Southern California Southern California

Camarillo AutoX Sunday Aug 16

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by LA STIG
I've got some spare gasoline so I thought I'd throw it on this fire.

So, you guys brought all this big iron and I decided to be more elegant and bring the pea shooter ILX (which "X" means autocross, right). Of course you're going to be faster and have lower times in high horsepower, fat tired, sports cars. That's a given. How can you not go fast in such a car? Now, you take the ILX, a four-door car and the only modification was the competition stripes, which I thought were pretty classy. My best time was a 42.6. Let's compare the differences in the cars and see if it was really that much slower than all the big iron. First, it has front wheel drive (or "wrong wheel drive", as Rod Bean says). That has to count for about 1.8 seconds. Second, it was an automatic so another .8 of a second. Third, it wouldn't hold second gear which easily cost me a second, probably more. Fourth, it had only 201 horsepower, which is no more than half of any Corvette out there. Let's say that cost me 1.9 seconds, to be conservative. The tires on the ILX were skinny little things so probably a half second there and they had a 2,000 treadwear rating so that would explain another two seconds lost. Add it all up and my adjusted time was 35.1. The math doesn't lie.
So you have no excuse not to dominate the field next time in your Viper. We shall see

DH
Old 08-19-2015, 08:41 PM
LA STIG
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
So you have no excuse not to dominate the field next time in your Viper. We shall see

DH
The Viper is WAY too much car for Autocross which is why I brought the ILX to the last one. Believe me it was just as much fun to run the ILX as it was the Viper and way cheaper on the infrastructure. That being said I may take the Viper back to Camarillo in the next AX but I will NOT be on the R7's because I don't think they are better than the Corsas and now that the car is lowered I'm hoping that it will finally be able to put down some power. But the ILX is still my backup and maybe I'll put my 22 year old daughter in it and see if she can **** off somebody. So I've got that going for me.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:34 PM
LA STIG
Racer

Originally Posted by BLW BY
Teacher, you forgot the most important variable-----THE DRIVER.
That's got to cost you 6 seconds right there.
Aw, shucks. You're making me blush. I held the effect of the driver as a constant, "centerus paribus" (all other things held constant) and focused just on the analog variables. As I'm sure you would've.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:35 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

The Viper is WAY too much car for Autocross which is why I brought the ILX to the last one. Believe me it was just as much fun to run the ILX as it was the Viper and way cheaper on the infrastructure. That being said I may take the Viper back to Camarillo in the next AX but I will NOT be on the R7's because I don't think they are better than the Corsas and now that the car is lowered I'm hoping that it will finally be able to put down some power. But the ILX is still my backup and maybe I'll put my 22 year old daughter in it and see if she can **** off somebody. So I've got that going for me.
I will be bringing my son in his V6 Camaro.

DH
Old 08-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DH
When is the next one, anyway?
Old 08-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Evolution-ary
When is the next one, anyway?
Sept 19/20 but I think thats a CC weekend

DH
Old 08-20-2015, 05:39 PM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

DH

I'll bring the wife's 4000 lbs. Camaro and pit it against Stig's viper.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:58 PM
LA STIG
Racer

I'll bring the wife's 4000 lbs. Camaro and pit it against Stig's viper.
You'll have no less fun in the Camaro than I did in the ILX. Go for it!
Old 08-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sept 19/20 but I think thats a CC weekend

DH
Well, I'll miss both ... out of town then ... I cannot find a schedule for rest of the year either ... already wrote to Darren ... maybe he only does it month to month?

Have fun boys, in Sept.. and stay out of Stig's way in that Acura!
Old 08-22-2015, 12:38 AM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

We need to get the group to an El Toro or Fontana event...
Old 08-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Looks like I did hit some cones. No marks on the car but both rear wheels have scuff marks or should I say cone material transfer. Will come off with a little polish.

So I guess I have to learn how to rotate the car around the cones

DH
Old 08-22-2015, 11:34 AM
LA STIG
Racer

Looks like I did hit some cones. No marks on the car but both rear wheels have scuff marks or should I say cone material transfer. Will come off with a little polish.

DH
Don't be so hard on yourself, DH. Everything's fine as long as you don't have floss pieces of cones from your teeth.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:40 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

DH
Great to see you guys doing auto-x! I remember when I was auto-xing in my C5Z and a few weeks later found a cone stuffed up between my radiator and the plastic shroud.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:28 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Check out this event. High energy and no work. This event is fun. I'm just going Saturday. Karen is driving too.
http://www.powermallstore.com/Autocr...a-CA_c_16.html

Steve
Old 08-24-2015, 11:09 PM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

You'll have no less fun in the Camaro than I did in the ILX. Go for it!
Forget ILX, you'll need to bring your modified Viper SRT to compete with a box stock Camaro made by GM.

I wouldn't sell the Camaro that short, I bet I turn about the same times I do in the Vette.

Remember, teacher, it's 90% driver and 10% car.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:07 PM
LA STIG
Racer

Forget ILX, you'll need to bring your modified Viper SRT to compete with a box stock Camaro made by GM.

I wouldn't sell the Camaro that short, I bet I turn about the same times I do in the Vette.

Remember, teacher, it's 90% driver and 10% car.
....I'm taking notes ....forget ILX....bring Viper.....study up on Camaros...okay, I think I get it. Oh, yeah, that must be one heckofa Camaro. It probably has really sticky tires, a mondo alignment, and the like. It must be menacing and, frankly, it sounds like it's faster than all of the Corvettes out there. I may have to stand corrected. I can't wait to see you run this bad boy.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:58 AM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

....I'm taking notes ....forget ILX....bring Viper.....study up on Camaros...okay, I think I get it. Oh, yeah, that must be one heckofa Camaro. It probably has really sticky tires, a mondo alignment, and the like. It must be menacing and, frankly, it sounds like it's faster than all of the Corvettes out there. I may have to stand corrected. I can't wait to see you run this bad boy.
No it's a box stock Camaro that is my wife's daily driver.
As for the tires, they are the 2 year old Goodyears that came on the car.
I'm not saying it's faster than any of the Corvettes out there, just that I'll turn about the same times I do in my Vette.

Teacher remember it's 10% car and 90% driver.
That's why that old Nova does so well out there.

Quick Reply: Camarillo AutoX Sunday Aug 16