Need help with a Scam from Fallbrook CA

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:19 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Need help with a Scam from Fallbrook CA

I am trying to find the real address of a guy that has scammed at least two of us from the forum. I have put the info I know below. I have been told that Fallbrook is a small area so I am hoping someone here may have some additional info I can provide to the police. You can get the full story in my post under the Transaction Feedback section.
I do know that this guy buys and sells Corvette parts in the Fallbrook area and has run ads with the phone number listed below.

Name used - Dave Young
Forum name - LT-1Healey
email address - daveyoung1966@hotmail.com
Address used - 855 South Main Ave
Suite K
Fallbrook CA 92028
Ebay name used - 1sunshineman
Phone number used 858 210 1014

This phone number may have been changes although he did use it to place ads in at least two local papers looking to buy Corvette parts.
One of his other victims is an 84 year old man that sold him a gas cap for a later model and sent it to the same address and never received payment. He told me that 1sunshineman has over 170 feedback ratings on ebay. He did speak with him several times and had the same experience.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 11-22-2013, 11:42 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I should also add that the address listed is a mall type area with a postal place that allows people to have a PO box type arrangement. I am trying to get a home or business address for the authorities. I can also send anyone a link to the local adds he runs or you can just google the phone number with Corvette and they will come up.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer. I really want to stop this guy from what he is doing to our hobby.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:42 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Sorry to hear that. How much did he scam you for?
Old 11-24-2013, 12:43 AM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Said he had a NOS 70 LT-1 complete engine and I sent him a $1500 deposit. We spoke many times on the phone and he seemed so believable. I have purchased 3 other NOS LT-1 short blocks and never had an issue. He does know his cars and he has local adds running so someone out there must know him. He must have some type of place to sell the parts he receives or made some connections. Someone has sent me a street address that I am having checked out. We need to stop this guy.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:36 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, if he follows this site he'll certainly know your searching for him... - n- hide as he can.

The police should be able to to a reverse trace for the phone and account/carrier and get the name and (residence) address or record on the account. Heck, you can probably do that.

I'm not to far from Fallbrook, so you could PM me with info or what ever and I can go take a look. The more discrete you keep your search off the front page, the better.

You could keep it simple and file a small claims suite in the town were you live, issue a subpoena duces mecum to:

1. the mail service/POB company at the address on record or where hi POB is located, asking for the for the 'holder' name or record on the POB number, and all identifying information. They will also usually also have the address of record, meaning the account holders residence, and other identifying info etc. Then law enforcement can go knock on their door, or you or a 'friend'.

2. Hotmail requesting all info on file for the holder of the email address.

takes a little time, and a small amount of money, but it will get you the info.

good luck

Last edited by J Christensen; 11-24-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

He hasn't been on this forum since 10-12 at least under the forum name he was using. I am quite sure he has read what I have written and has not responded for obvious reasons. Of course he could just set up another account as he just uses them to find info and has never posted. I am pretty sure he knows I am looking for him. He scammed more than just me and I have spoken to another of his victims. While it would be nice to get my money back I am more committed to him not getting away with it and keeping his scams going. I have just started working with the police and I am fine with spending more money to stop him.

The phone was a month to month deal and the number belongs to someone else now.

He was running ads in local papers looking for parts and is very active on ebay so he seems to be very public. If he is buying and selling Corvette and other muscle car parts in the Fallbrook area someone on here must have dealt with him. You can find his ads if you google the phone number and see if there are like ads being run in your local trades.

I did get one possible address and a note that he may have a record and we are following up on that.

Last edited by spf72; 11-24-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-24-2013, 10:56 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

I understand you want him to harm no others and that is your primary focus. The subpoena duces tecum can be quite a powerful tool. You can get history on old accounts/info, or whatever.

Originally Posted by spf72
The phone was a month to month deal and the number belongs to someone else now.
The phone company will also have all old records of previous 'owners' a record, how and who was paying the account, some address and via what payment method, etc. likely a cornucopia of information.

Via ebay he has to have a pay account that is verified through a bank account. Typically bank accounts require verified identification. I'd use a duces tecum method to 'follow the money'. Companies, banks, etc are pretty good at responding to subpoenas/court orders for 'info'. And you can put right on the form the company/your address/where to have the info sent, such as to you, as the Petitioner, or an agent of your choice/someone you know.

You can file a law suite based upon his given information, which as you suspect is false, however, once you file you can then set out your court date for 6 months, or longer, and in the mean time, start sending out the subpoena's, one after the other. You can always re-set the court date, extending your time, further in the future if you need, giving more time for additional subpoenas.

Last edited by J Christensen; 11-24-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:02 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Almost 400 views and no one has heard of or run into this guy?
I was told it is a relatively small area and there are only so many of us car folks and fewer still that are buying and selling Corvette parts. Are there other car clubs in the area?

Any help is appreciated and I am looking into the suggestions I have received already.

Steve
Old 11-27-2013, 05:55 PM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Fallbrook is small, its right outside the base that I am stationed at. With that being said, internet scams are running amuck these days. I am sorry to hear about your situation and hopefully you get your money back. Jay
Old 11-27-2013, 11:41 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

This wasn't your typical internet scam. Both I and others have had lengthy phone conversations with this guy. Once he has your part or money he has a list of believable reasons he is delayed. He used almost identical stories with a couple of us. I believe he lives in or around Fallbrook as I know he has parts sent to the same mail box I sent money to as well as the ads he runs are in local papers.
With a few hundred transactions on eBay he must have a fair number of legitimate sales. I will copy and show one of the ads as that may trigger something.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:46 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

You have more info than the rest of us. If, by chance, I come across something like you describe I will let you know.

While you are waiting, you could continue your other info inquiries. That has much more certainty of finding something useful and precise.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:43 AM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spf72
This wasn't your typical internet scam. Both I and others have had lengthy phone conversations with this guy. Once he has your part or money he has a list of believable reasons he is delayed. He used almost identical stories with a couple of us. I believe he lives in or around Fallbrook as I know he has parts sent to the same mail box I sent money to as well as the ads he runs are in local papers.
With a few hundred transactions on eBay he must have a fair number of legitimate sales. I will copy and show one of the ads as that may trigger something.
Yes copy one of his ads and post it up. I frequent craigslist quite often honestly. Jay
Old 11-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Lpe403
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm really close to Fallbrook, this might give me reason to cruise over there.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 AM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

See below (copy of my last email to him), PM me and we can discuss.
Complete thief, but as convincing as you will ever find.

Dave,

I guess all I can say is how disappointing this whole situation has become. Thought I would send you one last email to separate fact from fiction on this deal.

You did the following;

Had me take numerous pictures in April and hours of phone conversation on your interest in the 1962 Corvette.
Offer of $39k, which I agreed on.
Suddenly your uncle dies (who you were close to) and as a result you take posession of his 1973 Jaguar, which he has had for many years.
After you sent me pictures of the car on 4/28/13 I agreed to do an even swap.
Letter dated 5/3/13 from you (Bill of Sale) along with open title from your uncle, Lxxxd Axxx Boxxxnn, signature dated 3/26/12.
Also sent me his last registration. I sent you my title for the 62 corvette (per your request) and a GOOD FAITH DEPOSIT of $1,250.00, which you cashed in May, 2013.
Per Bill of Sale, you were using the $1,250 to cover expenses for you to deliver my car and pick up the 62 Corvette.
Stated that the car was in the Northeast and you needed to have it delivered to your place in California.
Email dated 7/25/13 stated we would set date to deliver car.
Agreed on date of approximately 8/22 or 8/23/13 when you would arrive.
On 8/20 rec's via your email (from your girlfriend) that you were instead going to the Carlisle, PA corvette show and would do the exchange on way back.
Called you the following day and you were very vague and I also bought up the fact to you that the exterior pictures you sent me were from a different Jaguar that sold at RM Auction and in fact, not the car you represented to me. Again, you stammered around and had no explanation.
Phone call on 8/22/13 and I offered you to keep both cars at my shop if you dropped off the cars on your way to Carlisle and pick up the 62 corvette on your way back (at this point I KNEW I had been scammed).
You said you would think about it and call me back.
Have called you over 100 times since then and sent numerous emails,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ZERO RESPONSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now here is the good part,

THE "FACTS"

Lucky for me I have a tie into the Indianapolis Police Dept and had a Detective do a little "fact finding".

1973 Jaguar was owned by Dr. Wxxxx (Bxxx) Bxxxxxxn who was killed by a bullet to the head in San Diego on 8/30/13.
His brother (AND NOT YOUR MADE UP UNCLE), LxxxD Axxxxx BxxxxxxN rec'd the car after his brothers tragic death and kept it at his Mom's house in California as he lived in Chicago and did not want to see the car. His mom's name is GxxxxS BxxxxxxN. You told me that your uncle's name was on the car title.
A guy named DAVE YOUNG see's the car and inquires about buying it.
You make contact with Lxxxd, agree to buy the car and wire him the money, around end of 2011 or early 2012.
Strange though in that it took them MONTHS to have you finally pick up the car as you would not return their messages.
You finally had a truck come pick up the car and they never heard from you.
California DMV shows that you had a "release of liability" on the 1973 Jaguar car title on 3/26/12 and a stated value of $500.00

How do I know this you may be asking? The IPD Detective TALKED to both Gxxxxs and Lxxxd!!!!!!!!!
You have had the car since then and gave me a total fabricated story and confirmed FAKE PICTURES of the outside of the car, maybe even the other pictures as well.

You see Dave, I started getting suspicious when you started stammering over my question on Lxxxd's (your stated UNCLE) wifes name and the fact he had a boat. Unfortunately, I did not get suspicious until after I sent the money.
Did you think I was so stupid I would not at least do a simple Google on the names on the title you sent me????? If you were so close to him would those not be easy questions to answer?

What I cannot believe is that you invested all of this time into phone discussion with me, numerous requested (very specific) pictures I sent to you on the 62 Corvette, all to just screw me out of $1,250.00???? This makes ZERO sense to me.

So the Indianapolis Police advised me to get a new original title to my 62 Corvette and report my original as "Stolen", which I did, as you STOLE FROM ME.
I have the new title to my car but still demand the original back from you to ensure it is not used in another SCAM!.

I will hold the open title you sent me to the 73 Jaguar until I receive the $1,250 dollars back on my good faith deposit. Of course I have serious doubts that this title is the most recent one, as everything you have told me is a 100% complete, utter LIE!

I will give you ONE WEEK, by 9/16/13 to return the monies at which point I will turn over to the police and my attorney. I know the address you gave me is just a mail box place at a strip mall, but I am sure I can call in another favor with the IPD and they can track down your REAL address.

I am hoping you at least call me or return my email so that this unfortunate situation is finally, put to rest.
Not holding my breath,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by edub63vette; 12-04-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Omitted actual names
Old 12-04-2013, 06:45 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for this and I will send a PM - maybe we can work together to put this guy in jail where he belongs. I have received one address from another victim although when I google it the houses look to be in a fairly nice side of town.

I also spent hours on the phone with "Dave" and he does know his cars. I also do not understand why he would spend so much time with so many intricate stories, I also got several emails from his made up assistant. I am not saying $1,500 is nothing but it seems like a small amount for all of the months of work he did. It is possible he does this as a sport and not just for the money.

It does appear that his name might actually be Dave Young and he is close enough to the PO Box in Fallbrook to pick up his money and parts he has sent there. He also runs adds in the local papers so I do believe he lives in the area.

We need to track this guy down. I am very open to flying to CA and take what ever legal action is required.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:04 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a link to one of the ads he ran in the San Diego paper. He has since changed his number although I am sure he is still running ads.

http://www.sandiegout.mobi/Classifie...category=Autos
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Wow...what a scum bag. Hope he goes to jail.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with a Scam from Fallbrook CA

Old 12-06-2013, 06:13 AM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Has anyone talked to this guy, face to face?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 AM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Christensen
Has anyone talked to this guy, face to face?
Nope, but would love to although I would most likely end up in jail for assault.

Since he contacted me via my cell (which I had on the ad for my 62 vette in the for sale section of our forum), I did not know his forum name.
Went back through my private messages and after I discussed the car with him he sent me a PM under forum name "LT1-Healy" acting as if he was not the same guy and warning me he had looked at this exact car several years ago and the issues it had (which I was aware of and had shared with him on the phone)!

The lengths he went to for a $1,250 rip off is truly amazing. When he sent me the title of his Jaguar I had a VIN report ran by the police and it came back clear, so at the time, everything added up.
I think his plan is to rip-off many people for small amounts so no one invests the time and money to seek a legal process.

Using his cell number I found a Craig's List ad in Cleveland where he was advertising a "divorce sale" BMW and also an ad in the NE looking to buy older cars in any condition. These were in October and I reported them as a scam and they do not show up currently. I think the way to catch him is through the local ad's. He may be legitimately buying items but with scammed funds!!!

Eric
Old 12-06-2013, 01:02 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I checked his email name another scam victim provided and he has over 270 purchases with perfect feedback. So it looks like he is lbuying a lot of car parts legitimatly. I am verifying the email name although I am quite certain it is his as it was provided by another victim and when I google the phone number provided by edub63 and eBay a message appears from Dave. This may be a means to get his real address. He also is either collecting a large stockpile of parts or is selling them somewhere. I have not come across any adds where he sells anything only buying so he may have a brick and motor location to sell the stuff.

More to come.

Quick Reply: Need help with a Scam from Fallbrook CA