Southern California Southern California

Rinseless Water-Saving Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:34 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rinseless Water-Saving Car Wash

Hey Southern California people. Since this drought doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon, I wanted to share this link from the C7 forum for a very quick and effective way to wash your car. I've been doing this technique for a few months and it gets great results while only using 2-3 gallons of water. As an added bonus, it only takes about 15-20 minutes.

I'm sure a lot of you are already aware of this but I wanted to bring it up since water-saving is getting more and more critical.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...seriously.html
Old 04-29-2015, 02:55 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Algiers
Hey Southern California people. Since this drought doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon, I wanted to share this link from the C7 forum for a very quick and effective way to wash your car. I've been doing this technique for a few months and it gets great results while only using 2-3 gallons of water. As an added bonus, it only takes about 15-20 minutes.

I'm sure a lot of you are already aware of this but I wanted to bring it up since water-saving is getting more and more critical.

I have a better way, and water consumed is about one pint, or less.

To begin with, I have owned vehicles for the better part of 60 years, and not one of them ever saw a car wash.
The only time they ever saw any kind of soap was before a major detailing job.
The only thing soap does, is eat away at the wax coating.
Now, especially here in SoCal, where it hardly ever rains, my system is just about full proof.

First off, detail the car, which means claying,and a final wax job.
After that, a couple of times a week, take a damp rag, wipe an area about 3 feet, then buff with a good dry soft rag.
Do this preferably in the shade, and when the finish is cool.
Never do this in the sun.
Once every two weeks apply MeGuairs ultimate detail spray in the black bottle.

This system has had all my vehicles, regardless of age, including my present C5, looking better than they did when new.
Here is a sample of some of my vehicles.
With this system, they always look like this.

Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 04-29-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 PM
LinxuSx
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
I have a better way, and water consumed is about one pint, or less.

After that, a couple of times a week, take a damp rag, wipe an area about 3 feet, then buff with a good dry soft rag.

Bob.
Hopefully you're putting something on that "damp rag" otherwise I bet you have swirls galore.

Alternatively, if you want to do it right and do another great solution to a "waterless wash", check out Optimum No Rinse. I use 1 bucket to wash my whole car and there are no issues with scratching the paint and swirls.

Amazon.com: Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz.: Automotive
Old 04-29-2015, 11:42 PM
briank17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Get Chadwicked.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:54 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LinxuSx
Hopefully you're putting something on that "damp rag" otherwise I bet you have swirls galore.

Alternatively, if you want to do it right and do another great solution to a "waterless wash", check out Optimum No Rinse. I use 1 bucket to wash my whole car and there are no issues with scratching the paint and swirls.

Amazon.com: Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz.: Automotive
I been doing this the better part of 50 years, and I have never had swirls.
The damp rag has just minimal amount of water (that;s why it is only damp), and because of the claying done first, the finish is smooth, and nothing sticks to it.
Therefore, when it is wiped with the damp rag, then buffed with the dry one, the finish remains smooth, and swirl free.
Bob.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LinxuSx

Amazon.com: Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz.: Automotive
That's what I usually use. I've also tried the Blackfire Rinseless with great results as well. I think there are a lot of good ones out there and they are all safe to use on waxes and sealants. I do a fairly serious detail process and wouldn't use anything that would strip it off.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:12 PM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Algiers

I rarely wash my C6 Vert. I just go over the car with Adam's Detail Spray every other day or so after I drive the car. I never drive my Vette in the rain and I park it in my garage with a WOLF car cover.

Palomar Mountain in San Diego County, southern California.<br/><br/>Photo by Rick Clempson Photography

Oh yeah, and I always park far away from everyone where ever I go....
Old 05-13-2015, 01:34 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

My 2003 C5 has only been in a car wash only once, in well over a year; since I started using Chadwick's products.

Don
Old 05-13-2015, 08:02 AM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by lkelliott
I rarely wash my C6 Vert. I just go over the car with Adam's Detail Spray every other day or so after I drive the car. I never drive my Vette in the rain and I park it in my garage with a WOLF car cover.

Palomar Mountain in San Diego County, southern California.<br/><br/>Photo by Rick Clempson Photography

Oh yeah, and I always park far away from everyone where ever I go....
Ditto , use same product .

Get notified of new replies

To Rinseless Water-Saving Car Wash

Quick Reply: Rinseless Water-Saving Car Wash