Southern California Southern California

Fontana Drag Strip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 01:48 PM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Fontana Drag Strip?

Anyone know of any private track rentals for the Fontana drag strip? Can we put one together? Not interested in going on days where its open to the public and waiting for hours to make one run....
Old 10-13-2014, 02:20 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by OliverM5
Anyone know of any private track rentals for the Fontana drag strip? Can we put one together? Not interested in going on days where its open to the public and waiting for hours to make one run....
While I generally agree with you about waiting hours, and do prefer private track days, I went to Fontana a few months back, and sailed through the short line. I got there around 2, and made 10 passes by 4:15...
Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 PM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
While I generally agree with you about waiting hours, and do prefer private track days, I went to Fontana a few months back, and sailed through the short line. I got there around 2, and made 10 passes by 4:15...
When are you going back?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:29 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

When are you going back?
not sure, I'll let you know...
Old 10-14-2014, 01:32 AM
rz_ls3vette
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

let's go to Bakersfield famoso speedway nov 9 better track let me know
Old 10-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm going to Fontana on November 1st.

The crowds have been getting smaller as the season progressed which allows for more runs. My first event this year I got 6 passes and left around 3 pm. Next event I got 12 passes and left around 4 pm. The last event I went to in June I got 23 passes. Yes 23. There was no shutdown between runs. Gas, heat, fatigue and GoPro batteries became an issue! What a blast!

Here are my hints.

1) Get there at least by 0630 for the tech line. Yes tech won't start until 0700 but you'll be one of the first and ready to go at 0900.

2) Purchase entry for more than 1 group. You should get one blue tech card for each group you buy. This will double or triple your runs.

3) Stay to the end. People really start to bail after lunch and that's when they cut loose on the groups and it becomes a free for all so to speak.

4) Talk to other racers. I've had the fortune to meet many nice people driving all kinds of stuff.

5) Have a blast!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:23 PM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Trash
I'm going to Fontana on November 1st.

The crowds have been getting smaller as the season progressed which allows for more runs. My first event this year I got 6 passes and left around 3 pm. Next event I got 12 passes and left around 4 pm. The last event I went to in June I got 23 passes. Yes 23. There was no shutdown between runs. Gas, heat, fatigue and GoPro batteries became an issue! What a blast!

Here are my hints.

1) Get there at least by 0630 for the tech line. Yes tech won't start until 0700 but you'll be one of the first and ready to go at 0900.

2) Purchase entry for more than 1 group. You should get one blue tech card for each group you buy. This will double or triple your runs.

3) Stay to the end. People really start to bail after lunch and that's when they cut loose on the groups and it becomes a free for all so to speak.

4) Talk to other racers. I've had the fortune to meet many nice people driving all kinds of stuff.

5) Have a blast!
Sounds good. What if I get there around 1-2 pm, will I be able to get in and make 5-10 runs without much of a wait?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Trash
Racer

Tough to say. Depends on what the crowds do. It has been my experience the crowd thinned but you never know. That's why I go and start early and spend all day there.

I think it's possible but I probably wouldn't buy into two groups at that point.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ever since Fontana has opened back up much less cars go out there. I have come at noon and had no issue getting as many runs as I wanted though I get kicked out every time I go lol
Old 10-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rz_ls3vette
let's go to Bakersfield famoso speedway nov 9 better track let me know
I may want to roll out there on that saturday or sunday Roger. You planning on going?
Old 10-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Trash
Racer

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
Ever since Fontana has opened back up much less cars go out there. I have come at noon and had no issue getting as many runs as I wanted though I get kicked out every time I go lol
Did you get the boot for noise or ET / roll bar issues? I know you were close to the 10's but don't remember if you had a cage.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:07 PM
rz_ls3vette
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
I may want to roll out there on that saturday or sunday Roger. You planning on going?
sunday we rolling deep let me know to meet up ... Fontana has more strict rules and that track sucks on prepping especially if your going to see your best time
Old 10-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Trash
Did you get the boot for noise or ET / roll bar issues? I know you were close to the 10's but don't remember if you had a cage.
ET. I dont have a roll bar or cage so I get kicked out everytime lol. I've learned to just not pick up my time slip and I was able to keep racing until they hunted me down.

Originally Posted by rz_ls3vette
sunday we rolling deep let me know to meet up ... Fontana has more strict rules and that track sucks on prepping especially if your going to see your best time
I'm down to roll, I'll try and make sure I'm free for that day
Old 10-25-2014, 02:04 PM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

So what happens if I run 10's, kicked out immediately?
Old 10-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Trash
Racer

So what happens if I run 10's, kicked out immediately?
If you have a cage you are good to go. If not I'm not sure what would happen.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Twistedpixels
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was there today but for the autoX event since my friend wanted to go visit the guys from JDP. I did look in on the drag cars and there was a lot of people in the lanes. Looked like a long time between runs. I saw JBSBlownC5 on the 210 with his car on the trailer on the way out there. Did not seem him at the track though. I also looked in on the guys racing their superbikes and that was pretty cool. They were flying down the main straight.

Get notified of new replies

To Fontana Drag Strip?

Quick Reply: Fontana Drag Strip?