Southern California Southern California

Canyon/Roadcourse Video with 600 HP H/C C6!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:11 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Canyon/Roadcourse Video with 600 HP H/C C6!!

I got out to Willow Springs this past Saturday, and put in 3 good sessions. I think I'm getting just a bit slower as I get older, still had fun! Took a shortcut through the canyons on the way home, and had a VERY good "forth session"!

The CMS tuned car ran GREAT all day on the track, though the Angeles Crest, down the freeway, and back up the mountain to Idyllwild!!!

The video is 12 minutes long, but in my biased opinion, worth the watch!!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:18 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,223 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
I got out to Willow Springs this past Saturday, and put in 3 good sessions. I think I'm getting just a bit slower as I get older, still had fun! Took a shortcut through the canyons on the way home, and had a VERY good "forth session"!

The CMS tuned car ran GREAT all day on the track, though the Angeles Crest, down the freeway, and back up the mountain to Idyllwild!!!

The video is 12 minutes long, but in my biased opinion, worth the watch!!

600 HP H/C C6 Chasing Vipers at Willow springs! - YouTube
Thanks for sharing car sounds
Old 04-06-2015, 01:24 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by oldC5
Great video! I like how that guy early on gestured for you to pass on the right.Is that tunnel at the end Angeles Forest Highway?

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 04-06-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:45 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

very nice like always.....
Old 04-06-2015, 11:43 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
very nice like always.....
Thanks Ryne!! As usual, I railed the car down the straights, and your tune kept her happy all day!

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
Great video! I like how that guy early on gestured for you to pass on the right.Is that tunnel at the end Angeles Forest Highway?
Thanks, that Tunnel is not the one at the end, but just past were the little restaurant used to be that burned down...

Originally Posted by oldC5
No problem, and thanks for posting up!!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:44 PM
bizzmeister
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-09-2015, 11:46 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by bizzmeister
Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing!
No problem, thanks for posting up...
Old 04-09-2015, 12:17 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
Thanks Ryne!! Thanks, that Tunnel is not the one at the end, but just past were the little restaurant used to be that burned down...
The Hidden Springs cafe that burned down in the Station Fire?
Old 04-09-2015, 02:15 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

The Hidden Springs cafe that burned down in the Station Fire?
Yes, that's the one...
Old 04-14-2015, 07:41 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default It is always fascinating how different people's lines can be on big Willow!

I do things completely different out there and should one day set up video so I can show and tell what i think are my tricks. Example going into the long sweeper Turn 9, I come in tight but let it travel to the outside because it widens out initially and then hold it there taking a slightly bigger arc, but at a faster speed preventing someone from thinking about diving under, starting at about the building- it starts to turn, but I hold it out there even though the inclination is to early apex because it kind of chokes down and tightens as the radius decreases down (tighter), but I continue holding it outside resisting the temptation and then I chop down late apex hit on the apex markers, so I have used a big portion of that turn for acceleration out of the turn and onto the straight. I pick up rpms and speed for the straight. Turn one is actually the most difficult turn! I go hot and late for my setup into Turn 1, but starting from the outside I angle straight across the end straight diagonally diving full on late braking hard (very hard in a straight line) toward an early apex point, then make sure I am oriented and then I apex as I hammer the go pedal (for a relatively blind to the driver because of the turns crest) taking a very wide exit (and hopefully not too wide!). I have learned to just trust that there is more road there on the turn exit, even though you can't see it initially! I saw the Vintage Racing Can Am guys doing that, so I copied them! I would have to draw a picture to show what I tried to explain, if the description of the technic is lost in trasnslation! Off of the top (turn 4), I hang outside along the Club House and chop down there also (unless someone is glued to my tail!) and then very late apex turn 5 also, full throttle on for that little left and I can usually set up a pass of a comparable car there every time.

Coming out of Willows, taken many a mountain cruise like yours, but have you exited off the 14 where Peaceful Valley/Action is and come over the mountains to Hwy. 2? Also another is exiting Willows out the southwest, you can cut through some nice back roads coming out at the Castaic lake off of Hwy 5. There is a really nice tight twisty through the river canyon near the Prison and then it is all high speed over the mountain range. I could tell that you had the capability of going a whole lot faster if you so chose to, very nice spirited run!!!!

A lot of good roads, I am talking about the purple one from Action N3! Which might be where you were already in your footage! But a lot of those even Misc roads and Tujunga start looking the same! Hwy 2 especially and generally big Tujunga are too patrolled, but I have blown thru there later than or earlier than the tourist, which is fun!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-16-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:00 PM
LA STIG
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

The first Viper (number 46) was a Gen V and had a passenger (student) which is why Joel was let by, and thanks for noticing the courtesy move. The other Viper (number 88) was an earlier generation on street tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Canyon/Roadcourse Video with 600 HP H/C C6!!

Quick Reply: Canyon/Roadcourse Video with 600 HP H/C C6!!