pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by rwpatte
Is this the same stuff as Red Line "Water Wetter"

http://www.evanscooling.com/
Howdy Pat,
A few years ago at a car show, I was talking to a couple old school hot rodders that told me that's all they use. Keeps their cars cooler than regular retail antifreeze.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:04 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

no, the water wetter product changes the surface tension of the water. I knocked off a couple of degrees after a bottle in the c5, but after some repairs, didn't have room to put the stuff in again. I plan on a return to use, didn't want to hassel toxic throw away to get the space.

The other stuff, is not water. As I understand the trade off of benefits, no corrosion against less heat carrying capacity . I think the main market is trucks.
In my understanding, the heat was one of the design issues of the ls engines, so, as attractive as this product is, nor for me. PLus it would make me look bad, one blown hose and I would be crying about a water refill to get home.

As I read the above comments from pcfred, i see my impressions need correcting. It appears to have superior heat carrying capacities.

Last edited by strand rider; 12-15-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:28 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfred
Howdy Pat,
A few years ago at a car show, I was talking to a couple old school hot rodders that told me that's all they use. Keeps their cars cooler than regular retail antifreeze.
Fred, sounds like its been around for awhile. Not sure if the benefits out weigh the cost over anti-freeze
Old 12-15-2014, 11:38 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by rwpatte
Fred, sounds like its been around for awhile. Not sure if the benefits out weigh the cost over anti-freeze
No not in your application (Evans stuff). We use it in track only builds that have heat issues. I.e. supercharged track cars, turbo track cars.
It is not, NOT compatible with water. All water needs to be flushed from the system (including heater core).
Honest opinion: it does help but not to the extent that one would hope.
Regarding the water wetter. Its great stuff. We use it all the time.

Last edited by American Heritage; 12-15-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:47 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I am glad American Heritage came in with knowledge from application, further advancing my understanding.

Sometimes I feel like a kid peeking over the fence, trying to see what the cool kids are doing, whenever the guys with strong experience show up. Such a dramatic elevation of mechanical discussion happens when experience shows the way.

At least I know enough to identify my more dubious advice as suspect, since I can't seem to avoid running my mouth. I guess I need attention, like a child making noise.

I am a little disappointed that I remembered my reading exactly backwards, I thought I had read the waterless stuff didn't cool as well. Surprisingly, not my first mistake. Wild huh.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Evans has been around for ever and ever never tried it though

Tried the water wetter couldnt see any difference at all between coolant and the way water wetter recommends. One was a mild build the other a BBF that liked to heat up. 0 difference maybe others had different results.

1 drop of dishsoap can increase surface tension in water wonder what the main ingredient in W.W. really is, curious
Old 12-18-2014, 12:32 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Some info here.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:13 AM
Gradient
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by strand rider
no, the water wetter product changes the surface tension of the water. I knocked off a couple of degrees after a bottle in the c5, but after some repairs, didn't have room to put the stuff in again. I plan on a return to use, didn't want to hassel toxic throw away to get the space.

The other stuff, is not water. As I understand the trade off of benefits, no corrosion against less heat carrying capacity . I think the main market is trucks.
In my understanding, the heat was one of the design issues of the ls engines, so, as attractive as this product is, nor for me. PLus it would make me look bad, one blown hose and I would be crying about a water refill to get home.

As I read the above comments from pcfred, i see my impressions need correcting. It appears to have superior heat carrying capacities.
I'm going to try it for a couple of reasons. First, no water means no pressure increase, therefore hoses last much longer and don't run the risk of bursting. Secondly, it cools better and from what I've read, won't become ionized like water if you have a bad ground. The ionized water destroys aluminium. Vettes are known for ground issues, so...

Just my two cents.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anybody tried this product?

Quick Reply: Has anybody tried this product?