Southern California Southern California

Angeles Crest Cruise 8-29-15

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:05 PM
sheerider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Angeles Crest Cruise 8-29-15

As well as being a corvette forum member I am also a member of a meet up group. The group I belong to is car enthusiast/cruising group. I have set up a cruise to Angeles Crest Hwy and all car enthusiasts are invited. Although I drive a C3 any car is welcome. All the details are in the invite I will copy and paste below.

SoCal Canyon Runners Car Club
Angeles Crest Meet Up
08-29-15
The meet up point will be at the United Artist Theater 1919 Verdugo Blvd. La Canada Flintridge, Ca 91011.The meet up time will be 8:00am. This is also the location of a local weekl y car show so we will check out the cars and give the group time to show up.
At the theater drive straight into the entrance and park at the rear fence line...the car gathering will be to your right...Starbucks & the bathroom to your left.
We will leave the car show at 8:45 sharp so don’t be late.
Leaving this location we will turn left on Verdugo Rd...go to Foothill bl...turn right...go to Angeles Crest Hwy...turn left.
About 19 miles up the hill, there is a tunnel and the dead end of the highway...CalTrans did not repair it after an avalanche. This is a cool sight to see.
Here we will turn around and go to Newcomb’s Ranch inn ( CA-2 hwy La Canada Flintridge Ca 91011).
Here we can let the group gather again.
Now we will get back on the Angeles Crest hwy southbound and drive about 3 miles to Upper Big Tujunga Cyn Rd...turn right. THIS IS A VERY SHARP TURN.........THE SIGN IS TINY SO LOOK OUT...if you miss it you will be headed back to LaCanada where we came from.
When you make the turn onto Upper Big Tujunga , go about 13 miles to Angeles Forest Hwy...at the stop sign, turn right.
Go about 21 miles to Sierra Hwy...at the stop sign, turn left...follow this road about 25 miles to Sand Canyon...Turn left to the Dennys (on right)
We will stop for lunch.
If you want to go home, turn left out of the Dennys parking lot and go right to the 14 fry southbound.
If you want more scenic and winding roads...we will turn right out of Dennys for about 3 miles to Placerita Canyon rd. and turn right follow this for about 7 miles to the 14 fry south...then onto the 5 fry south to home.

The author of this route, Seff, has been up and down every road within the Angeles National Forest for 40 years...He will lead the pack in his Porsche GT3.
The event organizer is Derek.. he will be driving a bright orange 1969 Corvette. Please invite anybody you wish daily drivers, classic cars, sports cars and exotic cars are all welcome. Please be safe on the 'CREST' hwy and be aware of motorcycles!
Old 08-14-2015, 11:51 PM
c6 monkey
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default I'll be there

I'll bring this
Old 08-15-2015, 03:18 PM
sheerider
Intermediate

There have been some minor changes to the route... I will be at the movie theater with printed copies of the route... Nice vette iam glad I won' t be the only vette on the cruise...
Old 08-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The Pomona Valley Corvette Association, did the Angles Crest Highway run a couple years ago, and we were able to start at La Canada Flintridge, and travel the highway all the way to Wrightwood, where we had lunch. It was a great trip, weather was perfect, clear blue skies, around 75 degrees...and there was almost zero traffic on the road that day. I was unaware that a avalanche had closed the road
That's too bad. A few years ago the road was closed due to an avalanche or excessive rain, washing out a portion. It took Caltrans
forever to fix it. I guess that road has a very lower priority on the
maintenance list Photos below show the club stopping for some pictures.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 PM
Twistedpixels
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest not going up the main route off the freeway and instead drive down the 210 to sunland and take Mt Gleason all the way up to the bottom of big Tujunga and go up that way. The route is way nicer with longer straights and high speed turns plus less cars and cyclist or cops in general. You can take it all the way to where it meets the main road a few miles below Newcombs ranch. I and some other friends no longer waste time on the main road due to traffic and speed traps. There is a large parking lot off the 210 west at Sunland exit where everyone can meet as well.

Trust me everyone will enjoy the drive a lot more.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:38 PM
sheerider
Intermediate

The details have changed just a little bit the avalanche area has gotten worse so low cars (Corvettes) won't make it. Twistedpixels the route has been posted on several websites and about 15 people have committed so the route will not be changed anymore. I will copy and paste the new details below. C6 Monkey looking forward to meeting you and any other Corvette people. I will be at the movie theater parking lot with printed directions.

SoCal Canyon Runners Car Club
Angeles Crest Meet Up
08-29-15
The meet up point will be at the United Artist Theater 1919 Verdugo Blvd. La Canada Flintridge, Ca 91011.The meet up time will be 8:00am. This is also the location of a local weekly car show so we will check out the cars and give the group time to show up.
At the theater drive straight into the entrance and park at the rear fence line...the car gathering will be to your right...Starbucks & the bathroom to your left.
We will leave the car show at 8:45 sharp so don’t be late.
Leaving this location we will turn left on Verdugo Rd...go to Foothill bl...turn right...go to Angeles Crest Hwy...turn left.
About 26 miles up the hill to Newcomb’s Ranch inn ( CA-2 hwy La Canada Flintridge Ca 91011).
Here we can let the group gather again.
Now we will get back on the Angeles Crest hwy southbound and drive about 8 miles to Upper Big Tujunga Cyn Rd...turn right. THIS IS A VERY SHARP TURN........
When you make the turn onto Upper Big Tujunga , go about 9 miles to Angeles Forest Hwy...at the stop sign, turn right.
Go about 16 miles to Sierra Hwy...at the stop sign, turn left...follow this road about 20 miles to Santiago Canyon to Crazy Auto’s.
We will stop for lunch at Crazy Auto’s.
If you want to go home, turn left out of the Crazy Auto’s parking lot and go right to the 14 fry southbound.
If you want more scenic and winding roads...we will turn right out of Crazy Auto’s and go about 20 miles to Sand Canyon Rd. Turn left at Sand Canyon Rd. take this road to Placerita Canyon rd. and turn right follow this for about 7 miles to the 14 fry south...then onto the 5 fry south to home.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:14 PM
79CalShark
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I am in town, I'd love to join you guys. The California C3 Stingray group is also planning a run to Wrightwood on September 19. This will be our 2nd run thru the Angelus Crest. Last year, the road was clear of debris and the weather was also perfect. Great route all the way to Wrightwood and, if you enjoys zip lining, a great way to cap the day once you reach your destination.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:29 PM
sheerider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 79CalShark
If I am in town, I'd love to join you guys. The California C3 Stingray group is also planning a run to Wrightwood on September 19. This will be our 2nd run thru the Angelus Crest. Last year, the road was clear of debris and the weather was also perfect. Great route all the way to Wrightwood and, if you enjoys zip lining, a great way to cap the day once you reach your destination.
79calshark can u post a link to the wright wood cruise
Old 08-24-2015, 12:28 AM
79CalShark
Pro

Originally Posted by sheerider
79calshark can u post a link to the wright wood cruise
Here's the link, Sheerider, it in on the C3 General forum

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...htwood-ca.html
Old 08-28-2015, 10:04 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

How many plan on joining the cruise?
Old 08-29-2015, 03:39 PM
c6 monkey
Pro

Default Do I know how to party or what

Got picked up in 45 minutes $190.00 tow good news the motor is OK harmonic balancer got loose moved forward threw the belts I'll fix it myself and be back soon met great people today wish I coulda stayed longer next time!
Old 08-30-2015, 04:35 PM
sheerider
Intermediate

Hey Dave, sorry you broke down the run was awesome and the new pavement on Angeles forest highway was super sticky..
Easily the best drive I have ever been on..some more corvettes would have been nice 😄
Old 08-30-2015, 05:35 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

ACH is more fun during the week...
Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 PM
79CalShark
Pro

Disappointed I couldn't make this cruise but would love to see some pictures, if any are available.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:53 AM
sheerider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 79CalShark
Disappointed I couldn't make this cruise but would love to see some pictures, if any are available.
Sorry no pictures... We laughed as a group later... We were so excited to hit the twisty' s. We all forgot to take pictures...lol
In total we had 12 cars

Last edited by sheerider; 08-31-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:02 PM
79CalShark
Pro

Originally Posted by sheerider
Sorry no pictures... We laughed as a group later... We were so excited to hit the twisty' s. We all forgot to take pictures...lol
In total we had 12 cars
Well, the memories are unforgettable. Glad to hear you had a great time.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:54 AM
c6 monkey
Pro

Default Next time your getting together post it here

I'd definitely be up for that I'm wrenching on my car a little every night parts are coming in the mail from all over the country. I think maybe trying to keep up with a crazy man in one heck of a Porsche going 100 mph red lining in 3rd gear on a mountain road wasn't such a good idea,but that gt3 sure was fun to watch!

Get notified of new replies

To Angeles Crest Cruise 8-29-15

Quick Reply: Angeles Crest Cruise 8-29-15