Southern California Southern California

Irvine Cars and Coffe

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 11:06 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by djdinoe
Irvine PD don't mess around...hopefully a new location would be established soon..
sometimes i wonder why i live in irvine ( ohh thats right i got 2 kids in school still )

damnn IPD got me 2 smog reff tickets in the last 8 months ( thanks a lot ) both got written off off coarse
Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAK
sometimes i wonder why i live in irvine ( ohh thats right i got 2 kids in school still )

damnn IPD got me 2 smog reff tickets in the last 8 months ( thanks a lot ) both got written off off coarse
I never knew city cops could write smog tickets?? Did they pop your hood?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:47 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
I never knew city cops could write smog tickets?? Did they pop your hood?
yes they pull over Hooked up cars and make you pop the hood, if you say no they will tow
Old 12-30-2014, 11:50 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

yes they pull over Hooked up cars and make you pop the hood, if you say no they will tow
When did this start happening??? Like wtf?!?!

Is this standard? What city's? All? Just Irvine?
Old 12-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

sounds like a violation of the 4th amendment to me, during my 35 years as an LEO never heard of such a thing. U need a little thing called Probable Cause. The California Vehicle Code defines exactly what conditions a vehicle can be towed from a public roadway. Contempt of cop is not among them.
There must be more to this story
Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Originally Posted by pauldana
When did this start happening??? Like wtf?!?!

Is this standard? What city's? All? Just Irvine?
this been going on for a while now.. if your car look suspect they will make u pop ur hood and do a visual check to see if they can see anything missing or disconnected ( smog stuff ) and if you have a CAI or HEaders you gotta have CARB sticker if not you will be sent to a SMOG REFEREE

this mostly happens in IRVINE/MISSION VIEJO/ALISO/Newports and also Huntington Beach and westminster area
Old 12-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

this mostly happens in IRVINE/MISSION VIEJO/ALISO/Newports and also Huntington Beach and westminster area

Thanks for the warning.....
Old 12-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Varmit
sounds like a violation of the 4th amendment to me, during my 35 years as an LEO never heard of such a thing. U need a little thing called Probable Cause. The California Vehicle Code defines exactly what conditions a vehicle can be towed from a public roadway. Contempt of cop is not among them.
There must be more to this story
Benny - Earlier this year, my son (27 yrs old) was driving his Subaru WRX from work in Newport Beach to his town home in Irvine. He's a CPA and he was dressed in business attire. His car has a no tinted side windows and a front license plate. He was stopped by Irvine PD to check for performance modifications, not for speeding or any traffic violations. The car is completely stock except for a cat back muffler system. There was no probable cause for the traffic stop and I believe it was harassment by Irvine PD. The LEO ran his license and checked under the hood then let him drive away. IMHO - Not Cool!

Last edited by Keith N; 12-31-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:00 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Hmm; never had that happen. IPD does have a 'rep'.

In the absence of real crime...........

Outside of a 'smoker', since when is any cop an expert on SMOG gear required for ANY car or remotely qualified to give a visual inspection of same?
Old 12-31-2014, 02:01 AM
78PC
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default No pc needed

"In 2002, the California Health and Safety Code added Section 44081, which was meant to give the code and existing smog laws some “teeth.” This specific section gives police officers in California the authority to randomly stop vehicles to “ensure their compliance with state smog laws.” The first portion of the section reads:

44081. (a) (1) The department, in cooperation with the state board, shall institute procedures for auditing the emissions of vehicles while actually being driven on the streets and highways of the state. The department may undertake those procedures itself or seek a qualified vendor of these services. The primary object of the procedures shall be the detection of gross polluters. The procedures shall consist of techniques and technologies determined to be effective for that purpose by the department, including, but not limited to, remote sensing. The procedures may include pullovers for roadside emissions testing and inspection."

Originally Posted by Keith N
Benny - Earlier this year, my son (27 yrs old) was driving his Subaru WRX from work in Newport Beach to his town home in Irvine. He's a CPA and he was dressed in business attire. His car has a no tinted side windows and a front license plate. He was stopped by Irvine PD to check for performance modifications, not for speeding or any traffic violations. The car is completely stock except for a cat back muffler system. There was no probable cause for the traffic stop and I believe it was harassment by Irvine PD. The LEO ran his license and checked under the hood then let hime drive away. IMHO - Not Cool!
Old 12-31-2014, 01:22 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by 78PC

44081. (a) (1) The primary object of the procedures shall be the detection of gross polluters. The procedures shall consist of techniques and technologies determined to be effective for that purpose by the department, including, but not limited to, remote sensing. The procedures may include pullovers for roadside emissions testing and inspection."
A "gross polluter" would emit visible emissions. To stop someone based on "vehicle profiling" does not comply with the "spirit of the law" and a good lawyer out for blood could see a class action case here.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:17 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

"In 2002, the California Health and Safety Code added Section 44081, which was meant to give the code and existing smog laws some “teeth.” This specific section gives police officers in California the authority to randomly stop vehicles to “ensure their compliance with state smog laws.” The first portion of the section reads:

44081. (a) (1) The department, in cooperation with the state board, shall institute procedures for auditing the emissions of vehicles while actually being driven on the streets and highways of the state. The department may undertake those procedures itself or seek a qualified vendor of these services. The primary object of the procedures shall be the detection of gross polluters. The procedures shall consist of techniques and technologies determined to be effective for that purpose by the department, including, but not limited to, remote sensing. The procedures may include pullovers for roadside emissions testing and inspection."
I see that it states the intention of the law is the detection of gross polluters. Does not some suspicion have to be present. How does the cop determine a gross polluter if he has no objective indications of such. For that matter he could pull over a prius to inspect. Once stopped how does he make that determination. Does a CAI qualify as a gross polluter. How could a cat back exhaust come close to a gross polluter. I was an leo for 35 years and this to me looks like an excuse to exercise excessive authority. Does the state of CA have the authority to over ride the 4th, I thinks this needs to be challenged
Old 12-31-2014, 11:33 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Varmit
I thinks this needs to be challenged
So do I, but it'll take some deep pockets. In this PC Amerika, who is going to stand up for anyone who has a fun car, however hot-rodded (or not) it is?

Hell, we heard of calls to CHP made about racing Corvettes on Antonio Pkwy. in Ladera Ranch, recently and any of us on that Blockhead Corvette drive were head-scratching at that one. I believe it is some Puritan or Prius driver who decries ANY fun car and it's driver.

I am quite certain that 'sports car profiling' isn't contained in any discrimination law, but SEMA may have some ideas and/or clout.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:36 PM
darnplumber
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doughnut Derilicks in Huntington Beach is alive and well.... but be there by 5:30 if you want a good spot.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:05 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

The new site may become the District. I got a note that some guys gathered there this morning, but I went to Monarch Bay, where I also heard that statement.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:39 PM
fruitsalad
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

This governs roadside smog checks, which are not compulsory and do not result in penalties for failure. Can you provide the CAVC section that indicates "modification checks" are primary probable cause for a traffic stop?
Old 01-18-2015, 11:39 PM
MrGTC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
The new site may become the District. I got a note that some guys gathered there this morning, but I went to Monarch Bay, where I also heard that statement.
Keep us posted. Planned on attending the last one on the 27th before I heard it got shut down
Old 01-20-2015, 10:03 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by darnplumber
Doughnut Derilicks in Huntington Beach is alive and well.... but be there by 5:30 if you want a good spot.
oft am there; once/month or so, anyway.

Different mix of cars with less exotics (and checkwiters) but more real car guys with rods, collectors, radicals, in progress, etc.

CnC: http://irvine.carsandcoffee.info/ Nothing firm posted yet, and I don't 'do' f*c*b**k.

Quick Reply: Irvine Cars and Coffe