Southern California Southern California

Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 10:27 PM
Terry Corp
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NW Events Coordinator

Default Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang!

Hi Mike,

We just arrived back in Oregon after experiencing a truly exciting and magical weekend.....

It was so nice meeting your beautiful wife, Elizabeth, and joining you both at the dinner. She is such a delightful lady! You and I actually had a chance to talk for a while face to face! We were so proud to be associated with all the events and the diverse and talented group of "Suspects" who helped so faithfully with all the hidden details. Your outstanding handling of the MC role at the dinner added an element of class to our "Suspects and Some Friends" dinner.

What a fabulous year for the rally, for Corvette enthusiasts, certainly for the kids of Pacific Grove who will reap the benefits of the money generated from all our collective efforts, and for Troy Roberts and the Corvetteforum.com who were co-sponsors of the Rally this year. The banner was displayed proudly over the podium in recognition of the Forums outstanding support. We had a few very minor glitches here and there in unrelated areas, but all seemed to be quickly resolved.

How wonderful of Dave and Karen Hill, and their very gracious family, to join us at the Pacific Grove Rally, your Historics Corral, and at our "Historics"dinner celebration of the Corvette 50th Aniversary at Laguna Seca. What a warm, beautiful, friendly and talented lady Karen Hill is in her own right. We had advised Forum members all year that this would be an event not to be missed. Those who listened to us all were treated to a series of events that won't be repeated again in our lifetimes.

All the lucky guys and gals who had Dave Hill sign their hats, hoods, fuel rails and other assorted Corvette items have nothing up on my wife, Sue, though. She got a kiss from the man himself!!

The "Usual Suspects" had the privilege of installing five new members and their wives into our small but talented tribe of Corvette enthusiasts. Michael Moore, Bob DePrat, Jim Hall, Alex Fong, and David C. Hill will all proudly wear the "colors" of the "Alphonso Bedoya Brigade of the Usual Suspects."(don't be too excited guys and gals, because much will be expected of you in the future.... :-)

Mike -- It has been such a pleasure to work with you! We attempted to provide an opportunity for everyone to participate in these quality activities in a way we all could be proud of. Absolutely none of it would have been possible without the collective efforts of Ray and Mary Barbour, Herb and Linda Cano, Al and Maria Hall, Steve Paski and his wife, Jorge and Linde Dellinger, Bob and Esther Goodman, Steve and Karen Hummel, Dawson and Mary Mabey, and two of our very favorite people, Mike and Elizabeth Albov. Everyone had a role to play and did it with class.

Pix below are of Dave Hill at the dinner....

Very best wishes,

Terry
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/events...-dave-_hat.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/events...-newmember.jpg
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/events...e-in-shirt.jpg

[Modified by Terry Corp, 8:43 PM 8/21/2002]
Old 08-20-2002, 10:43 PM
4DCYKEY
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang! (Terry Corp)

Terry,

A very nice letter that expresses all of our feelings.

One mustn't ignore the fact that the PG Rally and weekend activities could not have gone on as smoothly as they did without your tremendous efforts in coordinating The Usual Suspects (sorta like herding cats), and your webmaster duties in getting up a usable and informative website. The results of your committed efforts are evident in the successful NW S&S event and in the activities this weekend.

As always, it was great seeing you and Sue again. Linda and I look forward to the next excuse to get together with such a wonderful set of friends.

Herb
Old 08-21-2002, 01:39 AM
FNC80
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

The "Usual Suspects" had the privilege of installing five new members and their wives into our small but talented tribe of Corvette enthusiasts. Michael Moore, Bob DePrat, Jim Hall, Alex Fong, and David C. Hill will all proudly wear the "colors" of the "Alphonso Bedoya Brigade of the Usual Suspects."(don't be too excited guys and gals, because much will be expected of you in the future.... :-)

What an honor to be indicted...I mean INDUCTED...yeah, that's right...INDUCTED into the Suspects along with THE MAN himself. WOW!! :D

Herb mentioned something about a tradition where the new members get their cars washed and Zaino'd by the old members as a sort of welcome-to-the-group gesture. How nice! :)
Old 08-21-2002, 02:23 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

I am with Herb, this weekend was better than excellent due to the effort both you and Mike put into this. Many a night I would see your Emails coming in in the late hours. Your enthusiasm and excitement was infectious.
Thanks for the effort it is appreciated :cheers:
Old 08-21-2002, 02:52 AM
Halls 2
Pro

From one of the spokes of the Usual Suspect wheel of action this was an interesting and rewarding project that started literally a few weeks after the Historics last year. I was fortunate enough to become part of this group. The hub of this wheel that the weight of this project rested on was Terry and Mike. Together they energized the group effort and kept the wheel rolling throughout the year’s effort. The web page was up before Christmas last year, the bulk of the plans were made before the calendar read 2002. You guys are the best!

Seeing old friends and meeting new ones is always fun at these events. This time, however, after the special effort created by this group of Usual Suspects made participating in this something like a family reunion when it all came together. First, at the hotel Thursday evening, followed by the major events Friday and Saturday and capped off by the dinner and awards ceremony. Even the tail-gate parties in the motel parking lot that went into the wee hours of the morning where SoCal challenged NorCal to ‘last man standing’ and CenCal had to referee were fun to witness.

Thank you Terry, Mike, and Ray for not only getting Dave Hill and his family to attend, but for continuing to work behind the scenes while all the others had fun. Ray & Mike guarding the turn 5 corral starting early Saturday morning while all the others caravanned from the Barnyard, and Terry and Sue slipping out during the races on Saturday to ensure that all was ready at the pub for dinner that night. Terry making sure that everyone had a room at the hotel for everyone when he wasn’t sure he even had a room for himself. Mike getting custom hats for the Usual Suspects made, so Dave Hill could sign them and Herb making sure we all had custom Alfonso Bedoya Brigade T-Shirts. Ray making sure that Dave Hill had a corvette to drive in the PG Rally. Mike staying on top of the Laguna Seca and the PG folks for Corvette registration, the turn 5 corral, tickets, passes and generally a maze of detailed coordination on site. Terry & Mike for the Corvette forum representation and sponsorship. And thanks to Steve Paski for putting together a great cruise on Sunday touring the coastal hills, Carmel Valley and the Big Sur Lighthouse. And finally a big thanks to all the spouses and the many others that had their hand in this wonderful event that made it the best to be part of this Corvette family.

Maria and I had such a wonderful time with our corvette friends that stretch from the east to the west, and the north to the south in the US and Canada.

My hat is off to you all.

Thanks, Al & Maria

[Modified by Halls 2, 12:37 AM 8/21/2002]
Old 08-21-2002, 03:28 AM
CALVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Terry,
Have you started next years web page yet. :)

Terry and Sue Putting up the colors while Mary looks on. :)
Old 08-21-2002, 11:58 AM
RDVT4ME
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang! (CALVette)

A big thanks to all you guys. This was truely an event of a lifetime. The cars were great....the people were awesome!!!!
Old 08-21-2002, 01:45 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang! (RDVT4ME)

"Event of a lifetime" pretty much sums it up for us!

My wife Karen, the engineer in the family, has been a big admirer of Dave Hill ever since reading All Corvettes Are Red. If you had told her last week that this would happen, I'd have called you crazy....

Old 08-22-2002, 06:14 PM
NELSONandJOYCE
Advanced

Joyce and I, Also thank all the "Un-officers" TERRY,RAY,HERB,MIKE&DAWSON.
Terry and Sue thank you for introducing us to the gang, it really
made meeting much easier.
Ray it was great sitting with you at the "PUB"
ALL IN ALL IT WAS A GREAT TEN DAYS IN MONTEREY..SAVE THE WAVE!!!! :) :seeya :)

[Modified by NELSONandJOYCE, 4:53 PM 8/22/2002]
Old 08-22-2002, 07:22 PM
4DCYKEY
Race Director

Default Re: Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang! (NELSONandJOYCE)

Nelson and Joyce,

It was great meeting you, too...and you being in Discovery Bay, we are almost neighbors... :cheers:

Herb
Old 08-24-2002, 04:01 PM
powderski13
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all (Mike, Herb, Ray, Steve, Terry, Dawson ......) Chris and I had a wonderful time. The dinner with Dave Hill and Steve's Sunday cruise were truly special. We look forward to seeing everyone again soon. :flag
Randy
Old 08-24-2002, 11:19 PM
Jafco
8th Gear

Terry Corp & Suspects,

It looked like you all had a good time. After it is all said and done. What Exactly did the Ususal Suspects do? call Dave Hill? Didnt he come out 2 years ago already? Looks like you invited the CF to an entire week of Established Events... some that have been running for 23+ years all by themselves. You all showed up in cars and attended the Events and then went home just like the other 30,000 + people that attend the Italian Car show, Pacific Grove Rally and Historics. You guys even had the nerve to thank each other for all the hard work you did before the Events Even happened. :rolleyes:

What are you going to take credit for next?? the Indy 500??

No flames intended... Just a reality check for you guys...

Looking forward to hearing about your next Big Event :sleep:
Old 08-25-2002, 12:03 AM
CALVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang! (Jafco)

Jafco,

Just Another Trucking Computer Operator (Jafco).
You found us out. :bb :bb :bb :bb
Old 08-25-2002, 01:08 AM
Terry Corp
Drifting

NW Events Coordinator

Yep! Indy 500 next - then Daytona.... then you can make a ninth post... :troll
Old 08-25-2002, 01:29 AM
FNC80
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Waaah waaah waaah... :rolleyes:
Old 08-25-2002, 02:56 AM
mikegoat
Burning Brakes

Dear Jafco: Thank you for your perspective. Yep. Every year there is a slew of events here. I didn't see you at any of them. That's one of the reasons organization works. We can actually get together to enjoy some of these events! That is the stupid thing we do. Jaf, its kind of like life: Its out there all around us every day. But to enjoy it, ya gotta suit up and show up. We just try to create opportunities to get together with other like minded people so that we aren't passing like ships in the night among the throngs of 30,000. Its not genius here at all. Just, uh, some work and direction and effort. It would be really cool if you could post some ideas for new things to do and help us organize a huge party around them that everyone is invited to, participates in and has a good time. Its the having a good time part instead of a random time that requires the organization. Where do you park at the Indy 500? Which of the drivers came on your invite? These are things inquiring minds MUST find out. Lay it out there for us and you can help plan the next big party. We look forward to your ideas! :seeya
http://www.aol.americangreetings.com/view.pd?i=287055912&m=9924&source=aol999

[Modified by mikegoat, 1:56 AM 8/25/2002]
Old 08-25-2002, 02:57 AM
Cricket
Burning Brakes

Yep! Indy 500 next - then Daytona.... then you can make a ninth post... :troll
Terry
In case you were unaware of the fact, this is a public forum and any member may post to it as long as they follow the rules of the forum ... regardless of post count. Let's be realistic ... the post count is not a measuring stick as to whether a member may or may not post to a thread.

As for the content of "Jafco's" comments ... it does make one scratch their head and wonder what actually was done by these Usual Suspects with no mention of the city of Pacific Grove doing the organizing, or the role the of the NCM, or the C5Registry, or the NCRS played in this week long of events. Also the Monterey Del Oro and the historics that have been running for over 20 years. It was like the entire week was the organization and execution of the Usual Suspects. I think what this guy was tryiing to point out was ... you showed up, ran a Corvette Corral (as did the NCM) and participated in a dinner.

I had a great time as did most everyone there. How could you not with all those fine automobiles and activities. Why don't you give this guy a break and get over it. He was just voicing his opinion regardless of post count.

Looking forward to next year :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang!

Old 08-25-2002, 05:23 AM
4DCYKEY
Race Director

Default Re: Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang! (Cricket)

As for the content of "Jafco's" comments ... it does make one scratch their head and wonder what actually was done by these Usual Suspects with no mention of the city of Pacific Grove doing the organizing, or the role the of the NCM, or the C5Registry, or the NCRS played in this week long of events. Also the Monterey Del Oro and the historics that have been running for over 20 years. It was like the entire week was the organization and execution of the Usual Suspects. I think what this guy was tryiing to point out was ... you showed up, ran a Corvette Corral (as did the NCM) and participated in a dinner.
Cricket,

I guess you and "Jafco" never clicked on the Monterey 2002 website. Too bad. Information on the Historics, the PG Rally, the del Oro, and the Concorso was all available with direct links to those events.

The intent of The Usual Suspects was fourfold: to ensure that we would have the Turn 5 Corral again this year; to encourage participation in the Pacific Grove Rally that benefits kids; to provide exposure to CF members of all the wonderful activities occurring in August in Monterey; and to have fun as a group of Corvette aficionados.

We succeed on all counts -- we were able to secure the Turn 5 Corral again, the PG Rally had 110 Corvettes show up (the most ever), the Monterey 2002 website was visited by a number of CF members, and The Usual Suspects had a great, memorable time. Oh, by the way, I do believe our efforts also had something to do with David Hill's appearance at the PG Rally again this year and Troy's sponsorship of the PG Rally this year, which also helped the kids.

We have never taken credit for any of the August events mentioned by "Jafco", whom I suspect is someone green with envy hiding behind an alias, but we did provide exposure to these events on a website that I believe made a number of CF members aware of these events that may not have been aware otherwise. I have reread the postings and don't understand where you got your impression: "It was like the entire week was the organization and execution of the Usual Suspects."

You'll have to excuse our enthusiasm for the wonderful time we had this year and expect to have next year, too. The good feelings and vibes of this weekend certainly exceeded other events we have recently experienced. And this can't be taken away by any sour grapes posting...

Herb
Old 08-25-2002, 01:05 PM
DAWS C5
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang! (Cricket)

Cricket. I consider you to be a friend and I hope you won't take any offense, but there were many other activities that went on during the Historics weekend that I don't believe you are aware of. These were created by various usual suspects to enhance the weekend for those participating and to encourage corvette owners to attend. Those expressing their appreciation here were involved in those additonal events. No one is trying to take credit for the weekend itself.

Above I refer to the Historics weekend only. MDO was entirely separate event and there were no CF activities during MDO. The C5 Registry and NCRS were participating in MDO and had no involvement in the Historics. As a member of the group sponsoring MDO, I personally posted some info notices for those that might be interested in the Car Show or Auto-X. MDO by the way was a one-time event.

Jafco either fired before aiming, is trolling, or is just ignorant.

JIm, I hope you and your son will join other CF members next year and enjoy whatever events and activities that appeal to you.
:seeya Dawson
Old 08-25-2002, 02:15 PM
Cricket
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang! (DAWS C5)

We succeed on all counts -- we were able to secure the Turn 5 Corral again, the PG Rally had 110 Corvettes show up (the most ever), the Monterey 2002 website was visited by a number of CF members, and The Usual Suspects had a great, memorable time. Oh, by the way, I do believe our efforts also had something to do with David Hill's appearance at the PG Rally again this year and Troy's sponsorship of the PG Rally this year, which also helped the kids.

Herb,
Like the post says creating a Corvette Corral and having a dinner arranged is important ... as for Dave Hill, if the Usual Suspects were the sole responsibilty for his being there, then I tip my hat. But the truth of the matter is that the Corvette was the marque car for this event (being the 50th Anniversary) and I had heard he was going to be there for that event.

Cricket. I consider you to be a friend and I hope you won't take any offense, but there were many other activities that went on during the Historics weekend that I don't believe you are aware of. These were created by various usual suspects to enhance the weekend for those participating and to encourage corvette owners to attend. Those expressing their appreciation here were involved in those additonal events. No one is trying to take credit for the weekend itself.

Above I refer to the Historics weekend only. MDO was entirely separate event and there were no CF activities during MDO. The C5 Registry and NCRS were participating in MDO and had no involvement in the Historics. As a member of the group sponsoring MDO, I personally posted some info notices for those that might be interested in the Car Show or Auto-X. MDO by the way was a one-time event.

Jafco either fired before aiming, is trolling, or is just ignorant.

JIm, I hope you and your son will join other CF members next year and enjoy whatever events and activities that appeal to you.
:seeya Dawson
Dawson,
I do consider you a friend and I do not take offense to your comment. My intent of the posting was two fold.
One all the congrats that were flying around prior to the event sure made it sound as if this astounding group of elites had done so much in the creation of this weekend. As you mentioned you did make a thread regarding the MDO. But I didn't see any congrats about how wonderful it was to have this posted on the CF. This is the power of the internet and the vehicle used was the CorvetteForum. Let's give credit where credit is due. It would be nice to see something about how great it was to have the participation of the CF members who really made it a success. This was a fine time had by all and there were many people that took time to attend this event from far across the country. I guess maybe I was just getting tired of hearing about US and how the whole weekend was a success because of US. Humility is a great attribute.
Secondly ... it was uncalled for Terry to discredit a persons post (because Jafco was questioning the Usual Suspects involvement) because of post count. Now this could nave been out of ignorance or lack of awareness. But that is why we have an open forum. Let's keep in mind we all started out with one post. Many people don't have the time to spend on the computer to raise the enormous post counts, but it certainly doesn't make their viewpoint any less creditable.

By the way ... my son and I did have a great time and probaly would not have known about this outstanding event had it not been for the CorvetteForum. We are looking forward to next year as well as future events. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Quick Reply: Open note to Mike Albov -- The Monterey gang!