smog question - vararam vr-sc1 on a 08 c6 z51

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:58 AM
DimaK321
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog question - vararam vr-sc1 on a 08 c6 z51

hellllllloooo everyone

i bought a used 08 c6 z51 about 4 years ago, and it came with a vararam vr-sc1. all was well, until i got a registration notice with a smog requirement. the smog guy told me that it will fail the visual due to an aftermarket intake. thus, i had 3 options: get the carb sticker from vararam, buy the stock airbox, or find a smog station that does not care about the visual as much.

i called vararam, and the intake is not carb legal, so that's out. swapping intakes back and forth sounds like a major PITA, so i'd rather not do that; i don't even have the stock airbox. does anyone know a smog station that is loose with its visual inspection? i'm in the SFV, so something local would be great. how about any other options? maybe someone has the stock airbox for sale? i'll buy one, just in case.

i appreciate your input. thankfully, this is just a once-in-two-years type of a deal
Old 08-29-2014, 10:00 AM
DimaK321
Advanced

here's the intake:

http://www.vararam.com/sc1.html

i don't even know if my vette is any better because of it. the car just came with it.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:28 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The first rule about illegal smogs is to not talk about illegal smogs (especially on a forum).

Lots of LS3 intakes out there for cheap or maybe you could borrow one. Look on the bright side- it is a hell of a lot easier to swap that than say long tube headers. Just get the stock intake. The car will ace the test once you satisfy the visual.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:59 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by mike100
The first rule about illegal smogs is to not talk about illegal smogs (especially on a forum).
Old 08-29-2014, 11:32 PM
DimaK321
Advanced

wow, guys; i'm not talking about murder here. chill out!

i'm asking if the visual is a requirement, or if this is like a variable thing - one place does this, one place does that
Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DimaK321
i'm asking if the visual is a requirement, or if this is like a variable thing - one place does this, one place does that
These days, they're all strict. Anything that's aftermarket needs a CARB sticker and corresponding EO number, else you'll fail the visual.

Hopefully a fellow forum member with a stock intake sitting in their garage will lend it to you.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:57 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The bribe would cost more than dealer labor to swap it- If you can still even find a crooked tech.

An intake is nothing- the path of least resistance is to pass- this ain't the bad 'ol good days anymore.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:58 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe there are only two brands of CAI that have the CARB EO#, the calloway honker and the AFE Power Magnum Force. You should be able to find a stock airbox without much trouble.

Edit: Here's a stock LS3 air intake for $50 (quick search of C6 parts forum, there's probably more)
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-of-stuff.html

Last edited by john8642; 08-30-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:29 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I much as I enjoy dude parts, I would just change it.

Because I never need beyond the stock abilities, no track days or competition . THe only thing limiting the stock design team must have been cost, I don't think ability or understanding of the task were concerns. I don't think it a bad design, you can see that few after market parts improve the function, just change the looks.

With that thinking, are you solving a performance problem you don't have. And, like most mods, it now requires extra attention on your part.

I know you are aware of this, and was waiting to throw the ace, hydro lock. I suppose you already know the price for the added power in the higher ranges ( I think it's at the top?) is exposure to hydro lock.

Not a big problem around here, but I did read a post where it happened. My answer is influenced by my vision of the car as a grand tourer, others tilt toward performance over versatility.

THe gardeners in my area gave me a price on outlaw smog, but with computers I would think the standards will get tougher to get around as the system matures. I wouldn't count on any durable recourse except compliance.

I really like what I have read about the Variram. However, I can see myself out on tour with a desire to get someplace and a wet day. A bad combo for me , as I am easily swayed by women and tend to be a risk taker, so .............

Get notified of new replies

To smog question - vararam vr-sc1 on a 08 c6 z51

Quick Reply: smog question - vararam vr-sc1 on a 08 c6 z51