Southern California Southern California

For You Members That Know Me and Others - I Had A Bad Wreck Roll-Bar Saved My Life!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:12 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Glad to hear that you are alright. I have a similar question to Steve's.... From the pictures it looks like the stock roll structure did its job and didn't get crushed to the point where the aftermarket roll bar helped. How did the aftermarket bar help? I'm not saying it didn't help, I just can't see from the pictures how it did. More detail would be helpful.

Thanks,
Charley
Look at the post #68 on the thread hear and you tell me if it helped after rolling 5 times the Bar helped - This guy rolled at 35 MPH
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-wreck-4.html

Look at the pictures right above that I just posted when I installed the bar and its location - with that much force and the rolling of the Vette that many times the factory structure would of crushed -

Thanks,Matt
Old 01-02-2016, 12:18 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----

Glad to hear that you are alright. I have a similar question to Steve's.... From the pictures it looks like the stock roll structure did its job and didn't get crushed to the point where the aftermarket roll bar helped. How did the aftermarket bar help? I'm not saying it didn't help, I just can't see from the pictures how it did. More detail would be helpful.

Thanks,
Charley
Charley,

I don't encourage anyone to roll their Vette by any means and I understand your question - but you seem like a logical person - so I ask this, and you give me "More Detail Please", do you think that the Halo is structured to roll over 5 times at 70 MPH and not crush or bend or anything else?

Brother I am alive and the two combined saved my life there is your detail - the only other thing one can do is look at othe C5 Vettes that have rolled without Roll-Bars under the Halo or otherwise and see how they faired and take a C5 and do a test (not recommended)

That's all I'm saying!

Thanks,Matt
Old 01-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Charley,

I don't encourage anyone to roll their Vette by any means and I understand your question - but you seem like a logical person - so I ask this, and you give me "More Detail Please", do you think that the Halo is structured to roll over 5 times at 70 MPH and not crush or bend or anything else?

Brother I am alive and the two combined saved my life there is your detail - the only other thing one can do is look at othe C5 Vettes that have rolled without Roll-Bars under the Halo or otherwise and see how they faired and take a C5 and do a test (not recommended)

That's all I'm saying!

Thanks,Matt
Don't get me wrong... I am just trying to understand what happens when these cars crash. I did a bit of research when my roll bar was designed so I am interested in how to stay safe. Glad you are safe after this terrible crash. I am by no means an expert, but from the picture it looks like the main structure did the majority of the life saving... That is why I was asking if there was something that wasn't visible in the pictures that would add to understanding how the aftermarket roll bar helped. Like bends, scrapes, etc. from the picture it looks like the roll bar was the only part that wasn't damaged. To me it seems like that indicates that the Halo protected the roll bar. Perhaps the roll bar added additional stiffness that helped.

Again very glad you are alright.

Charley
Old 01-02-2016, 04:05 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't get me wrong... I am just trying to understand what happens when these cars crash. I did a bit of research when my roll bar was designed so I am interested in how to stay safe. Glad you are safe after this terrible crash. I am by no means an expert, but from the picture it looks like the main structure did the majority of the life saving... That is why I was asking if there was something that wasn't visible in the pictures that would add to understanding how the aftermarket roll bar helped. Like bends, scrapes, etc. from the picture it looks like the roll bar was the only part that wasn't damaged. To me it seems like that indicates that the Halo protected the roll bar. Perhaps the roll bar added additional stiffness that helped.

Again very glad you are alright.

Charley
Charley,

I understand what you are trying to understand - but maybe you are looking at it the wrong way -

Perhaps, and maybe you could call Wolfe Racecraft to confirm it, they "Designed" it to go under the Halo for the best support and protection and life saving capabilities (and I'm glad they did) -

I believe it was designed that way and NOT just for stiffness, indeed it was not a Krey stiffener bar, it was a ROLL-BAR!

"If" you do indeed study the pictures of my crash you will see on both sides of the halo they are cracked through -

Charley, if you have a coupe or otherwise I suggest you purchase a roll-bar for protection for your benefit - it's only a suggestion, because one never knows what may happen!

Thanks,Matt
Old 01-04-2016, 08:19 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank G-d you are alright Matt! Cars are replaceable.

(rollbar installed here)

Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Wow Matt, that is incredible!

I'm so glad you're ok.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Posts like this make me feel like my purchase was well worth it.

I purchased my insurance two months ago. Installed it on my own, top still fits in the back.
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Z28STYLE23
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Matt. What an ordeal. Musta been crazy to experience. Glad you are ok and getting better. Take care bro
Old 01-10-2016, 10:36 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Richor
Posts like this make me feel like my purchase was well worth it.

I purchased my insurance two months ago. Installed it on my own, top still fits in the back.
Use SFI 45.1 roll bar padding for areas close to your head. That pad is for helmets but it is softer on the unhelmeted head than the exposed bar.

Where does the front of your rollover hoop connect to? I have never seen that in an interiored C5
Old 01-11-2016, 12:10 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I will add this. The front of rollover hoop connects to door bars for added side impact safety.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:57 AM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Holy ****, i just saw this. So glad you did not get hurt Matt. Damn,,,Wow, that was one hell of a crash dude. I was in nanny/mod timeout ,thats why i didn't see this until now. Glad your alive and unhurt miraculously, as i know these story's don't always end happily. I lost my youngest and closest brother in a roll over in 1980,in a 1970 Mach 1, he was only 17. I never got over it. His 53rd birthday would have been on Jan. 16. Man , i'm am so happy your still with us.I'm in tears right now, for my brother and for you, for still being here with us as i know first hand how it devastates those who love you. This is the best news i have heard this year. thank god your ok man, thank god ,,,,,, and that roll bar
Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ONE BMF
Holy ****, i just saw this. So glad you did not get hurt Matt. Damn,,,Wow, that was one hell of a crash dude. I was in nanny/mod timeout ,thats why i didn't see this until now. Glad your alive and unhurt miraculously, as i know these story's don't always end happily. I lost my youngest and closest brother in a roll over in 1980,in a 1970 Mach 1, he was only 17. I never got over it. His 53rd birthday would have been on Jan. 16. Man , i'm am so happy your still with us.I'm in tears right now, for my brother and for you, for still being here with us as i know first hand how it devastates those who love you. This is the best news i have heard this year. thank god your ok man, thank god ,,,,,, and that roll bar
Thank you and that means a lot - I am still recouping from the fractured neck but doing much better now and glad to be here -

I am so sorry for your loss death is an enemy no matter what age or how it happens it leaves a damage path in its wake for a long long time!

You take care and see you around, hopefully we will meet in person sometime soon, and I can drive my new Vette soon (once I get doctors clearance to drive )

Thanks,Matt

Quick Reply: For You Members That Know Me and Others - I Had A Bad Wreck Roll-Bar Saved My Life!!