Southern California Southern California

2015 NASA ST2 (WeST2) Race Reports

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 06:29 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 2015 NASA ST2 (WeST2) Race Reports

Going to start this thread to post our Western NASA ST2 race reports. Our norcal buddy has already started a thread in their regional sub-forum and I always looked forward to reading the posts. So here we go:

For immediate release: Hall & Tway score multiple podium finishes at Buttonwillow

Quick Summary
The weekend of April 18th marked the first race for the rebuilt PA Construction Corvette. Quick summary, we took home a 4th place and 3rd place finish in ST1 racing, which included a pole position award and a hard charger award (most positions gained from start to finish). In Time Trials, we took home a 2nd place finish in TTU (unlimited class) and 1st place finish in TT1. And most importantly, the car was driven back on the trailer Sunday night.

The Build
This offseason, the Corvette went through a comprehensive rebuild aimed at creating a reliable but also, no excuses build for NASA Super Touring 2. The build included a forged LS6 motor with custom cam and headwork from American Heritage Performance. We added aFe Power Tri-Y headers to help the power band and put on some Trackspec Hood Louvers to handle all the additional heat. Additionally, Tway Motorsports installed all there custom aero kits and suspension updates from Pfadt Controls, as well as adding a 4 stage dry sump to increase the longevity of the motor.

Dry sump, check. Headers, check. America, check!

The Weekend

Our game plan was to run in the Super Touring 2 race class, an 8 to 1 wt/hp class. The car makes a little more power than needed for ST2, so we detuned it a bit on the engine dyno. However, we discovered the Friday before that the engine wasn’t running correctly on that tune. Instead of heading home, we opted to run in the higher ST1 race class, which is 5.5 to 1 wt/hp, where our unrestricted engine tune was working fine. We would be hilariously out gunned in horsepower, but at least we'd be on track.

The PA Construction Corvette ready to set pole.

To my surprise, we were able to put the car on pole for the Saturday race with a 1:49.4. Seems the rest of the ST1 field was sandbagging in qualifying. After a snafu at pre-grid, part our fault for showing up late with only 1 minute to spare, we had to start at the back of the field. But not only the back of the ST1 group, the back of the BMW Club race group, who took a second green flag about 45 seconds behind our group. This sucked, but made a great opportunity for Robert to work on his racecraft. Buttonwillow is not an easy track to overtake. Starting from DFL (dead f*#^ing last as we like to call it), Robert moved the PA Construction Corvette from 33rd place up to 15th place overall, and finished 4th in Super Touring 1. It was great accomplishment.

Robert Hall piloting the car into the esses at Buttonwillow.

Sunday morning, we experienced an electrical gremlin with the throttle body and missed qualifying. We traced it to either a bad connection or the throttle control computer getting heat soaked. We would start DFL in ST1, but at least with within the correct group, first green flag. The pole sitter set down a qualifying lap of 1:46.7, 3 seconds faster than any lap we put down all weekend. P2 through P5 had all set qualifying times in the 1:50’s, so expectations were to fight for a podium step.

The green flag fell and it was futile trying to beat the higher horsepower cars to the first corner. P4 and P3 were converted Nascar Trucks. Lots of power, no grip. I had to focus on my corner speeds to get around them. It took 2 laps to clear both of them, but by that time, P2 and P1 had checked out.

Slingshot engaged.

Best I could do was get within 3 seconds of P2. I pushed hard, but the over drove the car a bit causing the A6 tires to go away. I had to back off to ensure our 3rd place finish.

Our first race weekend in the books. The car ran great on track, albeit the electrical issue and tune. Both have been sorted out already. Thanks to all our sponsors for the support to get us on track and be successful. We now have our sights set on Auto Club Speedway on May 16th and 17th!
Old 05-02-2015, 03:33 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep I try to stay current with the NorCal Race Reports.
I'm glad you started this one too because it provides another view.

Congrats!
Keep the updates coming
Old 05-02-2015, 08:08 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Jim, Great write-up!

I have a C6 Z06 that I run in a lot of HPDE events but never NASA and have been interested running in the NASA TT series but after sifting through the 3-4 different convoluted websites and 180+ pages of rules I'm always a bit confused. haha. I understand most of it but still left with a couple questions.

Maybe you can help me out to get started? I just have a few questions...

For the TT series what safety equipment is required for a Stock C6 Z06? Do I need a full cage? Do I need a full one-piece fire suit? (I already have 6-point, hans, 2 piece 5 layer fire suit, and current helmet and belts).

And if there are 5+ competitors does the Hoosier Tire contingency apply to the TT? Or is it only the ST classes?
Old 05-03-2015, 01:14 PM
jimtway
Racer

dapopa,

You can run TT with the same equipment required for HPDE. Of course I don't recommend running in anything less than a SFI rated suit, 5/6 point belts and hans. A roll bar is also a simple upgrade for C5s and C6s. There are many bolt in options out there.

The Hoosier and Hawk contingencies apply to TT classes too! Bare minimum # of competitors is 5 for Hoosier.

The next event is at Auto Club Speedway in 2 weeks.

-Jim
Old 05-03-2015, 08:15 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jimtway
A roll bar is also a simple upgrade for C5s and C6s. There are many bolt in options out there.

The Hoosier and Hawk contingencies apply to TT classes too! Bare minimum # of competitors is 5 for Hoosier.

The next event is at Auto Club Speedway in 2 weeks.

-Jim
Jim, are there any bolt ins that you would recommend? I was just at ACS yesterday and 127mph min speed in the oval turn definitely made me wonder what happens when a tire eventually lets go.

I have seen stuff for the C5 that didn't seem like a good idea for a street car (bar next to head). Not sure if there is anything that can really fit the FRC roof profile though.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:51 PM
jimtway
Racer

Finally got around to summing up our weekend back on 5/16/2015. The PA Construction Corvette took down the Auto Club Speedway Super Touring 2 (ST-2) lap record with time of 1:44.945. Robert placed 1st in Time Trials TT-2 class on Saturday. And on Sunday, I swept the Time Trials TT-2 class and ST-2 Race in an epic battle with a last lap pass.

The #57 PA Construction Corvette testing out its new ST-2 tune.

Saturday Events
Robert grabbed the wheel for the morning’s first Time Trial session. Robert ran some great laps, but came in early high engine temps and noting a terrible push. It didn’t take much investigating to discover the problem. The front end splitter was completely shredded, and bent up blocking the radiator inlet. We reviewed the video and discovered the nose splitter let go going through the chicane at turn 10. Turn 10 is known by drivers as the non-chicane, due to that turn not being coned off and drivers cutting the corner running through the curbing. We were just kissing the bottom of the nose running off that curb every lap, and eventually ran out of material. I've done over a 1000 miles at ACS and have never had this problem before. Here’s video of the splitter self jettisoning:

Saturday Grid. One of these is not like the others.

We missed qualifying tending to the damage. I swapped out the splitter with a spare, while also raising the ride height on all four corners for more clearance. All repaired, I started the race at the back in P9. On the start, I got a decent jump and picked off a few positions in lap 1. Slowly and surely, I had moved my way up to P3 by lap 6, and was reeling in the leaders by a couple seconds a lap, setting up for hopefully some last lap heroics. However, the spare splitter had other plans as it disintegrated in turn 1 a few laps later retiring the car. Here’s the full Race-Keeper video of Saturday’s race:

Saturday was rough, but Robert walked away with a win in Time Trials, and I broke the Super Touring 2 lap record in the race before retiring.

Sunday Events
Out of spare splitters, we went to Home Depot for “race supplies”. I fabricated and installed a new splitter from Home Depot’s most exotic composite. I also went ahead and changed all the aFe Power/Pfadt shocks to full stiff hoping to solve the splitter contact issues through turn 10.

Home Depot motorsports to the rescue.

Through the first two Time Trial sessions the splitter showed no signs of wear. Confidently, I headed to qualifying and put the car in P2, just 0.060 seconds behind the pole sitter Stephanie Cemo.

At the race start, I got a great jump and vaulted into the lead. Pole sitter Cemo was able to take back the lead on lap 2 with a good run onto the oval. Over the next ten laps, I was glued to the bumper of Cemo. I made a couple pass attempts into turn 1, but both were well defended by Cemo. Cemo in a newer C6 Corvette Z06, had much more torque in her 6.2L V8, and that was apparent coming out of corners. Our later model C5 Corvette has a smaller 5.7L V8, but we had much better stopping power with our Essex AP Endurance kit, and made up our time in the braking zones. The last two laps it was clear Cemo was braking earlier and I started looking for an opportunity. Heading into turn 9 on the last lap, I caught Cemo napping and took the inside braking line, claiming the lead at last, and holding on to victory.

Turn 9 pass for the win.

Video of last lap pass from Cemo’s in car:

Race-Keeper video from Jim’s in car:

By the end of the weekend, we had swept both days in Time Trials and took home a win and a track record in the Super Touring race group. A newly designed splitter has already been installed and we are ready to head north to Sonoma for round 4 of the Western ST2 Race Series next weekend.

Last edited by jimtway; 06-30-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:28 AM
jimtway
Racer

Default 7/30/2015 - Laguna Seca Raceway - NASA Super Touring Western States Championships

On July 30th, we took the PA Construction Corvette to Laguna Seca Raceway for the Western States NASA National Championships. The format for this championship event was spread out over three days. I piloted the race car in the Super Touring 2 race group, where NASA scheduled a qualifying session, two heat races and a championship race for the weekend. Robert drove the car in Time Trials, which was scheduled for three sessions per day.

The PA Construction Corvette dropping down the world famous corkscrew.

Time Trials
Robert absolutely dominated the weekend in Time Trials 2. We had decided that we would use Saturday’s sessions to develop the car. This strategy was also to help Robert get more familiar with the track, as he hadn’t been on Laguna Seca in years, and never in a high horsepower car. That said, Robert went home Saturday leading TT-2 by 0.5 seconds, while only running on old tires. Sunday morning's session was prime for a fast lap. Cool temperatures usually equate to higher horsepower and better grip, compared to a later afternoon session. We put on good tires for this session. When it was all said and done, Robert had bested his previous class leading lap by almost a second, running a 1:35.1. Nearest competitor was 1:36.5. By the end of the day, Robert’s morning lap would hold up bringing home Robert and the PA Construction Corvette’s first national title.

Robert winning one for America!

Here’s his championship winning lap:

Racing
The Super Touring 2 class saw an impressive 13 entrants. As you may recall, the last time I turned a wheel on the track at Laguna was in the back of an ambulance. Nonetheless, I was able to place the car 5th at the end of qualifying on Friday.

Jim on grid ready for the heat race.

Heat Race #1
Starting from the 3rd row in the heat race, I was jumped by a turbo Miata on the green flag, I think the same one from Auto Club Speedway earlier this year. I couldn’t tell because it drove by me so fast. In turn 2, I was able to slip past fellow Corvette driver Lee, but Lee returned the favor in turn 11 right before the straight. On lap 2, the turbo Miata decided to puke it's engine contents all over the track, severely obscuring the my windshield and almost sending me off in turn 4. A few corners later, another Corvette driver Evan, had his engine shutdown and I was able to slip into the 4th spot. So we were two laps into the race and things were going great. I settled into a groove but was losing sight of Lee in 3rd, and allowing the 5th place Amir, driving a Toyota turbo Supra, reel me in. By mid race Amir had caught up and started challenging me for the position. We had a great back in forth for the last 8 laps, but I was able to hold on to 4th.

Race-Keeper video from Friday's heat race:

Dang, this car was working great yesterday. Must make turn.

Heat Race #2
The car was pushing terribly during Friday's heat race, so I spent the morning making suspension and aerodynamic changes. This was the start of a face palming moment later that day. With the changes made, I started the Saturday heat race in 6th, based on fast lap from the previous heat race. At the green flag, I was able to out maneuver Amir for 5th. We went side by side all the way into turn 5, but I had inside position and was able to take him leading up the hill. I then moved into 4th when Evan’s engine shut down for the second day in a row. I now had Chuck, running 3rd, in my sights. I made a few good runs on him going into turn 2, but couldn’t complete any of the passes. By mid race, Chuck and I had reeled in Lee running in 2nd. Chuck took Lee to the inside of turn 2, and Lee looped the car, allowing Chuck and I to move up into 2nd and 3rd respectively. About this time, my tires went away and Chuck pulled a good gap on me. We would ultimately finish that way.

Here is Saturday's heat race:

Championship Race
After the two rounds of heat races, I had garnered enough points to put the PA Construction Corvette in 3rd for the main event. The car still wasn’t turning well. We were about to make some more setup changes when we noticed the front tires we received from Hoosier were incorrect. Cue face palm. They had sent us hard compound tires for the front, and soft compound (sticky) tires for the rear. This explained all the understeer I experienced in the heat races, but not in practice where we were on older, but correct compound tires. While very upset with myself for not noticing this earlier, I was very relieved to know the car had the speed to podium, and maybe even give Bill who put the car on pole, a run for the top step.

All this would be for not. The car decided to not start on grid for the main event Sunday. I was helpless and had to watch the entire grid drive by me onto the track. Turns out we were bested by a $0.50 resistor in the ignition system. Sometimes that is racing.

That sad moment when your friends leave without you.

Congratulations to Bill Brinkop, Chuck Matthews and Lee Ariota who all finished on the podium in that order. It's been a quick season since getting the new PA Construction Corvette together. We have one more NASA series race at Buttonwillow in October, followed by the Pacific Coast Road Racing Championship at Auto Club Speedway. I'm already at work getting the car ready, having already ripped all the GM wiring harnesses out of the car, vowing to not be stopped by a ten cent part again.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 NASA ST2 (WeST2) Race Reports

Quick Reply: 2015 NASA ST2 (WeST2) Race Reports