Southern California Southern California

Straight pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 12:57 AM
In Speed We Trust
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight pipes

I currently have corsa extremes on my 2011 base and i want to go a little louder is there a shop around chino hills or other surrounding areas that can put a straight pipe on for me or make one?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by In Speed We Trust
I currently have corsa extremes on my 2011 base and i want to go a little louder is there a shop around chino hills or other surrounding areas that can put a straight pipe on for me or make one?

My nephew, put a set of straight pipes on his 2001 Z06. He got the pipes from Borla, and installed them himself in the garage, just using jack stands. The pipes come right off the Cats..and straight back. They have a wicked sound..not really that loud at idle or cruise..but when you stand on it, people turn around and think..."what the hell is that??" LOL Another thing..a lot of these manufactures exhaust systems like Corsa and B&B..really have a nasty drone at cruising speeds..you don't get that with the straight pipes.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Install a set of long tube headers with an off road pipe that will solve your problem.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:30 PM
aramz06
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any muffler shop should be able to make a straight pipe for you.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:01 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon619
Install a set of long tube headers with an off road pipe that will solve your problem.
California tends to frown on such shenanigans

Whatever you do, don't do both straight pipes AND longtube headers/X... I purchased my H/C/I Z06 in that configuration and the noise and drone was unbearably loud.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I used to run a set of QTP cutouts and that, IMHO, is the best way to go as it gives you the option of mild to wild without the commitment to one or the other.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:07 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
I used to run a set of QTP cutouts and that, IMHO, is the best way to go as it gives you the option of mild to wild without the commitment to one or the other.
Clean setup! Eddie at Best Muffler in Elsinore do the install for you?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:50 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Clean setup! Eddie at Best Muffler in Elsinore do the install for you?
No, but he did do my LS7 refit to my C5 last year.
Attached Images      
Old 09-26-2015, 02:02 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patches
No, but he did do my LS7 refit to my C5 last year.
I remember. I've had him do some welding for me before...good dude. So you're running a completely different system from the heads all the way back, or ???
Old 09-26-2015, 02:14 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

wow nice setup patches, i think that would be on my Next To Do list

how much did the cutouts and the install cost you???
Old 09-26-2015, 05:49 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I remember. I've had him do some welding for me before...good dude. So you're running a completely different system from the heads all the way back, or ???
Originally Posted by MUKAK
wow nice setup patches, i think that would be on my Next To Do list

how much did the cutouts and the install cost you???
Don't want to hijack the OP's thread so I'll answer these and let it be.

I'm running LG 1-7/8" Pro's to what should be the Corsa Extreme's as the catback (just bought the Extreme's from a forum member this week so they're on the way). I pulled my FLP/cutout/GHL and pulled the LS7 setup out for this final setup because that's what I really wanted all along. I'll be selling the LS7 setup and GHL's shortly.

I'm very tempted to add cutouts again as that was the sound I have liked the best, by far, of all the exhausts I've run on my C5 over the years. I had the QTP's welded in and I installed the rest my self many years ago when I lived in Atlanta. That was about 2004. All the fab work by the exhuast shop back then was ~$300 - definitely a bargain for all the work they did. IIRC, the entire setup, including the QTP's cost under $700 total.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rjwz28
California tends to frown on such shenanigans

Whatever you do, don't do both straight pipes AND longtube headers/X... I purchased my H/C/I Z06 in that configuration and the noise and drone was unbearably loud.
Really? Hmm I just installed a set of C6 Z06 mufflers with my off-road system on my 2005 Coupe. This system is quieter than my stock system with B&B Bullets. Oh and not every Californiain has to smog
Old 09-27-2015, 02:15 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Really? Hmm I just installed a set of C6 Z06 mufflers with my off-road system on my 2005 Coupe. This system is quieter than my stock system with B&B Bullets. Oh and not every Californiain has to smog
It's still illegal, whether you have to smog or not, and if you get caught, you're still going to get in trouble. So yes, really. Did you know that they set up emissions checkpoints now?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Torch FRC
Safety Car

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

It's still illegal, whether you have to smog or not, and if you get caught, you're still going to get in trouble. So yes, really. Did you know that they set up emissions checkpoints now?

Have not seen any of those for a few years. Are they still doing that?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:36 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Torch FRC
Have not seen any of those for a few years. Are they still doing that?
Saw one roadside in the city of orange during a weekday within the last 6 months.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:17 PM
c5wolf
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Saw one in moorpark and one by castaic as well
Old 09-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

No I was born yesterday, with all sarcasm aside RJ the all knowing one. Those road side check points are voluntary yes voluntary. I've been there done that, been to the BAR for inspection so I have a little knowledge are California Smog rules. The reason for posting MY OPINION is to share my experiences on the subject. Thank you for the update on what's illegal and what's not.

Get notified of new replies

To Straight pipes

Old 09-30-2015, 12:58 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Default Straight pipes

No I was born yesterday, with all sarcasm aside RJ the all knowing one. Those road side check points are voluntary yes voluntary. I've been there done that, been to the BAR for inspection so I have a little knowledge are California Smog rules. The reason for posting MY OPINION is to share my experiences on the subject. Thank you for the update on what's illegal and what's not.
Excuse me, but you're the one who called ME out regarding my comment about Cali being unfriendly to headers. Your condescending tone is completely unnecessary.

I assume your "really?" was directed at my comment regarding Cali and headers. If it was a response to my comment about longtubes with straight pipes causing done, your reply was even more off base, as the noise level of your car with headers and C6 Z06 mufflers would be expected to be quieter than my car was with headers and NO MUFFLERS (straight pipes).

Last edited by rjwz28; 09-30-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Excuse me, but you're the one who called ME out regarding my comment about Cali being unfriendly to headers. Your condescending tone is completely unnecessary.

I assume your "really?" was directed at my comment regarding Cali and headers. If it was a response to my comment about longtubes with straight pipes causing done, your reply was even more off base, as the noise level of your car with headers and C6 Z06 mufflers would be expected to be quieter than my car was with headers and NO MUFFLERS (straight pipes).
Ok RJ, you talk/type like your schooling someone with your post this was reason of my quote/reply to your post. I'm not concerned about my edict on how I post towards anyone. Take a look at what you post, then reread my post. My reply was based on your quote plain and simple. If you don't like my opinion on how I navigate the California smog rules then that's your problem. Have a nice day.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:41 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Default Straight pipes

Ok RJ, you talk/type like your schooling someone with your post this was reason of my quote/reply to your post. I'm not concerned about my edict on how I post towards anyone. Take a look at what you post, then reread my post. My reply was based on your quote plain and simple. If you don't like my opinion on how I navigate the California smog rules then that's your problem. Have a nice day.
You know you're not the only one reading this information, right? Clarifying that smog-exempt areas of California are still expected to abide by CARB restrictions on modifications is important. I wasn't "schooling" you; I was making sure misinformation wasn't being spread.

Quick Reply: Straight pipes