Southern California Southern California

My experience in San Diego and then MA

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 PM
BLKZ0SIX
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My experience in San Diego and then MA

Dear fellow Z06 owners, I feel like I need to share my experience with two different shops with you guys.

Top Flight Corvette of San Diego, California
Slowhawk Performance of Bridgewater, Massachusetts

Please take and learn from my experience when you go get work done to your Corvette.

What I have learned from this whole thing, is that; the quality of a shop can change and despite how they might smile and be friendly, it does not mean they are there for the best of your interest. I have been a customer of Top Flight Corvette since 2010, I would have to say this is by far the worst experience I have ever had as a customer of a shop.

Cliff Notes:
- Needed engine work
- Went to Top Flight Corvette in SD
- Got told of how they were going to make my Z06 bad ***.
- Got the run around on pricing
- Eventually the final price was over 150% of the original quote
- Multiple craftsmanship errors (didn't plug my O2 sensors back in, my ABS/Traction System module wasn't plugged back in also)
- Subwoofers went missing at the shop and they failed to let me know that my car was apparently broken into, until I went to go pick up my car
- Car was super dirty and sat outside in the sun for over 6 months, interior had cobwebs and random grease marks, the exterior had spiders crawling on the outside.
- Car had some serious tuning issues with the drive-ability (surging, and random shut off and drop in rpms).
- Contacted Don of Slowhawk Performance, he fixed everything (from the tuning issue to my Trac Sys/ABS sys errors), car runs smooth now

Story time:
About a few months ago as I was getting ready to go on another deployment in April, my Z06 took a **** on me when I hit a dip in the road (for those who live in SD, it was the dip on Rosecrans Street in Point Loma towards the Navy Sub base, that damaged my car). The oil pressure dropped real low and then eventually it hit 0 psi. As a result of this oil pump failure, my engine was damaged.

After assessing the situation, I contacted a few shops in SoCal to see what could be done. I called the Corvette Shop in Clairemont Mesa of San Diego and the owner told me he would not build me an engine because he did not want to be liable for anything, so I said "ok no problem".

I then called Cunningham Motorsports but they were backed up with work and since I was leaving for deployment real soon, I had to find a shop ASAP (I wish I would have had more time to bring my car to CMS).

I eventually ended up contacting Top Flight Corvette, and had my car towed there to see what they could do. I was buttered up by them, with all the things that they said they could do with my car and as a result, I let them take my car in for a built motor.

I was originally quoted for $11k, and was told it would not cost over $15k total. WRONG.

Fast forward a few months later (when my active duty obligation in the Navy was over with). I flew back to San Diego and the car was still not done, but I was okay with that, I figured that they were taking the time to build it properly and in addition, I gave them my pop up headlights to re-install (I also needed the LF and RF covers plus paint for them, which Top Flight provided) since my DEPO non pop-ups sucked ***.

After being back in SD for a month, I eventually flew back to Massachusetts to further wait for my car to be done. While in MA, I kept asking them for the final price so I could plan out my finance and they kept me in the dark by saying that they would call me back “tomorrow”… this went on for a few weeks. It sounded like they didn't want to talk to me on the phone and rushed me off the line every time I called. Eventually I got an updated price of $13k and some change. I was also told that it wouldn’t cost over $15k…boy was that false.

Apparently “stuff came up that needed fixing” and when I asked them what that stuff was, the answer that I was given was that of someone who was beating around the bush and not having a real answer. My final invoice turned into almost $18k and finally I was told that my car was ready for pick up.

I flew into SD on the weekend and went to go pick up my car Saturday. Upon handing over about close to $18k; I got the keys to my car.

As I approached the car, I see that the car wasn’t washed or prepared for pick up. The exterior of my car was dirty and covered in pollen and had spiders crawling around the roof and trunk lid. The interior had random grease marks here and there and there were cobwebs everywhere. When I fired the car up, I noticed my car popping up with Service Vehicle Soon, Traction Control System / ABS lights were on.

Not only that but, my subwoofers were missing! I was pretty upset at this point, seeing that they didn’t reinstall my subwoofers and seeing errors on the dash that weren’t there prior to the car being dropped off at Top Flight Corvette. So I drove around the shop to the back and questioned them about the Service Vehicle Soon error message and the missing sub woofers. I was told “oh yeah your car was broken into along with the Camaro next to it”…Uhhh okay? So are you going to replace it? Nope, I was told that they weren’t liable and that I need to take a claim out on my insurance!

WTF. RED FLAG. I was told that they had a police report but I didn’t see anything. Apparently they were not liable for it since my car wasn’t inside the shop; their insurance only covers what happens in the shop, not on their shop property where they keep a variety of cars outside.

In addition to my subwoofers being missing, I was told that they needed to go into the computer and tune my car to see what’s up with the traction control sys / ABS errors. They said that my car needed to be tuned or they wouldn’t warranty my build. So I told them I will have it tuned by them on the weekday. I brought it back the following week and they tuned it, and my car made 574 rwhp and 488 rwtq. I was content with the power it made because I had to be on my way to drive back to MA but it didn’t solve my Traction Control Sys / ABS lights (I already knew that the PCM doesn’t control those systems). I decided to chalk this up as a loss and be on my way to the east coast.

My first stop was Las Vegas. I had my first oil change done there while I was stopping for a break. I went to a shop where you could walk downstairs and see what’s under the car. The mechanic pointed to me that my O2 sensors just dangling…they weren’t plugged in. WTF? Seriously? I immediately contacted Top Flight Corvette and was told one of their guys forgot to plug it back in during the tune. Bull **** because the guy never touched my car during the tune (I was present at the tuning), and why would you have to unplug an O2 sensor during a tune?! That is unheard of!

Eventually I made it back to MA but during the drive back to the east coast, my car was still running rough, the idle wasn’t right, and my car was surging and it would sometime die randomly especially when I let off the gas after doing 1/2 WOT. During my trip, I would keep in touch with Top Flight Corvette to let them know how the car was acting and was told that the car was still learning its tune. (lol. Yeah OK, I know better now).

Once I got back to MA, I didn’t drive my car much due to the rain, and then one night on my way back home from the gym, my car dies at a red light and wouldn’t start again.

I had my car towed to Slowhawk Performance where Don figured out the problem within an hour of the car being dropped off. Don also told me that my car was running like **** and that I should have it re-tuned.

At first, I was like eh whatever, it’s still re-learning its tune (That’s what the owner of Top Flight kept telling me and I believed him like a dumb ***) so I opted not to do it that day, boy did I eff up.

After posting a question about the PCM learning a tune in an FB Corvette group, I quickly realized Top Flight Corvette was BS'ing me the whole time and was taking me for a fool.

I immediately e-mailed Don back and had my car dropped off at his shop this past Sunday. Don came in yesterday on Monday (a day off from work) to work on my car.

I got it back today and it is running smooth as butter and it even makes more power (592 rwhp and 501 rwtq). On top of the increase in power, my fuel efficiency is also WAY better now since I am getting 24-25 mpg on the hwy instead of how I was on my road trip from San Diego to MA. I was struggling to get 20 mpg on the highway during my road trip (which consisted of 95% highway driving.) Don also solved my Service Vehicle Soon / Service Traction System / Service ABS problem too by plugging the module back in...Top Flight failed to do so.

I have been a customer of Top Flight since I was stationed out in San Diego back in 2010. I always brought my Vettes there when I had a problem. How are you going to treat a return customer like that??
Old 10-14-2014, 10:48 PM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

As a military member to another member, thanks for your service brother. I shoot straight from the hip and call a spade a spade, that is garbage what I just read. 18k for an engine build with an oh by the way your car was broken into without any notification from this so called shop. Pathetic to say the least... Im glad to hear you got your car figured out and hope it at least holds together for you in the future. Jay
Old 10-15-2014, 12:49 AM
Lpe403
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's why I only go to CMS - period.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 AM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lpe403
AMEN.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:20 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=BLKZ0SIX;1588043902]Dear fellow Z06 owners, I feel like I need to share my experience with two different shops with you guys.

How many times are you going to post this?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:15 PM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=john8642;1588045356]
Originally Posted by BLKZ0SIX
Dear fellow Z06 owners, I feel like I need to share my experience with two different shops with you guys.

How many times are you going to post this?

Probably as many times as he wants to. He paid 18k to tell this story, I wouldn't want it to be limited to a one time post due to some ones opinion Jay
Old 10-16-2014, 07:15 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Yup, I probably would post it on every forum on the internet that had anything remotely to do with Corvette's, had I had the same experience. Top Flight can join up and come tell their side of the story if they would like.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Metal Skull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lpe403
Yup!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

[QUOTE=96mogt;1588051536]
Originally Posted by john8642

Probably as many times as he wants to. He paid 18k to tell this story, I wouldn't want it to be limited to a one time post due to some ones opinion Jay
Old 10-18-2014, 03:36 PM
TimspeedII
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have gotten ahold of my buddy Centralcoaster there in SD he would have helped you immensly & not ripped you off. Let me know if interested & I will get his permission to give you his email . He as well is a vette owner & has been on this forum for years.

Originally Posted by BLKZ0SIX

Please take and learn from my experience when you go get work done to your Corvette.

What I have learned from this whole thing, is that; the quality of a shop can change and despite how they might smile and be friendly, it does not mean they are there for the best of your interest. I have been a customer of Top Flight Corvette since 2010, I would have to say this is by far the worst experience I have ever had as a customer of a shop.

Cliff Notes:
- Needed engine work
- Went to Top Flight Corvette in SD
- Got told of how they were going to make my Z06 bad ***.
- Got the run around on pricing
- Eventually the final price was over 150% of the original quote
- Multiple craftsmanship errors (didn't plug my O2 sensors back in, my ABS/Traction System module wasn't plugged back in also)
- Subwoofers went missing at the shop and they failed to let me know that my car was apparently broken into, until I went to go pick up my car
- Car was super dirty and sat outside in the sun for over 6 months, interior had cobwebs and random grease marks, the exterior had spiders crawling on the outside.
- Car had some serious tuning issues with the drive-ability (surging, and random shut off and drop in rpms).
- Contacted Don of Slowhawk Performance, he fixed everything (from the tuning issue to my Trac Sys/ABS sys errors), car runs smooth now

Story time:
About a few months ago as I was getting ready to go on another deployment in April, my Z06 took a **** on me when I hit a dip in the road (for those who live in SD, it was the dip on Rosecrans Street in Point Loma towards the Navy Sub base, that damaged my car). The oil pressure dropped real low and then eventually it hit 0 psi. As a result of this oil pump failure, my engine was damaged.

After assessing the situation, I contacted a few shops in SoCal to see what could be done. I called the Corvette Shop in Clairemont Mesa of San Diego and the owner told me he would not build me an engine because he did not want to be liable for anything, so I said "ok no problem".

I then called Cunningham Motorsports but they were backed up with work and since I was leaving for deployment real soon, I had to find a shop ASAP (I wish I would have had more time to bring my car to CMS).

I eventually ended up contacting Top Flight Corvette, and had my car towed there to see what they could do. I was buttered up by them, with all the things that they said they could do with my car and as a result, I let them take my car in for a built motor.

I was originally quoted for $11k, and was told it would not cost over $15k total. WRONG.

Fast forward a few months later (when my active duty obligation in the Navy was over with). I flew back to San Diego and the car was still not done, but I was okay with that, I figured that they were taking the time to build it properly and in addition, I gave them my pop up headlights to re-install (I also needed the LF and RF covers plus paint for them, which Top Flight provided) since my DEPO non pop-ups sucked ***.

After being back in SD for a month, I eventually flew back to Massachusetts to further wait for my car to be done. While in MA, I kept asking them for the final price so I could plan out my finance and they kept me in the dark by saying that they would call me back “tomorrow”… this went on for a few weeks. It sounded like they didn't want to talk to me on the phone and rushed me off the line every time I called. Eventually I got an updated price of $13k and some change. I was also told that it wouldn’t cost over $15k…boy was that false.

Apparently “stuff came up that needed fixing” and when I asked them what that stuff was, the answer that I was given was that of someone who was beating around the bush and not having a real answer. My final invoice turned into almost $18k and finally I was told that my car was ready for pick up.

I flew into SD on the weekend and went to go pick up my car Saturday. Upon handing over about close to $18k; I got the keys to my car.

As I approached the car, I see that the car wasn’t washed or prepared for pick up. The exterior of my car was dirty and covered in pollen and had spiders crawling around the roof and trunk lid. The interior had random grease marks here and there and there were cobwebs everywhere. When I fired the car up, I noticed my car popping up with Service Vehicle Soon, Traction Control System / ABS lights were on.

Not only that but, my subwoofers were missing! I was pretty upset at this point, seeing that they didn’t reinstall my subwoofers and seeing errors on the dash that weren’t there prior to the car being dropped off at Top Flight Corvette. So I drove around the shop to the back and questioned them about the Service Vehicle Soon error message and the missing sub woofers. I was told “oh yeah your car was broken into along with the Camaro next to it”…Uhhh okay? So are you going to replace it? Nope, I was told that they weren’t liable and that I need to take a claim out on my insurance!

WTF. RED FLAG. I was told that they had a police report but I didn’t see anything. Apparently they were not liable for it since my car wasn’t inside the shop; their insurance only covers what happens in the shop, not on their shop property where they keep a variety of cars outside.

In addition to my subwoofers being missing, I was told that they needed to go into the computer and tune my car to see what’s up with the traction control sys / ABS errors. They said that my car needed to be tuned or they wouldn’t warranty my build. So I told them I will have it tuned by them on the weekday. I brought it back the following week and they tuned it, and my car made 574 rwhp and 488 rwtq. I was content with the power it made because I had to be on my way to drive back to MA but it didn’t solve my Traction Control Sys / ABS lights (I already knew that the PCM doesn’t control those systems). I decided to chalk this up as a loss and be on my way to the east coast.

My first stop was Las Vegas. I had my first oil change done there while I was stopping for a break. I went to a shop where you could walk downstairs and see what’s under the car. The mechanic pointed to me that my O2 sensors just dangling…they weren’t plugged in. WTF? Seriously? I immediately contacted Top Flight Corvette and was told one of their guys forgot to plug it back in during the tune. Bull **** because the guy never touched my car during the tune (I was present at the tuning), and why would you have to unplug an O2 sensor during a tune?! That is unheard of!

Eventually I made it back to MA but during the drive back to the east coast, my car was still running rough, the idle wasn’t right, and my car was surging and it would sometime die randomly especially when I let off the gas after doing 1/2 WOT. During my trip, I would keep in touch with Top Flight Corvette to let them know how the car was acting and was told that the car was still learning its tune. (lol. Yeah OK, I know better now).

Once I got back to MA, I didn’t drive my car much due to the rain, and then one night on my way back home from the gym, my car dies at a red light and wouldn’t start again.

I had my car towed to Slowhawk Performance where Don figured out the problem within an hour of the car being dropped off. Don also told me that my car was running like **** and that I should have it re-tuned.

At first, I was like eh whatever, it’s still re-learning its tune (That’s what the owner of Top Flight kept telling me and I believed him like a dumb ***) so I opted not to do it that day, boy did I eff up.

After posting a question about the PCM learning a tune in an FB Corvette group, I quickly realized Top Flight Corvette was BS'ing me the whole time and was taking me for a fool.

I immediately e-mailed Don back and had my car dropped off at his shop this past Sunday. Don came in yesterday on Monday (a day off from work) to work on my car.

I got it back today and it is running smooth as butter and it even makes more power (592 rwhp and 501 rwtq). On top of the increase in power, my fuel efficiency is also WAY better now since I am getting 24-25 mpg on the hwy instead of how I was on my road trip from San Diego to MA. I was struggling to get 20 mpg on the highway during my road trip (which consisted of 95% highway driving.) Don also solved my Service Vehicle Soon / Service Traction System / Service ABS problem too by plugging the module back in...Top Flight failed to do so.

I have been a customer of Top Flight since I was stationed out in San Diego back in 2010. I always brought my Vettes there when I had a problem. How are you going to treat a return customer like that??
Old 10-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Wow, that is unfortunate. I would not let top flight put air in my tires let alone work on my car. There is a list of do not go to shops in San Diego and they are at the top.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:25 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by john8642
I wouldn't want it to be limited to a one time post Jay

The Ca. Bureau of Automotive Repair needs this story. I've found them responsive to false advertising, which was a pleasant surprise.

This is almost as bad as what I 'got' at Sevens Only at Buttonwillow racetrack. Hopefully, they are long gone, now.

Thanks 4 the service, fellow Vet.

Last edited by whalepirot; 10-19-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:32 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot

The Ca. Bureau of Automotive Repair needs this story. I've found them responsive to false advertising, which was a pleasant surprise.

This is almost as bad as what I 'got' at Sevens Only at Buttonwillow racetrack. Hopefully, they are long gone, now.

Thanks 4 the service, fellow Vet.
Absolutely! Contact the CA BAR. I was towing a boat back from Lake Havasu and my trans went out in Needles. Went to a local trans shop and they quoted me a reasonable price and said one day. Three days later and they wanted cash only for the "repair". Should have been a red flag.

Got home to LA and the trans went out again. Took it to a local shop and they said it needs new solenoids and a bunch of other parts. They showed me the old parts that the first shop was supposed to have replaced. I called the first shop and they said they would pay for the second repair but never did. I eventually called the BAR and they were familiar with the shop. I guess they have a history of ripping people off. Anyway, the BAR hauled the guy into Riverside and made him send me a check (I was surprised when it did not bounce!)

You should contact them as they are a government agency that will actually try to help you!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:08 PM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

I agree 100%. Contact them and let them know about this pathetic so called company that screws people out of their hard earned money. Give them a taste of their own medicine and see how they like it. Hold their feet to the fire.... Jay
Old 10-20-2014, 03:16 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The CA BAR has some teeth. I had a past client that ran a Body Shop. Apparently in nefarious ways. They sent in a test car unbeknownst to him that needed body work. When he returned it and charged for new oem body panels they took it apart and saw that it had redone used panels and charged him criminally and fined him heavily. He ended up pleaing out to avoid jail time but part of the agreement is that he had to quit the business and give up his business license.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 PM
BLKZ0SIX
Advanced

Update to this.

I was going to leave this alone but Lawton Jr decided to call me this afternoon (est time) on a blocked ID number and accuse me of lying about the condition of my car at their shop and the condition of it after I picked it up.

He also threatened to say I was doing an insurance fraud because he apparently has several people from his shop (his father and another worker) that supposedly heard me say I was racing a Mustang. Which I wasn't.

Also, if you read my previous post from earlier in the year, about my low oil, ticking, rough sounding engine. I drove the car around and did a single 2-5k rpm pull. (Not even close to what racing shifts should be). I did not include bottoming out in there because I have bottomed out way worse before and did not think it would had that effect on it. With that said I wanted to put that out there so that someone doesn't bring up that post and be like oh why didnt u mention this.

Continuing,
He kept swearing on the phone, saying that I was "F'ing liar bro" and that my car was cleaned and that he had someone professionally cleaned my car prior to me picking it up. On top of that, he said my car wouldn't have ran if the O2s were really unplugged from his shop (once again no idea if thats true or not, I would assume it would just get terrible gas mileage). Really unprofessional. I will update more when I get home after work.

Im not even mad or amused by this, it is just very unprofessional to tell me to kiss my schooling and military benefits away.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:37 PM
BLKZ0SIX
Advanced

I know you are reading this Lawton and no I will not edit any of my post. Feel free to call my insurance company

Get notified of new replies

To My experience in San Diego and then MA

Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM
BLKZ0SIX
Advanced

Forgot to add this tidbit also...

When Lawton Jr was going off on me on the phone, I asked why didn't they tell me that my car was broken into?

Lawton Jr's reply was: "I only knew about it for a few weeks. I figured I would let you know when you got here"

...uhhh okaaaay...? That logic does not make any sense.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:25 PM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Sounds like a POS shop owner with a Garbage shop. Pointless threats, people tend to do that when they are caught with their pants down. Run that place up the flagpole!!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:09 PM
BLKZ0SIX
Advanced

I am at work and this shop has been blowing my phone up with calls and so I finally picked up to let them know that I am working and I get this

Lawton Jr:
"hey I just put in for possible fraud with your insurance company and I talked to the Mustang guy and he is willing to testify against you so stop lying on the internet...blah blah" (I hung up as he kept on talking)

Ummm ok. Im gonna get back to work now.

Quick Reply: My experience in San Diego and then MA