frank got through the day without mechanical mishap!

Ed, where did you end up with lap times? I think I got close to you... and Matt wasn't far behind! Kevin was completely kicking ***! Dick, great to meet you and you're lovely lady.

DH, I STILL don't have a SHIRT!!!!!

Everyone was driving great... there are a some great drivers in the Challenge... cool to hang with you all!

See you all next at the STREETS Nov 3rd...

Dave

and PS--- DH... you're still setting the bar with NTO5's and (well now RELATIVELY stock) suspension... you are kicking *** my man!
I told you to get your shirt from Rob He has all the mediums and smalls. I need to get them from him so I have them all. Remind me so I can take care of this for you. Will get one for your daughter too

DH
Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Here is RED 4. Not too much action. Takes me a while to track down some crazy dude in a BMW. I get my PB 2:13.5x in 105* heat right after running the previous session in BLACK. I was tired but happy to know I was running faster in last session. I'm not sure about Chris but I know Gary couldn't catch me

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 09-24-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Here is RED 4. Not too much action. Takes me a while to track down some crazy dude in a BMW. I get my PB 1:13.5x in 105* heat right after running the previous session in BLACK. I was tired but happy to know I was running faster in last session. I'm not sure about Chris but I know Gary couldn't catch me

DH
I know you're fast DH, but I think you mean 2:13 ..

Last edited by Evolution-ary; 09-24-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

I told you to get your shirt from Rob He has all the mediums and smalls. I need to get them from him so I have them all. Remind me so I can take care of this for you. Will get one for your daughter too

DH
Yeah, I know... the heat had us all delirious ...

thanks, both Claire and I will love the shirt! One med and one large! Please!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Evolution-ary
I know you're fast DH, but I think you mean 2:13 ..

Fixed. Yes I meant 2:13.5x

DH
Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Here is RED#3

DH
Old 09-24-2012, 02:34 AM
serge928
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howie,

Thanks again for lending me Haws HPS+ pads. You saved my day AGAIN. My best time was a 2.16.6xx. Slowly getting used to the car. Blast of a day!

Good work on the 2.13.5! That's pretty impressive on well worn NT05s.

Last edited by serge928; 09-24-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by serge928
Howie,

Thanks again for lending me Haws HPS+ pads. You saved my day AGAIN. My best time was a 2.16.6xx. Slowly getting used to the car. Blast of a day!

Good work on the 2.13.5! That's pretty impressive on well worn NT05s.
Your welcome. They are HP PLUS pads.

I think your 2:16 is a lot more impressive than my 2:13 with your amount of experience

DH
Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Howie, that's great that you found more time in the last session. You are driving great, just a few places where you were losing time. Other than that, just stay smooth. A powerful and heavy car like our vettes can be a handful at Buttonwillow and being as smooth as possible increases overall grip. I haven't run a corvette challenge for about a year and I can tell everyone has improved their game out there.

Dave, I had a strong hunch that you set a PB toward the end of the session when I was riding with you . You started carrying more speed over Phil Hill and smoothing out your lines through cotton corners. Nice job! Probably would be 2 seconds faster than that without me in the car weighing you down. After riding with you and Howie those last 2 sessions I had some serious car sickness. I'm not used to riding shotgun!

My test day was a success and it was fun seeing everyone again. My clutch, diff, and improved cooling all worked well. I was on 20 heat cycle A6's which I've been racing on since April and they felt like street tires on that hot track, but I think my car feels pretty good otherwise. I'll find out next weekend at Sonoma on some fresh tires. Thanks to my sponsors LG Motorsports and RPM Transmission.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

What a great event!!! I like BW more and more each time I go. What a fun track!

It was both an honor and a privilege to hang out with and learn from you all! I got to park next to some real cool dudes and had almost as much fun off the track as I did on the track.

Joel – Looking forward to seeing that (almost) Caddy T-bone video you were telling me about.

Although Frank didn’t have (another) technical mishap, the corner workers were so used to it they flagged him anyway. I’ll let him tell the rest of the story…

See you at ACS!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Joel

Well I was all set to post our video shoot first but ............

You are going to be pissed. My camera worked perfect in all 4 Red Sessions. But in the Black 3 that we ran together it just stopped after 1/2 lap I have no idea how that happened. Its never don't that before. I worked fine in the next RED session. Maybe Bill who was driving with me turned off the camera (I really doubt that). So really sorry but I did see your great save !!!

DH
DH – You shouldn’t worry about it. I’m sure if Joel was “hypothetically” filming you at Big Willow and you did a pass on a Miata on turn 2 and his camera went dead, you would be very forgiving of him...
Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Someone left a sweatshirt on a chair in my "cabana".

Ed - Is this Matt's?

I can bring it to ACS if it's claimed:

Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Hercules Rockefeller
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a great time out there with all you guys, it was HOT HOT HOT, but still lots of fun. My car was running great; after spending the first couple of sessions learning the course I really started to get the hang of things. I know I could have held more speed through sunrise, sunset, phil hill and maybe the bus stop corners, but I did want to go home in one piece this time! I also wanted to apologize again to Bill for coming out in front of you on your hottest lap, I feel like I cheated you since you may very well have had the fastest time of the day if it hadn't been for me But I kept getting faster throughout the day, set my best time of 2:02.212 at the beginning of the 4th session (what was the temp then, 100+?!). I'm sure Bill and I both have gotten under 2:00 and taken down the track record if it wasn't for the insane heat. As a bonus, I also learned that my car can race in pretty much any temperature conditions now, the hottest my coolant ever got was 205 F!

Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 09-24-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Challenge Event#7 Download !!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Someone left a sweatshirt on a chair in my "cabana".

Ed - Is this Matt's?

I can bring it to ACS if it's claimed:

YES!!

Thanks for taking, will get from you @ ACS

Ed
Old 09-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redtopz
Howie, that's great that you found more time in the last session. You are driving great, just a few places where you were losing time. Other than that, just stay smooth. A powerful and heavy car like our vettes can be a handful at Buttonwillow and being as smooth as possible increases overall grip. I haven't run a corvette challenge for about a year and I can tell everyone has improved their game out there.

Dave, I had a strong hunch that you set a PB toward the end of the session when I was riding with you . You started carrying more speed over Phil Hill and smoothing out your lines through cotton corners. Nice job! Probably would be 2 seconds faster than that without me in the car weighing you down. After riding with you and Howie those last 2 sessions I had some serious car sickness. I'm not used to riding shotgun!

My test day was a success and it was fun seeing everyone again. My clutch, diff, and improved cooling all worked well. I was on 20 heat cycle A6's which I've been racing on since April and they felt like street tires on that hot track, but I think my car feels pretty good otherwise. I'll find out next weekend at Sonoma on some fresh tires. Thanks to my sponsors LG Motorsports and RPM Transmission.
Bill

Thanks again. Sorry for the motion sicknes. I'm sure it was all Dave

Did you notice anything with my GoPro. Any beeping. I'm sure you didn't turn it off but it just stoped recording after 1/2 lap and other sessions were fine.

Good luck on your race

DH
Old 09-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
DH – You shouldn’t worry about it. I’m sure if Joel was “hypothetically” filming you at Big Willow and you did a pass on a Miata on turn 2 and his camera went dead, you would be very forgiving of him...
Kevin don't worry about me and Joel. Just worry if I will EVER forgive YOU !!

Glad you had so much fun and the ACS thread is up so check in.

DH

Quick Reply: Corvette Challenge Event#7 Download !!