Southern California Southern California

2014 Corvette Challenge Finale: DOWNLOAD !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:00 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Good seeing you guys. I wasn't in the Corvette Challenge... And didn't even bring my Corvette, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of watching my video. My fast was 1:30.137, but the microphone was off..... So this was my fastest lap with video.

Charley

Awesome car Charley. I love those Radicals... they are so... well, radical! I love the sound of the car.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:22 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's my fastest laps of the day, #2 is the 1:30.814 as per Speed Ventures timing ... T-Mobile was horrible with service there Sunday, so I got no data on this session :-/

Old 12-16-2014, 02:01 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Evolution-ary
Here's my fastest laps of the day, #2 is the 1:30.814 as per Speed Ventures timing ... T-Mobile was horrible with service there Sunday, so I got no data on this session :-/

WSIR FAST LAP, Dave Weckl, '07 ZO6 - 12_14_14 - YouTube

VERY Nice Dave!! Congrats again!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:02 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Good seeing you guys. I wasn't in the Corvette Challenge... And didn't even bring my Corvette, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of watching my video. My fast was 1:30.137, but the microphone was off..... So this was my fastest lap with video.

Charley

Willow Springs Dec 14 2014 - YouTube

VERY cool Charley!!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 AM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Dave great video! Would a car making significantly less power (say, 340rwhp), downshift into 3rd into turn 1? I should have asked Lloyd but I think I was already talkin his ear off with questions lol.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:27 AM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
Dave great video! Would a car making significantly less power (say, 340rwhp), downshift into 3rd into turn 1? I should have asked Lloyd but I think I was already talkin his ear off with questions lol.
I think it is a really marginal call in the C5 Z06 since gears 1-3 are so short.

Technically the apex speed of T1 even on a good tire would call for 3rd (it's probably between 80-90mph depending on tires), and you can use the power since the track gives you some banking to work between apex and track out (although it eventually decambers). It is also a bit uphill through the corner.

However, the speeds are such that you can't really engage 3rd until you are nearly turning into the corner (any earlier will overspeed the motor), and you need to grab 4th again pretty soon after the turn.

Most of the C5 race guys seem to use 4th, even the ones with the base trans ratios (longer 3rd). I mostly have done 3rd but yesterday I was mostly using 4th. Meh.

Generally if two different choices result in about the same laptime then choose the simpler one. But leaving it in 4th while chasing a lap time does mean that you really have to go for broke in terms of cornering speed since the car will have very little acceleration coming out of the corner.

Last edited by wtb-z; 12-16-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:34 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Here' my little effort on session 3, incorporating a few different angle...

Attached Images   

Last edited by jbsblownc5; 12-16-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Hollywood Extra
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a few laps from my fastest session. Charley, is that you in front of me? This was GREEN 3. If so, thanks for leading me to my personal best.

My external mic somehow got unplugged, so all you hear is wind noise from the mic on the camera.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Originally Posted by wtb-z
I think it is a really marginal call in the C5 Z06 since gears 1-3 are so short.

Technically the apex speed of T1 even on a good tire would call for 3rd (it's probably between 80-90mph depending on tires), and you can use the power since the track gives you some banking to work between apex and track out (although it eventually decambers). It is also a bit uphill through the corner.

However, the speeds are such that you can't really engage 3rd until you are nearly turning into the corner (any earlier will overspeed the motor), and you need to grab 4th again pretty soon after the turn.

Most of the C5 race guys seem to use 4th, even the ones with the base trans ratios (longer 3rd). I mostly have done 3rd but yesterday I was mostly using 4th. Meh.

Generally if two different choices result in about the same laptime then choose the simpler one. But leaving it in 4th while chasing a lap time does mean that you really have to go for broke in terms of cornering speed since the car will have very little acceleration coming out of the corner.
Thanks that makes sense. I should have kept it simple and used 4th, especially since I was learning the car and track. I was listening for your downshift into T1 but couldn't hear it, I figured it was just the stock exhaust. I should have just tried staying in 4th as I was unsettling the rear a bit by taching out 3rd on the downshift.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
Thanks!

Lloyd is certainly the one to ask regarding your question ... I know some folks downshift to 3rd in a C6 Z and ZR1 (I believe Stephanie does?), and at my speeds through T1 (relatively slow) I probably could as well and make up a few 10ths before T2, but I'm more focused at the moment to carry more speed through T1, without a downshift ...
Old 12-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Thanks!

Lloyd is certainly the one to ask regarding your question ... I know some folks downshift to 3rd in a C6 Z and ZR1 (I believe Stephanie does?), and at my speeds through T1 (relatively slow) I probably could as well and make up a few 10ths before T2, but I'm more focused at the moment to carry more speed through T1, without a downshift ...
I definitely heard Stephanie downshifting into 3rd. It looked like she wasn't heel toeing as her brake lights went off in between the downshift. On a bonzai run, every turn where there's a downshift, the driver would also heel-toe?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:45 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Charley
Nice to finally meet you Charley after following your 'radical transition' :-) That thing sure is cool ... was fun trying to stay with you all day!!

Originally Posted by Hollywood Extra
Here are a few laps from my fastest session. Charley, is that you in front of me? This was GREEN 3. If so, thanks for leading me to my personal best.

My external mic somehow got unplugged, so all you hear is wind noise from the mic on the camera.
Nice Nick!! ... We're almost identical in our speeds around the course! We gotta run together! Hey, what are you using for data acq? Solo DL? I think I gotta bail on my iPhone .. besides it not being very accurate, it plain doesn't work if Cell service is out!

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
COOL Vid Joel!! That was fun! Man your car sounds awesome! What set up you running exhaust wise??
Old 12-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Awesome car Charley. I love those Radicals... they are so... well, radical! I love the sound of the car.
Thanks Oli! I know the car has a lot more speed in it than I am currently tapping into...but it sure is a lot of fun learning how to drive it.

Originally Posted by Hollywood Extra

Willow Springs, Speed Ventures, Corvette Challenge - GREEN 3 - YouTube
Yes, That's me. Congratulations on a great lap. You were really fast out there

Nice to finally meet you Charley after following your 'radical transition' :-) That thing sure is cool ... was fun trying to stay with you all day!!

Great Meeting you also. I had a great time out on the track with you guys!

Charley
Old 12-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5

C6 & Z06 take a few laps at Willow Springs!! - YouTube
Great video Joel. I like how you integrated the external view!

Charley
Old 12-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Default Red 3

Here's another view of Red 3, with Joel and I having some fun, chasing Charley (and Kevin somewhere in the distance, and out of the shot by T3!) ... Rich P hangin' in on PSS's behind me....

Although I finally got cell service, and data on this session, there are some anomalies.... the gearing is screwed until T2 .. somehow my red line got moved from 7k to 6400 on my template .. the track map looks like a 4 year old drew it .... and the best lap time is not right ... 1:31.6 was official (almost a second off my PB earlier in the day) ... anyway, a few decent laps and good video of Joel! (you were right DH, I should have bought your DL!!)

Last edited by Evolution-ary; 12-16-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

(you were right DH, I should have bought your DL!!)
Yep. Joel bought it but looks like he didn't use it unless he is going to post more video with overlays ........................

DH
Old 12-17-2014, 01:35 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Great video Joel. I like how you integrated the external view!

Charley
Thanks Charley!!

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Corvette Challenge Finale: DOWNLOAD !!

Old 12-17-2014, 01:37 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

COOL Vid Joel!! That was fun! Man your car sounds awesome! What set up you running exhaust wise??
Thanks Dave, I recently switched to the B&B fusion exhaust.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:38 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Yep. Joel bought it but looks like he didn't use it unless he is going to post more video with overlays ........................

DH
I had it on, and did capture the data, but still don't know how to edit it...
Old 12-17-2014, 01:39 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Here's another view of Red 3, with Joel and I having some fun, chasing Charley (and Kevin somewhere in the distance, and out of the shot by T3!) ... Rich P hangin' in on PSS's behind me....

Although I finally got cell service, and data on this session, there are some anomalies.... the gearing is screwed until T2 .. somehow my red line got moved from 7k to 6400 on my template .. the track map looks like a 4 year old drew it .... and the best lap time is not right ... 1:31.6 was official (almost a second off my PB earlier in the day) ... anyway, a few decent laps and good video of Joel! (you were right DH, I should have bought your DL!!)

WSIR - Red 3 - 12_14_14 - YouTube

GREAT job Dave!!!

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Challenge Finale: DOWNLOAD !!