Southern California Southern California

Transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:22 AM
Vette310
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Transmission Rebuild

Looking for a reliable transmission place that won't break the bank in the South Bay. Will be dropping the car off in the next week to have it done.
Thank you
Old 08-25-2015, 12:46 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

AHP is in the south bay area, and while I don't believe they work on transmissions themselves, they may be able to point in the right direction.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com
Old 08-26-2015, 04:10 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Wish I could help, have no answer. I did check around the area about general repair and clutch work, before American Heritage opened.

THe rest is just to kill time as I eat my morning oatmeal. it says check J and d corvettes, in 25 words or more.

When I bought my car,(C5), it had a mystery noise in the clutch. I was unskilled with this type of car, I hit a few snags testing local garages with small stuff as a fettered the car, looking for help on the harder work.

I was hard up for south bay help, when my radiator plastic cracked, I took it to Tips cadillac , lacking other resources close by. Turns out it was a good shop, they might have a name to call.

If I remember correctly , they steered me to national transmission in lomita, a strong shop with the young owner on site and working . He was very knowledgable and honest. Honest enough to say he hadn't worked on a c5 but knew the trans well, and filled me in about the construction off the top of his head.

IN the end I went out to J and D corvettes , having gotten a couple of mentions from people I asked. I asked a lot of local corvette drivers and a lot use the dealer. I get some parts there, but don't fancy paying 130 bucks a copy for a key I bought down the road for thirty.

I selected J and D because they were $200 less than most to do the work, and they had about five or more work bays full of corvettes, two advantages over national transmission. THe only drawback was that they would only guarantee the work with factory parts, and I was going with a McLeod RST. A production shop, I was well served.

I think because of the complexity of the car, I got a better mechanic, he was the only guy with an old Maserati in his bay, to work on in slack times. They mostly work on older cars.

Later on, I was down at ruby's car show in redondo, and a corvette there was illustrative about the shop. It was a show car with a credit sign in front, mentioning J and D in the credits, and saying they pulled the work and used another shop for the later stages. J and D is not going to pebble beach but is a big successful shop. Turns out Bellflower is still full of performance and other car shops. I enjoyed that, having visions from the hot rod days of my youth, where wheelies and smoking tires were what fast cars did.

I wish I would have know about the reverse gear solenoid when I had the car apart, as the car is old and, well , it is an important part. J and D is not a rush shop, but is focused on production, I would have appreciated a suggestion about the thing, but time is money. go backs kill profits, they like to wait until Electrical stuff fails, not trusting quality control on todays parts. I found this when I asked about replacing the smog sensors, since they were exposed when the car was apart. I threw in the shop time profit part, they didn't bring it up. They framed it as known good part, verses unknown.

Three work bays should generate about a million a year if run properly, they have more and run a good shop. When you pay the bill, you can see pictures of the shop managers hobby, expensive horses.

I had a snag replacing my torque tube, and at one point was in a store room with multiple torque tubes, none suitable for my work. THey were surprised , and perhaps a little disappointed, when I kept my old torque tube. I plan on rebuilding it and using it when I do transmission work, so am interested in the results you achieve with your work.

J and D went used on that part, it was hard to find a good one, the cars are getting old. I didn't want to exceed the shops comfort zone and wind up with a bunch of errors so went with the way they do stuff. I certainly lacked experience and enough expertise to suggest another direction , but slightly regret I didn't push for a rebuild .

The main thing I learned with old cars, you probably know already. It is not the amount of money, it is who is doing the work. Even idiots will quickly learn to charge top dollar and figure the rest our later.

All the best, hope to learn from your results.

Last edited by strand rider; 08-26-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:24 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

We work on transmissions and we are a vette specialty shop. Auto or manuel doesn't matter, we will get you squared away. J&d is more of a c4 and older shop, we specilixze in late model corvettes (c5 and newer).
Give us a call 310-326-2399 or shoot us an email
HP@americanheritageperformance.com
Old 09-04-2015, 12:17 AM
Redrooster97
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a built trans from rpm level 6 $2800

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Rebuild

Quick Reply: Transmission Rebuild